Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
ZooGue Smart Kase V2

I received my ZooGue Smart Kase V2 in the mail today. I was a fan of the original. I thought the innovation of the built in stand with velcro to put it at any angle was great. The quality was top notch and extremely well made. I had very few minor complaints with the case.

Well, version 2 has fixed all my complaints, and even fixed some I didn't realize until they were fixed. In my opinion, version 2 is superior in every way.

First and foremost, and what seems to be the biggest turn off for many people were the large size of the logos on the case. They are now, small and reasonable, and it makes the case more professional looking. A huge improvement over the original.

The dock port hole was widened to now allow a perfect fit for the USB / Camera adapter while the case is on.

The edge around the screen is cut back 1/4" so it's not covering the full black edge, This is nice when trying to touch near the edges of the screen.

You slide the iPad into the case from the side now, not the top, and it's held closed by a leather strap that tucks inside, and velcro's for a seamless look, instead of the snap and strap on the top. A very nice feature as well.

All the cut outs are more precise, and the fit is slightly more snug then the original. You SHOULD be able to still use a skin, but I don't have one on, so I'm guessing just by the feel of it as you put the iPad in the case.

The Stand on the back now has a arched cut away, so moving the angle is easier to do. That same piece is just a TINY bit shorter, so it doesn't go all the way the the edge when the case is closed normally. Why I like this, the velcro doesn't touch the surface of anything if you lean or stand the case upright, so it doesn't pick up lint, fuzz, or hair as easy.

The inside material used this time is softer and a dark grey. Nice contract to the black. Over all the materials are fantastic, top quality and the manufacturing and build on this is incredible for a China made case. Closing the case even lays better then the original.

If I had even one complaint I would have liked for a magnet system, or even some sort of snap to hold the case open when using it, instead of having to use the velcro straps each time. And speaking of straps, they are still on the case to use this around a headrest of a car.

I highly recommend this case, or at least try to see one in person to judge.

Sorry for the photos, I snapped them quick with the phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 167

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
And one more photo to show you the larger dock opening.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 133

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I have the original, and I agree with the OP that vs2 address's all the short comings of vs1. The biggest thing for me is seeing the border around the screen reduced.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
ZooGue Smart Kase V2
Isn't it called the ZooGue Case Genius now? Either way, I bought mine tonight. I hope it wasn't a mistake.

I have a concern though. The inner side of the case lid is soft microfiber and is what touches whatever surface you set the case on, when in the stand position. Seems to me it can get dirty and worn out. I certainly then don't want to flip a dirty inner cover onto my iPad's screen.

Last edited:

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Received my ZooGue version 2 case today. I got the Portrait iPad Mount as well, it was free but you do have to pay for the shipping of it.

Overall I like this case but do have two issues. The weight of the iPad causes the framing to bulge out when using the portrait mount. Pretty sure I won't use my iPad this way now. I also still have concerns about using the inner cover felt as the bottom surface when folding out the case. It makes it vulnerable to damage, depending on the counter surface.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Received my ZooGue version 2 case today. I got the Portrait iPad Mount as well, it was free but you do have to pay for the shipping of it.

Overall I like this case but do have two issues. The weight of the iPad causes the framing to bulge out when using the portrait mount. Pretty sure I won't use my iPad this way now. I also still have concerns about using the inner cover felt as the bottom surface when folding out the case. It makes it vulnerable to damage, depending on the counter surface.

My wife had the same concern with the felt. She uses it upside down a lot, like an "A" frame, so the felt is facing back and not down. Once that velcro is locked, it won't open on you. Try it that way and see if that works for you.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Once that velcro is locked, it won't open on you.
I'm not what you're talking about here, unless you are talking about using one of the straps. Only one of the straps will stick to the felt. It's less adjustable this way for sure.

I just wish this case didn't use felt, where clearly this part of the case was supposed to be the bottom when folded out. Not sure what they were thinking in doing this. Considering the inside of the cover didn't even have to be felt, because it will never contact the iPad's screen due to the leather boarder. Guess we have to wait for version 3 for them to finally get it right.

AlexAMoser

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Inside Cover Felt

I have had my ZooGue for about a month now and the inside felt on my case is still pretty clean, but I guess depends where you use it. Ya I would say next time they should just make the inside cover just with like leather, but other than that I love it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.