Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
My iTunes folder is in /Louis/Music/iTunes, but for some reason iTunes keeps creating a separate folder /Macintosh HD/Music and dumping a few songs by a few different artists there. I've tried 'consolidating' the library twice, deleting the songs from iTunes and re-adding them. I have the 'keep iTunes music folder organized' option as well as the 'copy files into iTunes folder' options checked. Nothing works. What is wrong? It makes absolutely no sense why it would create it's own random folder and dump the songs there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media folder location

What path does it show there?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
/Users/Louis/Music/iTunes
and it's been set as that forever.
You might try quitting iTunes, then restarting it after deleting the iTunes preference file, located here:
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist​

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Just did that. Didn't work. When I drag something into iTunes, it puts the file in /Macintosh HD/Music ... I don't know why it's creating that folder and putting stuff in there when my iTunes Media folder is clearly not set there. I'm baffled.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Try unticking those two options and let us know what happens when you import your music.

That worked. I then put the 'Millionyoung' folder into my iTunes Media folder, then File > Add to library. It didn't make the new folder this time.

Any reason why it was doing this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That worked. I then put the 'Millionyoung' folder into my iTunes Media folder, then File > Add to library. It didn't make the new folder this time.

With the boxes checked, iTunes makes a copy of any file you add to the library and puts the music in your iTunes Media folder, using its own filing method. That means you have duplicate songs on your hard drive, unless you delete the originals. When you uncheck the boxes, iTunes just adds the music to your library, but leaves the files where they are. The fact that it was adding it to another folder indicates the .plist file might have been corrupt.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
With the boxes checked, iTunes makes a copy of any file you add to the library and puts the music in your iTunes Media folder, using its own filing method. That means you have duplicate songs on your hard drive, unless you delete the originals. When you uncheck the boxes, iTunes just adds the music to your library, but leaves the files where they are. The fact that it was adding it to another folder indicates the .plist file might have been corrupt.

But it did it anyway after I deleted the .plist file you mentioned.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

I've always stored all my music on an external hard drive and the same happened to me when I started using iTunes about seven years ago. I've run it with those two options unticked since then and I've had no further problems. :)

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
This is the first you mentioned that you deleted the plist. It helps if you give feedback, so we can offer accurate help.

I mentioned it, the other guy replied before me so it caused some confusion. Now when I recheck those boxes, without touching anything else, it re-creates the /Macintosh HD/Music folder and moves the songs to there. What the hell?

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I've always stored all my music on an external hard drive and the same happened to me when I started using iTunes about seven years ago. I've run it with those two options unticked since then and I've had no further problems. :)

I've been using iTunes for years dragging my originals into itunes, letting them get copied into my iTunes folder, then deleting the originals. This is my first time having a problem. It's the weirdest thing I've encountered in awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.