Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I'm thinking about getting the Apple TV and I was wondering if it's possible to connect both my TV and stereo to it simultaneously. If I use the audio from my TV I would just then need to connect the HDMI cable and I'll be all set for the TV? Would that then allow me to connect my stereo to the Apple TV so I could stream from my computer to it? I see from the tech specs that there is an optical audio port. Are there any optical audio to RCA converters? Thanks...

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You'll need to convert the digital signal coming from the ATV optical output to an anolog signal to feed into your stereo. So you'll need a digital to anolog converter...

I solved the problem by connecting the speakers to the analog audio output of my tv, so the tv is doing the DAC for me... It means having to turn on the tv to listen to music though obviously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.