Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Hi,

One of my fans died on my G4 dual 1ghz. I took it out, got a new fan but I forgot which way it is supposed to blow the air. I put it in so it sucks air into the tower towards the processor, but I'm a bit unsure maybe it is supposed to blow the air out?

I forgot to check before I pulled it out. Here is a picture, if someone could please confirm the airflow direction that would be great.

Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I have never owned a PPC Mac, but most every tower blows air OUT of the tower, to suck the heat off the heatsink and out, instead of keeping the heat trapped in the tower.

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Yea, thats what I figured aswell, but it has a much larger fan to blow air out. Anyone know for sure? I'm about 80% sure that fan I have circled was sucking air in, but I could be wrong.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...ok one of you guys with one..open the puppy up and which way should it blow?

just pulled a 2001 QS off the shelf, pulled out the fan in question from the rubber mount thingy, and verified the direction and flow from the arrow marks on the (stock) fan housing.

first pic is correct. the fan in question blows air on the heatsink, so blowing air into the case. the big fan behind the hard drive pulls air out of the case, and the fan in the power supply pulls air out of the case.

best of luck.

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
just pulled a 2001 QS off the shelf, pulled out the fan in question from the rubber mount thingy, and verified the direction and flow from the arrow marks on the (stock) fan housing.

first pic is correct. the fan in question blows air on the heatsink, so blowing air into the case. the big fan behind the hard drive pulls air out of the case, and the fan in the power supply pulls air out of the case.

best of luck.

Thank you!

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Hey guys one more question on this thing. Since I upgraded to a Radeon 9800 pro my temp is around 50 degrees, it used to sit at about 40 - 45.

I noticed that the large fan, below the power supply isn't doing anything. Is this normal?

Does it only kick on at higher temps or what? The other 2 fans are working fine ( one by the heatsink and one in the power supply ), but I'm just not sure about the big one, is it supposed to run all the time?

Thanks

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
ttt

Can anyone verify if the big fan I'm talking about it supposed to run all the time? Thanks

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks guys I guess it's dead then, it has never ran as long as I owned it. I hope it's only the fan and not something else.

Dave H

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
California
If you only need a fan, I can recommend one of these.
I replaced my main fan with one more than 2 years ago and it has worked well. It moves more air than the stock fan and isn't any louder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.