Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I dont know how an 7 inch iPad would be useless? What does that make the iPhone and the IPod touch? Since they all are basicaly the same, just smaller?

The iPhone and iPod touch fit in your pocket, a 7 inch tablet would not, but it would be too small o offer much improvement over the iPod touch.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I would be extremely irritated if i waited all these months for a new ipad and they release a 7 inch screen. i like the 9.7 inch screen size. 7 inch screen sucks. might as well carry an ipod then.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Different strokes for different folks. Just like some people need or want a full size car, some need a mid and then you have others who want a compact car.

A 7-8" tablet would be nice.
Just because SJ says it's not doesn't make it gospel.

I can see the need for a device that size. The Tab has sold pretty well, other companies have announced a 7" & 10" version, RIM has a 7" version coming out.

If they sell well I bet Apple will follow suit the next go around and nothing will be said about it.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

There's no question that Apple can reverse its positions on features as it has done in the past. However, when they have reversed themselves it was usually after a significant interval and usually after technology has caught up to their goals. If their position on the October 2010 earnings call was that a 7" wasn't in Apple's future, then they sure as hell aren't introducing a 7" in March/April 2011. It may very well be that they figure out a good smaller-size solution in 2012, but I wouldn't expect it before then.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Different strokes for different folks. Just like some people need or want a full size car, some need a mid and then you have others who want a compact car.

A 7-8" tablet would be nice.

I can see the need for a device that size. The Tab has sold pretty well, other companies have announced a 7" & 10" version, RIM has a 7" version coming out.

If they sell well I bet Apple will follow suit the next go around and nothing will be said about it.

I'm not so sure, they have pushed the 10'' tablet pretty hard and even throw some attacks on the 7'' models. Now, of course Jobs and Apple have changed course in the past, and they might do it here, but I'm not expecting a 7'' iPad soon.

The only reason I could see Apple going to the 7'' model is because they could get a "retina display" more easily the the 10'' screen(I imagine)

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
There's no question that Apple can reverse its positions on features as it has done in the past. However, when they have reversed themselves it was usually after a significant interval and usually after technology has caught up to their goals. If their position on the October 2010 earnings call was that a 7" wasn't in Apple's future, then they sure as hell aren't introducing a 7" in March/April 2011. It may very well be that they figure out a good smaller-size solution in 2012, but I wouldn't expect it before then.

Yeah I wasn't counting 2011 as the next go around. 2011 is pretty much set in stone. I guess I should have cleared that up by saying I was talking about Gen3

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I'm not so sure, they have pushed the 10'' tablet pretty hard and even throw some attacks on the 7'' models. Now, of course Jobs and Apple have changed course in the past, and they might do it here, but I'm not expecting a 7'' iPad soon.

The only reason I could see Apple going to the 7'' model is because they could get a "retina display" more easily the the 10'' screen(I imagine)

When money's to be had who cares about what was said in the past. It may be Gen 3 or Gen 4 but if smaller devices are selling well enough I expect Apple will follow suit if smaller devices don't then Apple will hold it's position.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
When money's to be had who cares about what was said in the past. It may be Gen 3 or Gen 4 but if smaller devices are selling well enough I expect Apple will follow suit if smaller devices don't then Apple will hold it's position.

It's not a matter of stubbornness, it's entirely based in what Apple knows when Apple says it. If a 7" becomes viable in some way then Apple will release one.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

The poster you quoted said they don't expect a 7 inch iPad *soon*. So they aren't disagreeing with you, as gen 3 or 4 is not "soon."

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I honestly can't see the use of a front and back camera on such a big thing

Ever heard of Ansel Adams? Most people can't imagine why one would want to hike into the mountains with an 8x10 large format camera...but he did.

Most wouldn't take a Nikon D3 with a 70-200/2.8 to a kids birthday party, but do.

Personally, as a photographer, a huge camera would be awesome. I would LOVE for iPad 2 to come out with a 8 or higher mp camera. WOW!!!

Can you imagine how cool it would be to take photos on the iPad, then sticking it on the counter an showing off the photos???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.