Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I am on the verge of buying a Cambridge Audio DACMagic DAC.

One of the things CA claims is that optical audio from computers (like Macs) is not metronomically syncronous -- i.e. that some bits are delivered out of order, yielding unwanted overtones.

With AirPlay or AirTunes, is there such jitter present? Will a good DAC sort this problem out? Will there be a noticeable sound improvement?

My signal is ultimately being played through B&W 685s. I have to say that, at the moment, I think the sound has room for improvement that has little to do with my my speakers. Current setup is AirTunes playing ALAC > integrated amp > 685s.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This is a rather complicated question, and like many 'high-end' audio issues, probably able to be beat to death without coming up with a clear answer. I'd suggest you try it out for yourself and see if the sound meets your standards. It's only $100, has lots of other uses even if it doesn't meet your needs for this spot in the house, or can be re-sold easily.

My experience is that I've been using the Airport Express to relay music around the house for years - including one to my DAC Magic in my bedroom hooked up to a high-end headphone amp. I find it to sound great, and I can't tell the difference between a CD playing through the DAC Magic, and music served from iTunes. The latter is certainly more convenient! In general, the Airport Express has been considered a minor audiophile hit over the years, as it transfers a loss-less digital signal cheaply and easily. The only major criticism I've heard of it is that it is not compatible with high-res formats.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
But to be clear, do you think that the DACMagic improves the sound coming via your AirPort Express?

It's £200 here for a DACMagic, or something over $300.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ah, sorry. Now I see what you are after. Honestly, either I don't have the best ear for digital changes, or they really are so subtle that it's insignificant. I might be able to tell the difference in a double blind test, but I wouldn't bet anything on it. I'd say the DA converter is about the last place I'd spend money on my audio system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.