Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zugvogel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I recently bought a Macbook air after having had my old macbook for ~4 years. One new feature of macs I've noticed is that there is a delay on the caps-lock, in order for it to not be accidentally pressed.

Unfortunately, for as long as I've been using computers, my method of typing has been to use caps-lock instead of shift, and this is causing havoc for me. I've seen other posts about this, some of them a few years old now, but no-one seems to know how to turn this feature off.

Have there been any new developments recently in learning how to turn this annoying feature off? I've purchased an external non-apple keyboard which helps for 2/3 of the time, but for the other 1/3 I'm using the laptop whilst travelling and have no choice but to use the laptop's keyboard...

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I recently bought a Macbook air after having had my old macbook for ~4 years. One new feature of macs I've noticed is that there is a delay on the caps-lock, in order for it to not be accidentally pressed.

Unfortunately, for as long as I've been using computers, my method of typing has been to use caps-lock instead of shift, and this is causing havoc for me. I've seen other posts about this, some of them a few years old now, but no-one seems to know how to turn this feature off.

Have there been any new developments recently in learning how to turn this annoying feature off? I've purchased an external non-apple keyboard which helps for 2/3 of the time, but for the other 1/3 I'm using the laptop whilst travelling and have no choice but to use the laptop's keyboard...

Learn to type properly?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME!!!11one!!

No, seriously, just change your habits. It's quicker to simply hold down shift when wanting to capitalize letters anyhow. What is your pinky going to do otherwise ?

zugvogel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
There is a big thread about it here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1169783, the last post was in 2008, unfortunately.

I am inclined to believe this is a hardware feature and can't be turned off in the software. Your best bet is to remap the caps lock key to something else (like the Control key), which won't impose a delay.

CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME!!!11one!!

No, seriously, just change your habits. It's quicker to simply hold down shift when wanting to capitalize letters anyhow. What is your pinky going to do otherwise ?

Yeah, you're just going to have to change your habit. I did!!

Thanks for your comments. Having typed like this for my whole life (and getting 50-55wpm), it's difficult to change (holding down two keys at once in mid-flow seems quite un-natural). If you've managed to change though, it seems it's not impossible. Hopefully it won't take me too long to change then (or rather, I suspect I might eventually get into the habit of pushing the caps-lock slightly longer instead...).

Learn to type properly?

Thanks...

I'va elweys typad "E" for "A". Whan era thay gonne fix thet?

haha

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I don't see this delay. I just hit the caps lock on my MBA 13 about 10 times and there is no delay turning on or off. The light goes on or off as fast as I push it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't see this delay. I just hit the caps lock on my MBA 13 about 10 times and there is no delay turning on or off. The light goes on or off as fast as I push it.

Congratulations, you just admitted at being a slow typist! :D

The delay is real, just push faster. However, I always used shift, so it never bothered me, except for that one time I thought it was broken.

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Congratulations, you just admitted at being a slow typist! :D

The delay is real, just push faster. However, I always used shift, so it never bothered me, except for that one time I thought it was broken.

Uh no. I'm not a slow typist and I just sat here pushing the button repeatedly and the light is going on an off as fast as I'm pushing it. What kind of a delay are you guys talking about? I use the shift key mostly myself as well so even if there was a delay, it wouldn't affect me.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Uh no. I'm not a slow typist and I just sat here pushing the button repeatedly and the light is going on an off as fast as I'm pushing it.

That's the point, you're a slow typist. You're not pushing it fast enough. At the speed I normally push the keys, the light doesn't come on. I need to push it a bit slower.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I run complete the opposite way: I even switched the CapsLock key off and remove any function from it. Thanks to Mac OS there is an easy setting for that.

I was too often pressing this CapsLock and as I (as proposed form other too) suggest the usage of the Shift-Key instead I don't miss the CapsLock at all.

zugvogel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Must be possible...

I was re-reading the thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1169783&start=30&tstart=0) and it says that Apple released a "firmware update" to allow the caps-lock key to lose its delay when, for example, caps-lock and control are switched - so does this mean that it can, somehow, be fixed by a software update (ie, it's not built into the hardware)?

I just sat here pushing the button repeatedly and the light is going on an off as fast as I'm pushing it. What kind of a delay are you guys talking about?

Maybe you're lucky enough to have a keyboard which is "defective" and works without the caps-lock delay?...

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I was re-reading the thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1169783&start=30&tstart=0) and it says that Apple released a "firmware update" to allow the caps-lock key to lose its delay when, for example, caps-lock and control are switched - so does this mean that it can, somehow, be fixed by a software update (ie, it's not built into the hardware)?

Maybe you're lucky enough to have a keyboard which is "defective" and works without the caps-lock delay?...

I remap Control to Caps lock (I don't use caps lock), and yes it behaves like a regular key after doing so. The caps lock light no longer shines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.