Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benneh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
hello all!

I'm looking for any application that allows you to compile your To-do list, and have it on your desktop..

Google has suggested iCal, but I hardly use that...
And also I don't like the one where its housed on the toolbar (you have to click to view the list)
I like my list apparent so I know what to do (or else I'll pretend I didn't see it and not do..)

Something like Rainlender http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php for XP...

thnx!

benneh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
cool, i'm playing with it now, but how do you delete tasks off DeBoDe itself?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I believe they'll disappear after a preset number of days after completion that you can set on the backside of the widget. One problem with having outside of the normal dashboard environment might be it's communication with iCal. I've never had it on the desktop (in devmode).

I usually end up deleting stuff in iCal as soon when I complete it anyways. You might also check out iCalevents for appointments and all-day events/holidays. I use the two widgets for reminders, but do most of the actual to-do/appointment stuff inside iCal. Then add on sticky widgets and alarms for real important stuff.

ekologik

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Canada
Here's a Dashboard widget that I use...DoBeDo. It works in conjunction with iCal. Maybe you could use that in conjunction with this?

this was useful until the point that i realized that the widget would be on top of everything in my main screen, not just on the desktop. any way around that so it appears only on the desktop?

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I've been using Stickies for years for this stuff. Works great and it's free. Collapse the window and it's out of the way. Use six of 'em if you want. Different colors if needed. Can't hurt to try it out.

itistoday

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
I recommend todo.sh combined with GeekTool. Both a free, but require a bit of terminal experience. It'll let you put an actual todo list on your desktop:

todolist.png

itistoday

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
thanks, but i think i read that this is a separate to-do list, not the one used in iCal, right? i'm a fan of syncing everything... lol

Yup, I guess it just depends on which one you use more often, and for me the terminal is always accessible while iCal sits closed in the Dock.

DallasTim

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
I posted this on another thread, but I think it's a good answer to this question as well.

Instead of using a text file for a to-do list, why not use the built-in Tasks feature of iCal? You can display calendar events and tasks from GeekTool once you install the free utility called icalBuddy. Install that, then just put something like this in GeekTool:

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy eventsToday

or

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy uncompletedTasks

icalBuddy is HIGHLY configurable, so you can tweak it to get just the data you want, in just the format you want.

Tim

techmangonewild

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2004
I googled this question and found this post. Just wanted to thank you for the tip on 'Anxiety' it fantastic and exactly what I needed! Soo simple and doesn't take up room on my dock, sits neatly in the taskbar, works quickly and even syncs to ical! Brilliant!

Looks great, but it doesn't sync with my iPhone 4... or does it and I just don't see how to do it?

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Hi.
It looks like ToDo Lists by AntLogic can help you. This application allows you to create any number of todo lists, make them float atop of other windows, roll them up, translucent windows, etc.

Within the next version (1.2, which now is on the review by Apple) it will also sync with iCal, and via that with almost any iPhone application which supports iCal sync (we tested with 2Do, and some other apps available on the market).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.