Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Desktop Version of Google Docs Now iPad-Compatible



Just a few weeks ago, Google announced the launch of Google Docs editing on the iPad and Android platforms via a lightweight mobile interface. Google had previewed the feature a few months earlier, and users had been anticipating the release as another reason to turn to the free web-based productivity platform.




But while the mobile version of Google Docs offered a fair number of tools for editing documents, it didn't offer the full complement of options available through the desktop version of Google Docs. That changed yesterday with Google's announcement that the desktop version of Google Docs is now compatible with the iPad, allowing for additional editing capabilities when needed.
Quote:
The new mobile editor is fast and lightweight, but sometimes you want to make more style edits like changing a font, or center aligning a paragraph. If you're on an iPad, you can do that by visiting the Desktop version of the document editor.
As noted in the announcement, Google views the mobile version of Google Docs as being the primary vehicle for documenting editing given its optimization for working on lower-powered mobile hardware, but the new iPad compatibility for the desktop version gives users the option for "one-off times" requiring more advanced edits.

Unfortunately, TUAW points out that the desktop Google Docs doesn't function perfectly on the iPad, with some features still being unsupported and some quirky behaviors that may frustrate users.

Article Link: Desktop Version of Google Docs Now iPad-Compatible
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Seo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cupertino, California
Nice, can't wait to try it.
Seo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
quigleybc
macrumors 68030
 
quigleybc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to quigleybc
this sounds great, i'm sure it's not perfect. But it's a step in the right direction.
__________________
Black Book
Black iPhone
powermacg5 * iPod touch,nano,shuffle,3g * etc...
quigleybc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigleybc View Post
this sounds great, i'm sure it's not perfect. But it's a step in the right direction.
My thoughts exactly! It's great to see Google finally getting this up and running. I cant stand crummy 'Pages' - Google Docs provides so much more flexibility
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
benpatient
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
It seems like all this and Pages Mobile do is point out how bad the ipad is for work. It's annoyingly difficult just to organize some text.
__________________
Home Office: Mac Pro 8x2.8 • 10GB • 2TB • GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB
Work:15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.0 • 8GB • 512GB
benpatient is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a
 
Btrthnezr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
This is great news. Our school uses Google Docs for a few different purposes and the all the principals are getting iPads...they can edit, add and create on the go!
__________________
iPhone 5, iMac, MBA
Btrthnezr3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:33 PM   #7
jhiner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I don't understand. Why can't the regular version of Google Docs "just work"? I thought the iPad/iPhone really pushed the fact that you are using the "Real web" not some mobil-fied version of it. Can anyone explain it to me?
__________________
Macbook Air 13" 2013 iPhone 5S Gold 32gb (coming soon) iPad Mini with Retina Silver 64gb
jhiner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8
arkmannj
macrumors 65816
 
arkmannj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: UT
Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient View Post
It seems like all this and Pages Mobile do is point out how bad the ipad is for work. It's annoyingly difficult just to organize some text.
perhaps they will add support for a Bluetooth mouse/track-pad to work within apps for the future. Apple did eventually add keyboard support so who knows, it could happen.
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9
ucdortbes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiner View Post
I don't understand. Why can't the regular version of Google Docs "just work"? I thought the iPad/iPhone really pushed the fact that you are using the "Real web" not some mobil-fied version of it. Can anyone explain it to me?
Because iPad is a touch-controlled device while such web applications like Google Docs are designed to be operated via a mouse. If you tried that barely-working version (which in fact was compatible with iPad for a while, don't know why they announced it today) you will see that it is hard to select text etc. because you are supposed to be using a navigate and click device (eg. a mouse).
ucdortbes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a
 
Btrthnezr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Yeah I used the previous version and it was ok for some entry but I could see the limitations when doing more complex entries/changes.
__________________
iPhone 5, iMac, MBA
Btrthnezr3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:54 PM   #11
citi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient View Post
It seems like all this and Pages Mobile do is point out how bad the ipad is for work. It's annoyingly difficult just to organize some text.
I use Pages every day and I don't have issues. What are you trying to do?
__________________
Citi
Macbook Pro (15) 2.7 Quad 16gb ram / Macbook Air 1.6 / Mac mini 1.8 4gb / 32gb Ipad Mini Wi-Fi / VeriPhone 6 64gb
citi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:08 PM   #12
RawBert
macrumors 68000
 
RawBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Just played with it for a few. It's hard to format a spreadsheet but it can be done.
Definitely a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Just gotta learn how to work on the iPad with this and you can do all the basics. It's got a lot of features. Very nice, Google.
__________________
THE ART OF RAW
Steve Lives On

Last edited by RawBert; Dec 10, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
RawBert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:14 PM   #13
kenypowa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: somewhere
Why anyone would rate this news negative is beyond me. iOS would get more features if Apple and Google cooperate fully.
__________________
Nexus 4 / 1 / Moto G
iPad / iPad Mini
MacBook / Chromebook
kenypowa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Simmias
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
The problem with Pages for iPad is that there's no easy way to sync and edit my documents across multiple machines, including my work PC. Google Docs allows me to open a document from any device and edit it without worrying about version control. It was an improvement to add iDisk and WebDAV support to Pages, but I still have to manually upload and download files instead of just having them automatically sync with the server. Worse, there's no way to edit Pages documents from my PC without exporting to a .doc file and then merging my changes back into the original later. Google is really pushing a seamless experience across all devices, and it's becoming more and more tempting. All Apple has to do is offer a way to sync with Dropbox or iWork.com, and some basic editing capabilities on iWork.com (so I can edit from my PC) and I will be happy. Hurry up with your cloud services, Apple!
Simmias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:20 PM   #15
pmz
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NJ
No thanks, Google has given me sufficient reason never to use their services again.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:20 PM   #16
polaris20
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient View Post
It seems like all this and Pages Mobile do is point out how bad the ipad is for work. It's annoyingly difficult just to organize some text.
It works fine for me, and am actually using it for work right now. Perhaps you're doing something wrong?
__________________
2.4Ghz i7 15" rMBP | 1.7Ghz Haswell 13" MBA
iPad Air 32GB, 64GB iPhone 6 | HP XW4600 Ubuntu 14.04
VMWare ESXi 5.5, Thinkpad w/ Win8.1 Pro
polaris20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:20 PM   #17
pmz
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenypowa View Post
Why anyone would rate this news negative is beyond me. iOS would get more features if Apple and Google cooperate fully.
Anything coming out of Google has a negative side: Security/Privacy
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:24 PM   #18
jhiner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdortbes View Post
Because iPad is a touch-controlled device while such web applications like Google Docs are designed to be operated via a mouse. If you tried that barely-working version (which in fact was compatible with iPad for a while, don't know why they announced it today) you will see that it is hard to select text etc. because you are supposed to be using a navigate and click device (eg. a mouse).
I hear your point, but that still doesn't explain why Safari Mobile can't support the features of Google Docs. Just because the iPad uses your finger instead of a mouse and keyboard, that doesn't mean it should be able to load a Google Docs Spreadsheet and edit a cell without having an entirely different version. One wouldn't think so, at least.

If the features worked, but were hard to use, I would understand your point more. However, most of the features just didn't work before.
__________________
Macbook Air 13" 2013 iPhone 5S Gold 32gb (coming soon) iPad Mini with Retina Silver 64gb
jhiner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Simmias
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiner View Post
I hear your point, but that still doesn't explain why Safari Mobile can't support the features of Google Docs. Just because the iPad uses your finger instead of a mouse and keyboard, that doesn't mean it should be able to load a Google Docs Spreadsheet and edit a cell without having an entirely different version. One wouldn't think so, at least.

