Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Vegas, baby
I have a problem...
Lets say i have 3 users in Mac OS and i need to block wifi on 2 of them.
So if my mac is used at home/near free wifi only the main user would be able to connect and for other two wifi would be disabled. (still i should be able to use iphone tethering from them)

I know its kind of weird request..but ive got my reasons...

Thank You,

Best Regards

UPD
Thanks everyone, but let me give you more details on my issue.

1)Im the only one using this MAC.
2)Im ebay seller with multiple acc's.
3)In order to use few acc's on 1 computer - i need to access it from different IPs and have cookies separated.
4)My primary acc is using homes wifi network with static ip, other acc's will use Iphone tethering with dynamic IP.

So basically what im trying to do is to eliminate the chance of logging into my account using same (wifi) network. Of course i can disable wifi everytime i change mac-account to secondary, but there is always 0.01% to forget that once and mess everything up.

The problem is when i just delete airport from network settings panel it apply's this change to every macbook account, instead of changing it in the one i'm logged in. Otherwise my problem would be solved.

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Password-protect your network and don't tell the other two users the password...?

Yep, and then make sure it's set not to store the password, and then in System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced, check the box that says "Disconnect when logging out".

Now if you log out for them to log in, it will drop the connection, and they will have to enter the password to get on.

jW

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
you can also restrict wireless by mac address.
If you have a lot of devices it can take some time.
I had someone accessing my wifi usually from 5pm to midnight.
Leaving the network open I captured the mac address, added it to the access list then blocked access.

Nov 28, 2010
located
you can also restrict wireless by mac address.
If you have a lot of devices it can take some time.
I had someone accessing my wifi usually from 5pm to midnight.
Leaving the network open I captured the mac address, added it to the access list then blocked access.

The OP has one device, wirelessly connecting to a router, thus only one MAC address. The OP seems to have three accounts on that device, and only one account should be able to connect to the W-LAN, the other two should not.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The OP has one device, wirelessly connecting to a router, thus only one MAC address. The OP seems to have three accounts on that device, and only one account should be able to connect to the W-LAN, the other two should not.

ah yes,
Perhaps the apple airport extreme.
since it has two networks, home and guest you can make home for wired and guest for wireless.
With the wireless (guest)set it up set it up for 1 dynamic IP with an extremely short lease period.
This way if Mac1 signs on the other 2 would be blocked, if Mac 2 signs on Mac 1 and 3 would be blocked. if mace 3 signs on then mac 1 and 2 would be blocked.
For the home network just make sure you turn off wireless.

spit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Vegas, baby

3)In order to use few acc's on 1 computer - i need to access it from different IPs and have cookies separated.
4)My primary acc is using homes wifi network with static ip, other acc's will use Iphone tethering with dynamic IP.

So basically what im trying to do is to eliminate the chance of logging into my account using same (wifi) network. Of course i can disable wifi everytime i change mac-account to secondary, but there is always 0.01% to forget that once and mess everything up.

My router is Linksys WRT160N.

The problem is when i just delete airport from network settings panel it apply's this change to every macbook account, instead of changing it in the one i'm logged in. Otherwise my problem would be solved.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas

My router is Linksys WRT160N.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope you'll forgive me if I am, but it sounds like you are trying to log into ebay as a different user and bid people up. Like I say, I hope that's not the issue, but I don't know why else you'd want to log in as different accounts from different ip's except to get around ebay's attempts to thwart that.

spit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Vegas, baby
I hope I'm wrong, and I hope you'll forgive me if I am, but it sounds like you are trying to log into ebay as a different user and bid people up. Like I say, I hope that's not the issue, but I don't know why else you'd want to log in as different accounts from different ip's except to get around ebay's attempts to thwart that.

Fortunately You are wrong...I do this to have more seller accounts to have bigger chance of selling something. And because there are limits to sell lets say 10 items per month for new sellers..by having 10 acct's i can sell 100 items and be within limit.
You can read about that on aspkin.com ebay forum)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Fortunately You are wrong...I do this to have more seller accounts to have bigger chance of selling something. And because there are limits to sell lets say 10 items per month for new sellers..by having 10 acct's i can sell 100 items and be within limit.
You can read about that on aspkin.com ebay forum)

So you're still trying to break the ebay rules. meh

spit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Vegas, baby
So you're still trying to break the ebay rules. meh

You should read ebay rules again, its not blocking use of multiple accounts. I just choose to do it from different IPs.
And please lets not start talking about what and why im doing, its not like i asked how to brake Pentagons firewall)) nothing illegal, just small tricks to be save and running...other words id rather fly under radar..

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
You should read ebay rules again, its not blocking use of multiple accounts. I just choose to do it from different IPs.
And please lets not start talking about what and why im doing, its not like i asked how to brake Pentagons firewall)) nothing illegal, just small tricks to be save and running...other words id rather fly under radar..

fair enough. Kind of like something the guy said in Real Genius, they made the rules, enter as often as you like, no purchase necessary...or something to that effect.

spit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Vegas, baby
:D yeah, something like that)))

It's just sometimes weird dealing with those guys like ebay or amazon...
They make it seem like their on your side and trying to let you have some business...but eventually (thats said, especially when You are honest seller as I am) they will start throwing You in all those limits/verifications or w/e just because You were logged in within same IP (sometimes evem in public place like starbucks), laptop as someone and hold You (and them) from getting income and selling...anyways thats offtopic, just FYI

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You do realize if you just follow the steps I outlined, you can achieve exactly what you're looking for. I spelled it all out a number of posts ago.

jW

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I don't know... I have had two ebay accounts since the 90's.

I use one to buy and one to sell, mainly and have never had a problem with eBay. The only problem I had was, once, I was bidding on something and I bid against myself! I forgot to log out of my one account!

I don't think IP address means anything unless you are bidding on your own items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.