Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strathawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Hi all. I'm dealing with an irritating problem. I recently updated my ipad to os 4 with no problems and was enjoying it greatly. Afterward, I loaded Pages and Atomic Browser.

Anyway, I was surfing the net on Atomic Browser and then turned the ipad off momentarily to grab something from the kitchen. When I came back, the Ipad would not start.

I'd push the power button but nothing. After many attempts, I decided to start pushing the home screen button too to try and reboot it.

After a while, it gave me the recovery mode screen with the pic of the usb cable pointing to the itunes logo.

I tried to exit recovery mode by holding the power button and home screen again, but it just keeps me stuck there. Nothing I do can get me out.

I don't want to reset the ipad and restore a back up because I will lose some valuable pages documents.

Can any one help me? I tried tiny umbrella, but it doesn't work with ios 4.

Thanks all very much!

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Weird....so you tried the home/power button reset? Are you sure you held the buttons long enough? I know on my iPhone, it normally takes upwards of 20 seconds before it actually resets....but if it still isn't showing up on iTunes and you can't get it restarted, then a call to Apple support is your only option. I know it's the last thing anyone wants to do, bc it's very annoying, but that's really your last option. Unless someone else has this problem and can help you out, that's all I got for ya....

heybluewhy

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
Stuck in recovery mode

I recently had a similar issue; Apple support suggest the following:

Hold down both buttons-do not let go-
Connect iPad to Mac/PC
Hold both buttons until an error code appears in iTunes.

If no response, like my iPad, then Mother Apple had me send it back to them!

They promised ten day turnaround, but, it was only fifty hours or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.