If the features worked, but were hard to use, I would understand your point more. However, most of the features just didn't work before.
The answer is that mobile Safari lacks a tag called "ConentEditable" that is needed for editing rich text in desktop browsers. Other mobile browsers also lack the ContentEditable feature. Apparently, Google has been re-writing GoogleDocs so that it does not rely on ContentEditable, possibly using HTML5 standards as an alternative. See here for more detail:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8aa70336&hl=en
Simmias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:58 PM   #20
citi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
The problem with Pages for iPad is that there's no easy way to sync and edit my documents across multiple machines, including my work PC. Google Docs allows me to open a document from any device and edit it without worrying about version control. It was an improvement to add iDisk and WebDAV support to Pages, but I still have to manually upload and download files instead of just having them automatically sync with the server. Worse, there's no way to edit Pages documents from my PC without exporting to a .doc file and then merging my changes back into the original later. Google is really pushing a seamless experience across all devices, and it's becoming more and more tempting. All Apple has to do is offer a way to sync with Dropbox or iWork.com, and some basic editing capabilities on iWork.com (so I can edit from my PC) and I will be happy. Hurry up with your cloud services, Apple!
I actually agree with this. All I need is dropbox syncing.
__________________
Citi
Macbook Pro (15) 2.7 Quad 16gb ram / Macbook Air 1.6 / Mac mini 1.8 4gb / 32gb Ipad Mini Wi-Fi / VeriPhone 6 64gb
citi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:15 PM   #21
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
The problem with Pages for iPad is that there's no easy way to sync and edit my documents across multiple machines, including my work PC. Google Docs allows me to open a document from any device and edit it without worrying about version control. It was an improvement to add iDisk and WebDAV support to Pages, but I still have to manually upload and download files instead of just having them automatically sync with the server. Worse, there's no way to edit Pages documents from my PC without exporting to a .doc file and then merging my changes back into the original later. Google is really pushing a seamless experience across all devices, and it's becoming more and more tempting. All Apple has to do is offer a way to sync with Dropbox or iWork.com, and some basic editing capabilities on iWork.com (so I can edit from my PC) and I will be happy. Hurry up with your cloud services, Apple!
it is called ReaddleDocs... That App will sync all your MobileMe files. So just navigate to your files from it, then use the open in Pages feature, make your edits, and have Pages save the file to the MobileMe iDisk.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:18 PM   #22
daffy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Syncing

Is there any better solution out there yet for syncing between the iPad and Mac? Dropbox is very well done, but it's still clunkier than it should be... I shouldn't have to think about synchronization at all... my files should just be there, on whatever device i'm using at the time...
daffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:22 PM   #23
jhiner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
The answer is that mobile Safari lacks a tag called "ConentEditable" that is needed for editing rich text in desktop browsers. Other mobile browsers also lack the ContentEditable feature. Apparently, Google has been re-writing GoogleDocs so that it does not rely on ContentEditable, possibly using HTML5 standards as an alternative. See here for more detail:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8aa70336&hl=en
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder why Apple refuses to support ContentEditable??
__________________
Macbook Air 13" 2013 iPhone 5S Gold 32gb (coming soon) iPad Mini with Retina Silver 64gb
jhiner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:52 PM   #24
Stvwndr219
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Man, and I thought I was so cool when I got docsToGo for my Blackberry... This does give more credibility to the iPad being a netbook killer...
Stvwndr219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:55 PM   #25
davidsol
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
ipad client for Google docs editing

To work around the issues with mobile Safari and multitouch gestures, another solution is to create an ipad client that lets you edit google docs, and synchronizes remotely with the google server, and gives you all the file management permissions, file sharing settings, and so on that you find in the desktop version of Google docs. By skipping the browser, and creating a dedicated client for ipad, you can leapfrog over the doldrums of getting multitouch into the desktop version on Safari etc etc.

So, here's the question: all the recommended apps for "editing" google docs on the ipad get pretty mixed reviews (bad reviews). Any thoughts on what is, in fact, the best Google Doc client? I would buy one if it had 4+ starts from 100+ reviewers... but alas, the App Store has no such product with this level of approval. Thoughts?
davidsol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Launches New iOS Apps for Google Docs and Sheets MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 52 May 7, 2014 02:25 PM
how to get Google Docs app for iPad 5.1.1? malch iPad Apps 0 Dec 6, 2013 11:03 PM
Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 689 Apr 26, 2013 08:33 AM
Sale for Blog Docs - Google Docs™ HTML Editor for WordPress Blogger Tumblr & Email Stevesmith001 iPad Apps 0 Mar 6, 2013 02:31 AM
iDocs - App enables you view and edit google docs on iPad icsoft iPad Apps 0 Oct 18, 2012 03:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC