Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
That's actually a very good point I hadn't thought of yet. iOS updates are free. They make more than enough from the AppStore. Mac OS updates might become free as well.

Now that would make my day. Yet i feel as if NOW is not the time. However, if they did, they would blow away Windows because Windows 7 (Home Premium) cost around £75 to upgrade!

I just wouldn't bet the chances. :eek:

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
Now that would make my day. Yet i feel as if NOW is not the time. However, if they did, they would blow away Windows because Windows 7 (Home Premium) cost around £75 to upgrade!

I just wouldn't bet the chances. :eek:

Yep all those people who buy PC's will upgrade to Lion instead... wait that doesnt make sense since OS X doesnt run on non Apple hardware (minus hackintoshing).

Well maybe actually... Snow Leopard's $29 upgrade killed Windows 7. Oops, it didnt do that either. Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS ever.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Ios upgrades were not free for iPods till ios 4.0 iPhones were because of carriers. Idk why they are free for iPods now besides the fact most iPod users are 10 and don't wana buy the update or because u can download the update legally off the Internet for free and install it just as easily but......

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Yep all those people who buy PC's will upgrade to Lion instead... wait that doesnt make sense since OS X doesnt run on non Apple hardware (minus hackintoshing).

Well maybe actually... Snow Leopard's $29 upgrade killed Windows 7. Oops, it didnt do that either. Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS ever.

well comparing Windows 7 sales to Snow Leopard's sales is stupid
how many computers can you run Windows 7 on?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
10.7/Lion will cost $129, just like every previous version, save for Snow Leopard, which wasn't as major of an upgrade as previous version.

TEG

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
10.7/Lion will cost $129, just like every previous version, save for Snow Leopard, which wasn't as major of an upgrade as previous version.

I doubt it. From what I've heard, if you're a developer, you get the major OS updates as part of that package. So, if being a developer is $99/yr, and Apple charges $129 for the OS upgrade, lots of people will just pay to become a dev and get the upgrade to Lion for, essentially, $30 off the asking price.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works. I see $99 or a little less as the likely price.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I doubt it. From what I've heard, if you're a developer, you get the major OS updates as part of that package. So, if being a developer is $99/yr, and Apple charges $129 for the OS upgrade, lots of people will just pay to become a dev and get the upgrade to Lion for, essentially, $30 off the asking price.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works. I see $99 or a little less as the likely price.

Dev's get the release sometime around WWDC right?
At least those that haven't had it for six months now.
Well maybe that is Apple sneaky plan.
Sure not everyone will go that way but think of how many developers Steve can claimed joined the program on the back of the AppStore opening.

Marketing Gold right there.
until they find out there are more developers than users.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I must say that I'll have to agree with what most others are saying and say in between $79-$129. Considering Lion will be more of an update than Snow Leopard was. Unless something truly amazing comes with it though, I don't believe I'll make the upgrade just yet. I'm a broke ass college student, why spend money when I don't need to :p haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.