Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmyjam14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
hi guys,

so ive got the latest macbook pro 15 inch model, and the keyboard lighting has been working fine until today. It's 2 am, im in a completely dark room, and my keyboard just wont light up, i cant control the lighting manually with the native mac keyboard shortcuts (F5 and F6) either as i just receive the same pop up with a circle with a dash across it, giving me no control. i checked my system preferences and everything's set to allow automatic keyboard illumination.

now ive also downloaded and installed the popular lab tick app which allows me to manually control the lighting. interestingly enough, that app works for me, and i can control the lighting through only that app, but the keyboard shortcuts are still dead, and the mac itself is still incapable of automatically initiating illumination.

ALSO, my iSight cam isnt working either as skype isnt allowing me to video chat and photo booth is showing me a "no camera is connected" message, all with no green light next to the camera. And i know the macbook light sensor is located to the left of the iSight. i wonder if the 2 issues are related...

wat's happening to my mac? wat can i do to fix it?
ive done nothing special prior to this unfortunate discovery =(

thanks for hearing me out

Last edited:

Merzie

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
I'm having a similar issue on my mid-09, but my issue started after I swapped enclosures while keeping the original working keyboard assembly.Must of torn one of the hair-thin led wires.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I'm having a similar issue in my 15" Macbook Pro 2011 2.3ghz w/ ATI 6750M.

Camera works fine. But pressing the illuminated keys on the keyboard pops up an onscreen display icon that shows the illuminated keyboard is off.

I have an optibay caddy installed, not sure if that matters....??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.