Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApoorvJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Hi Everyone, what do you guys think a Full Screen Finder look like in Mac OSX Lion? Think multi-touch, think iPad, think Coverflow, think iPhoto'11. Welcome your ideas and opinions, even mock-ups.:)

ApoorvJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I mean what could it present in the full screen view after we press the green + button since its the full-screen launcher for all apps in Lion.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
NO applications need to be full-screen in order to be good.

There fixed it for you.

I know it'll be optional, but full screen mode is pointless for me. It seems like Steve wants to force everyone back to the days when you only ran one program at a time (the early 80's).

For an iPhone it makes sense due to the lack of screen real estate. For larger screen sizes, using a single app taking the whole screen just doesn't appeal to me. Way too limiting for me (one of these reasons I'm in no hurry to buy an iPad).

Last edited:

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Isn't desktop full screen finder.
Launchpad seems to be an app that switches the desktop from displaying applications folder from the desktop folder. So if desktop gets the multiple page and folder handling that was demo'd as part of launchpad then what else would you want for?

To me other useful stuff would be per file not folder icon sizes so that document previews can be set to a useful size on some files without wasting space on others.

Plus be able to pull random folders into the dock and have the option of it going into desktop replacement mode like launchpad.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
There fixed it for you.

I know it'll be optional, but full screen mode is pointless for me. It seems like Steve wants to force everyone back to the days when you only ran one program at a time (the early 80's).

For an iPhone it makes sense due to the lack of screen real estate. For larger screen sizes, using a single app taking the whole screen just doesn't appeal to me. Way too limiting for me (one of these reasons I'm in no hurry to buy an iPad).

There are plenty of great applications with fullscreen mode. Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto, Final Cut (takes up the entire screen), Opera, Pages, etc.

Steve isn't forcing anyone to use fullscreen mode. It will still be a choice.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
There are plenty of great applications with fullscreen mode. Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto, Final Cut (takes up the entire screen), Opera, Pages, etc.

Yes, those are great apps. But they are not great apps BECAUSE they have a full screen mode.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yes, those are great apps. But they are not great apps BECAUSE they have a full screen mode.

No app is great only because of full-screen. That's like saying a painting can be good for the sole reason that it's painted on a wall.

However, many apps would be significantly less useful without a full-screen mode. iPhoto and Aperture are examples of applications that benefit greatly from a full-screen mode. Final Cut would suffer greatly if it didn't take advantage of all of your screen real estate, and especially with HD video, that's even true on a 27" iMac.

jW

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

And in no way is full screen mode detrimental to the application experience. In fact it's really useful in many applications and those applications would be less useful without full screen mode.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
And in no way is full screen mode detrimental to the application experience. In fact it's really useful in many applications and those applications would be less useful without full screen mode.

In your opinion. Just because you don't mind full screen mode or find it useful, doesn't mean everyone does.

And I know it won't be forced on everyone in Lion (although I doubt if Apple will give us a preference setting to select between the old behavior of the green maximize button and then new one), but Apple seems to like taking features away slowly to gauge response before making the decision for everyone. And as I said earlier, the iPad isn't useful to me since it only has fullscreen mode and limits my productivity that having multiple apps onscreen at once would give me.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I think the only app that I use full screen is MacVim in a seperate 'Space' on the Mac. Otherwise, on my main 'Space', nothing is full screen.. Ever.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany

That always depends on the user. For example for me as a writer Pages is a great app because it has a brilliant full screen mode which allows me to work without being distracted.
Oh and I also love the fullscreen mode of iPhoto.

But as others already pointed out, nobody forces you to use fullscreen…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.