Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I have been using my Air for a couple weeks now, when you guys got your new 2010 Air did you do a fresh install with the USB drive?

I am reading you can save space and maybe speeds it up, is that right? What are your thoughts? And what is the process? Thanks.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I have been using my Air for a couple weeks now, when you guys got your new 2010 Air did you do a fresh install with the USB drive?

I am reading you can save space and maybe speeds it up, is that right? What are your thoughts? And what is the process? Thanks.

as soon as i got my MBA i grab the usb stick the did a fresh install with customization. removing all the language and remove also some of the stuff on iLife that i dont need like iDVD.

no, the speed will remains the same. it is just you will save a lot of space

kyle.c

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How did you do it? Just plug it in and reboot? On the first boot up?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
how much space is available after the first boot up? without removing anything?

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
how much space is available after the first boot up? without removing anything?

My MBA is on the way but I can field that.

Formatted space is always less than advertised. This is true with any type of hard drive, whether it be SSD or spinny, even iPods.

From what I can tell, the SL install is ~5GB. So it's easy to do the math here: 128GB - 5GB = ~123GB (give or take a gig or two).

You are effectively getting the advertised amount of space.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
My MBA is on the way but I can field that.

Formatted space is always less than advertised. This is true with any type of hard drive, whether it be SSD or spinny, even iPods.

From what I can tell, the SL install is ~5GB. So it's easy to do the math here: 128GB - 5GB = ~123GB (give or take a gig or two).

You are effectively getting the advertised amount of space.

so on the 64 GB i could expect about 55 GB+ ?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
as soon as i got my MBA i grab the usb stick the did a fresh install with customization. removing all the language and remove also some of the stuff on iLife that i dont need like iDVD.

no, the speed will remains the same. it is just you will save a lot of space

having always done installs of osx using cd/dvd...how long did it take using usb?

deedas

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
Just got rid of 1.35GBs worth of languages and PPC architectures using monolingual. Now how did I use to get rid of printer drivers? Ugh, it's been a long time.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You have to start Disc Utility in the beginning after the reboot, otherwise you won't have the opportunity to do a custom install.

Now how did I use to get rid of printer drivers? Ugh, it's been a long time.
They aren't there from the beginning. When you plug in a printer Software Update downloads the driver for that printer.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Yes, for three reason:
1) always do it to get rid of things like GarageBand which I never use
2) I have normally two partitions on my Mac's and wanted the same
3) wanted to try the USB stick

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Yes, for three reason:
1) always do it to get rid of things like GarageBand which I never use
2) I have normally two partitions on my Mac's and wanted the same
3) wanted to try the USB stick

same here regarding item 1. takes up like 1.5gb of space. using flash compared to regular hard drive, took me 25 minutes to completely load the OS, was amazing

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
so on the 64 GB i could expect about 55 GB+ ?

You should expect to have ~60GB of readily available space (give or take a gig or two).

MBA owners (or any notebook with SSD for that matter) should stick the included Snow Leopard USB stick in their MBA and do a fresh install as soon as they ensure that the MBA boots up in the first place. I always remove the extra languages, shaves off a good chunk of crap.

Pete A

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2010

Boot up normally first, to make sure the SSD works. Then follow the instructions provided by MacRumors, linked at the top of the MacBook Air forum page. Substitute "USB install stick" for "install disk".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Any computer I buy, the first thing I do is reformat the drive and install the OS as I want it, not as apple thinks I want it. I usually only select the specific printers, and omit, X11, fonts languages that I don't want.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I did a fresh install today from the USB drive. Took about 22 mins. I think I saved around 3GB getting rid of all the extra language stuff....guess it was worth it.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I got the 13 inch MBA with 256GB of flash storage so that I wouldn't have to worry about saving storage space. I genuinely admire those of you who can make less storage work by using some of the techniques described in this thread but I lacked the will.:)

My old Santa Rosa MBP, which the MBA has replaced for most purposes, has a 160GB hard drive, so the MBA's 256GB of storage has been a pleasure. I used Apple's OS X installation as it was out of the box and then migrated the MBP's programs, settings, and data from a Time Machine backup on my Time Capsule. With the exception of a couple of minor glitches, the MBA's setup is now identical to the MBP's. The Migration Assistant is pretty neat.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
:) I have the 256GB drive on my 13 too but thought why not delete the "useless" stuff ;)

potentpotable

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
22 mins is damn fast for a re-install!

I just deleted all the apps I didn't want through the Applications folder, then used CleanMyMac and Monolingual to fully delete everything. Such a breeze, Macs! :D

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I am new to Mac and I have only been using my late 2010 MBA for a couple of days, so a fresh install will not be too much of a hassle to me.

But, I am curious about Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. What if I backup my data, apps and/or settings now with Time Machine or CCC, and then do a fresh install to remove languages and apps I don't need. When I then restore the data, would it put the unwanted languages and stuff back into the system?

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I am new to Mac and I have only been using my late 2010 MBA for a couple of days, so a fresh install will not be too much of a hassle to me.

But, I am curious about Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. What if I backup my data, apps and/or settings now with Time Machine or CCC, and then do a fresh install to remove languages and apps I don't need. When I then restore the data, would it put the unwanted languages and stuff back into the system?

I asked this a while ago and now I really want to do a fresh install.

I backed up via Time Machine and also backed up the boot camp partition as an image file using WinClone, all on an external hard drive.

When I restore from Time Machine, would it restore the unwanted language files back to the system? Do I have to choose which directories/files to be restored?

this is my first mac and my first time using Time Machine, thanks

psirix

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
Detroit, MI
I used mine for a week or so and then did a reinstall. I did my reinstall on the copy I made of the Apple USB key because I'd prefer to use that then abuse the one provided by apple :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.