Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwhty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I have a weird behavior with my MBP, that's only occurring every now and then, which makes it hard to diagnose what the cause of this is. At the moment, I'd just say it's occurring randomly.

This is how it occurs: I close the lid and walk away from the machine. I come back and open the lid and what I see is:
1. The screen is black and the keyboard backlight is off
2. The power LED is off (as it should be when the system is running)
3. Clicking the trackpad or pressing any keys doesn't bring it back on
4. If I close the lid again, the power LED is on all the time (instead of alternating on/off as it usually does when going to sleep)
5. The bottom of the machine is very hot (feels like over 120°F/50°C)
7. If I press down the power button until the machine goes off, I can restart it and everything looks normal (a couple of times, though, my clock/date were reset to Jan 1. 2001 12:00AM I think, and my desktop icons were scrambled).

I use no peripherals and no fan control or other tweaking software (besides iStat Dashboard Widget, but that shouldn't be the cause). My system is up-to-date.

I also had an issue with the MBP not responding to the power button at all. When it did start after several tries to turn it on, it was very slow and the fans were running at 6000 rpm. I found the symptoms to be just like described on this Apple Support page which proposed an SMC reset, which indeed solved the problem. This occurred twice so far in June and September.

Anyone recognizing the symptoms? Or any ideas what this might be related to?
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.