Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone3048

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
I have the HD display so I was wondering if it's worth paying almost DOUBLE the price for HD movies? Is there somewhere where I can compare regular movie to HD?

Any of you guys buy HD movies from itunes or elsewhere?

Thanks

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Apple makes some content available free in HD as well as the HD podcasts out there. So there's plenty to use to evaluate for yourself. For me, yes, the HD is worth it. I found that the quality is very high for the HD content and pretty good for SD. When I have the option I go with HD.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Yes, as the poster above said you can use the movie previews to see if you feel the movie is worth buying in HD.

Personally...sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, and for a very low monthly fee they're all available in Netflix anyway! :)

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
I have the HD display so I was wondering if it's worth paying almost DOUBLE the price for HD movies? Is there somewhere where I can compare regular movie to HD?

Any of you guys buy HD movies from itunes or elsewhere?

you whiner :)
hell their worth it, where i'm from we pay $40 for a regular dvd movie, so i got myself an american credit card. "Cha Ching!"

but seriously i don't know where you can get a better deal, only thing is they are protected by DRM so you cant play them outside itunes/ipod.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Depends on the movie
do you really need to watch Weekend At Bernie's in HD? Probably not but if you want to watch something like Avatar then you might make the choice

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
The DVD Player application does an exceptional job of upscaling non-HD content to HD resolution. It makes ordinary DVD's look really great, much much better than what a cheap $29 stand-alone DVD player would produce.

HD content is nice, but I need to wear my glasses to even see the difference, and I certainly wouldn't pay double the price for what is essentially the exact same movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.