Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
First, all credit goes to Zone-MR for his AirVideoEnabler hack which enables AirPlay in 3rd party apps. It can be found on his repo at cydia.zone-mr.net.

I am just aggregating all known working apps (and non working apps) with this hack. Note, user Evegnyy noticed that where there is a bespoke menu (I.e. 30 second rewind button) the videos do not work with airvideo. All videos that have default player controls work. Also videos that show QuickTime logo before playing work fine. YMMV.

Please specify if what device you are testing on. Those listed below have been tested on the iPad and iPhone 4.

Confirmed Working Apps / Sites
Safari
Zumocast App
IMDB App trailers
Flixter App trailers
Yahoo Entertainment App
Goodreader App
ESPN Scorecenter App (Highlight videos)
NHL Gamecenter App
MLB App (Highlights)
TvCatchup.com (via Safari)
FilmOn.com (via Safari)
Hockeystream.com (via Safari)

Reported Non-Working Apps / Sites
Dailymotion
BBC iPlayer through Safari
Plex - "An error occurred" message on Apple TV
Klexi - "An error occurred" message on Apple TV
Air Video - Spinner on Apple TV, times out back to menu after a bit [SEE POSTS BELOW FOR MORE DETAIL]
Hulu Plus - Custom video player
ABC Player - Custom video player
SkyFire (tested on the Daily Show website) - "An error occurred" message
Streamtome - Only audio, appears to use Custom video player

Last edited:

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
In other words extremely limited at this time? I'm sure the Dev or others will improve the airplay capabilities with a few more weeks of experience.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Cameral Roll Videos?

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong since no one else has posted, but I cannot get videos from my camera roll to play. Yes, I'm jailbroken, yes on 4.2.1. I've tried both Allplay and Airvideoenabler . I've removed them both and started over, reprung, hard boot, everything. They work with all the known good apps, but there is no airplay icon when playing videos I shot, and when I try the double click home, swipe over and choose airplay from there, it acts just like it did before.. turns blue for a sec like it wants to and then plays on the phone..

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong since no one else has posted, but I cannot get videos from my camera roll to play. Yes, I'm jailbroken, yes on 4.2.1. I've tried both Allplay and Airvideoenabler . I've removed them both and started over, reprung, hard boot, everything. They work with all the known good apps, but there is no airplay icon when playing videos I shot, and when I try the double click home, swipe over and choose airplay from there, it acts just like it did before.. turns blue for a sec like it wants to and then plays on the phone..

Same issue for me. Any fix for camera roll vids over airplay?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tvcatchup.com and filmOn.com both work through safari!!! :)

EDIT: oops, sorry that should have been TVcatchup.com. not tvvatchup :)

Last edited:

Arnoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Considering that this thread is in the iPhone section, i assume that you are collecting informations about Airvideoenabler working or not on iPhone? not iPad?

Because in my case, Airvideoenabler is working with the Airvideo app like a charm (1080p streaming) from my iPhone 3GS but very poorly working from my iPad (only works by downgrading streaming bitrates in Airvideo app options).

Anyone inthis case?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Considering that this thread is in the iPhone section, i assume that you are collecting informations about Airvideoenabler working or not on iPhone? not iPad?

Because in my case, Airvideoenabler is working with the Airvideo app like a charm (1080p streaming) from my iPhone 3GS but very poorly working from my iPad (only works by downgrading streaming bitrates in Airvideo app options).

Anyone inthis case?

Sorry, can't help you there, haven't got an iPad :)

What does the Airvideo app do, same thing as the VLC app?

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Someone sent me a standalone app to play movies located in the camera roll. I am going to see if that person is planning on releasing it to Cydia or not. It works great on the iPad, though at the moment, only shows videos in the Saved Album, not all the events as well.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I Should clarify because i have assumed people are listing iphone apps/sites that work and then i am testing on my iPad to confirm. I will make that clear.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
Someone sent me a standalone app to play movies located in the camera roll. I am going to see if that person is planning on releasing it to Cydia or not. It works great on the iPad, though at the moment, only shows videos in the Saved Album, not all the events as well.

This would be great. I've been unjailbroken, but this would be enough for me to go back. Keep us updated.

Arnoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Sorry, can't help you there, haven't got an iPad :)

What does the Airvideo app do, same thing as the VLC app?

Let me explain:
On the airvideo iPad App you can chose the bitrates at which your computer is streaming your movie to your iPad.

IMG_0001.jpg

Well if i choose something higher than 512Kbit/sec (which is terrible quality...) and i try to Airplay a movie from my iPad to my ATV the loading wheel will spin for 5-10 sec and than the ATV will go back to default menu.
But if I choose a small bitrates (like 384Kbit/sec) the movie will be streamed to the ATV but quality is unwatchable.

On the opposite on my iPhone 3GS, i let the params of Airvideo by default and it streams very well and quality is quite good (not breathtaking, but watchable)

Any idea??
I which Zone_mr which is the great dev behind Airvideoenabler could have a look on that thread...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Confirmed as working:

Zumocast works on the iPad (didn't watch the whole movie but it sent it no problem with DD).
Hockeystream.com in Safari on iPad.

glitch82

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Let me explain:
On the airvideo iPad App you can chose the bitrates at which your computer is streaming your movie to your iPad.

IMG_0001.jpg

Well if i choose something higher than 512Kbit/sec (which is terrible quality...) and i try to Airplay a movie from my iPad to my ATV the loading wheel will spin for 5-10 sec and than the ATV will go back to default menu.
But if I choose a small bitrates (like 384Kbit/sec) the movie will be streamed to the ATV but quality is unwatchable.

On the opposite on my iPhone 3GS, i let the params of Airvideo by default and it streams very well and quality is quite good (not breathtaking, but watchable)

Any idea??
I which Zone_mr which is the great dev behind Airvideoenabler could have a look on that thread...

I can confirm that this is true, although I've additionally been able to play high bitrate video, with intermittent success, by attempting to pause playback after switching the output device to my ATV. I also found that there's a bug that causes the video to start near the end. Often I can force playback to start from the beginning by rewinding the video using my ATV remote, although this doesn't work consistently (even for the same video) and I'll often find that playback quits. Once the stream is working, however, it's very stable. I believe the issue might be related to how certain app developers are handling the stream buffer, and I'm tempted to try coding a quick and dirty video playback app myself just to explore different parameters to see if it's possible to create a fully functioning app that's compatible with the AirPlay hack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluntness

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
I can confirm that eurosport player is working on iPhone 4 over AirPlay!
Also sky news works within the Sky mobile tv app. However none of the sports channels seem to work! It should be, you would think as simple as a coding tweak in the app to get the sports channels to work the same way the news channel works? I have been looking and trying out different things, but with no success! I am no coder, so perhaps someone with a bit more coding knowledge will take a closer look at this and get it working for everybody out there.

tr0n

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Does AirVideo Enabler work in Photo app? I am on iPhone 3G, and trying to enable AirPlay. I downloaded AirVideo Enabler from Cydia, but I'm not seeing the AirPlay icon. Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.