Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
Very little out there on the issue I am having.

Issue: When I connect to my companies Cisco Concentrator 3000 using the 3G iphone's VPN client over 3G or Edge, I can connect, but I cannot do anything after that. I cannot go to websites internal or external, check emails etc. Now over wifi, I can connect to the VPN and do all of this stuff with no issues, so I know its not the VPN.

Attempts At Fix: I called ATT who put me on the $45 Enterprise Data Plan. This did not help a bit.

Anyone else go through this and get it working?

Update: I found that I can make a connection to my VPN, but that the resultant DNS server that is returned is not poked into the resolv.conf, so the iphone has no resolver. I found that if I used IP address to go to my hosts that I could get to them. This is a bug in the Cisco VPN client for the iphone I believe. What is strange is that I have no such problems with WiFi.

jporter67

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
help

what app are you using to access your servers? Are you using Safari and typing an internal IP address, or are you using an RDP application? I can't seem to connect now. I had it working perfectly on a 3G and upgraded to a 3G S, and now I can't seem to get it working. I too see the VPN Icon to show me I am connected. I know we are not using proxy or mac address filtering.

Any suggestions?

jp

dolfnfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
I've got the exact same problem. I can establish a VPN connection just fine over 3G, but I cannot 'see' anything on the network - internal Web sites, servers, etc - once I'm connected. Doesn't matter if I use IP addresses or DNS.
When I establish a VPN connection over WiFi everything works perfectly and I can VNC &/or RDP to internal PCs.
This almost has to be a VPN server config issue, right?

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem as the OP.

3Gs, OS 3.1, AT&T, Cisco vpn at work, IPSec connect on iPhone, server using IP address.

WiFi fine, cellular networks not so much.

dstranathan

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2003
Count me in too.

3GS, OS 3.1, AT&T, Cisco IPSec VPN tunnel to Cisco 3000 series concentrator.

WiFi works fine, AT&T cellular networks doesn't work. I can connect and authenticate but I can resolve IPs or hostnames to internal hosts on my LAN.

I also tried our Cisco ASA too and got the same problem.

kmoncada

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Count me in as well.

I'm considering downgrading from 3.1.2 to 3.0.1 on my 3G until there's a fix for the Cisco VPN issues we've been all having. Because before I upgraded my wife's phone from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2, I tried my VPN settings and was able to "remote desktop". I initially thought that the Jaadu RDP auto discovery feature, may have prevented me from VPNing while on 3.1.2. (opening many ports may look like i'm hacking the system), but it looks like there's something iffy 3.1.2 that's preventing me from being able to VPN over 3G.

kmoncada

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Finally got VPN over 3G working.

Found this url on a thread, from a guy that was attempting to establish a VNC connection to his iPhone 3G fw3.1.2. (just in case he ever lost his iPhone.)

unlockit.co.nz

Step 1) Please visit this url on your iPhone
Step 2) Click "Custom APN"
Step 3) Select your carrier from the dropdownlist
Step 4) Click "Create Profile"
Step 5) Install

Then power cycle your phone (aka turn it off then on)

As to why this fixes my VPN connection is beyond my knowledge. Good luck. =)

kpowdk

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Did anyone find a solution

Hi,

This is an old thread, but I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on my Iphone 4 with 3GS/Edge.
Did anyone find a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.