Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mterrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I have enjoyed the forums, and realize how little I know. So you know, I am working with a PC, and am running the lates iTunes (10.1?). I have moved my iTunes files to an external hard drive. I have identified the new location in the Preferences>Advanced folder. I have clicked through on File>Library>Consolidate Library ... and nothing happens.

I did the move a while back, and had things working fine. For some reason, my external drive was remapped to a different drive path ... but I have now identified the correct folder. Is there soething else I need to copy other than the music files?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Well...the consolidation has already occurred since you manually moved the files. Ideally, you should specify a new empty folder/drive for your library without moving a thing and then ask iTunes to consolidate...which essentially does the moving of the files and putting them in the correct location for you.

EDIT: Yes, it's more than the music files...which is why you should have allowed iTunes to consolidate the files rather than you moving them yourself. I don't know exactly which files you need to now move manually, perhaps someone on here will help?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.