Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
So today I downloaded and installed Viber.app to see whether it's true I can save some money on my phone bills. But I couldn't see whether or not the newspapers were right

1. I Installed it;
2. I did not allow push notifications;
3. A dialog (modal one) with a single button 'ok' appeared telling me I had to accept push notifications.
4. I pressed ok.
5. The dialog appeared again.
6. And again and again and again...

7. I removed the app and reinstalled it.
8. First thing it showed: the single-ok-button dialog telling me to accept push notifications.
9. Then I removed it.
10. Restarted the iphone.
11. Reinstalled it.
12. Again the dialog.

Basically I cannot use Viber.app till the next release.

So a few questions...
- What's the point of the review process in the app store if they do not perform such basic checks?
- When you remove an app it says that the system will remove all of its data too. How is it possible that my iPhone keeps track of my choices about push notifications from apps that are no longer installed on the system. I even rebooted the system...

Something is not clear...

Regards

barrettj

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Once you told it not to do push notifications, that information was saved by your phone. To enable push notifications, go to Settings -> Notifications -> App Name and make sure everything is on.

When you remove an app it says that the system will remove all of its data too. How is it possible that my iPhone keeps track of my choices about push notifications from apps that are no longer installed on the system. I even rebooted the system..

All of the APP's data is removed, things regarding what the phone allows the app do to is not considered part of the App's data, but part of the Phone's data on what it does and does not allow. Location services are another type of setting that is retained despite deleting and re-installing an app.

What's the point of the review process in the app store if they do not perform such basic checks?
They did perform these checks, they ran the app with notifications allowed and it worked. They ran the app with notifications not allowed, and it told them they needed to allow them. The issue is the reviewers know how to turn notifications on and off after the initial question is asked, and that's not necessarily something everyone knows. In my apps I say how to go about enabling them if they're disabled and need to be enabled, but not every developer has that foresight.

Last edited:

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Once you told it not to do push notifications, that information was saved by your phone. To enable push notifications, go to Settings -> Notifications -> App Name and make sure everything is on.
[...]

I obviously checked everything (turned on). Nothing changed.

-- thistle

barrettj

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I obviously checked everything (turned on). Nothing changed.

-- thistle

Try exiting the app, bringing up the multitasking bar, and closing the app. It might only be able to do the push notification check at startup (resuming from being the in background works differently than startup).

(Just throwing out suggestions, I've never used that app before so no clue if it just doesn't work or what the issue is)

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi lordthistle and barrettj,

We are happy to see you commenting about Viber.
lordthistle - about your problem:

in order for Viber to work properly, you have to allow push notifications. until you do this, Viber will keep bringing up the message requesting you to do it, before you can go on using the application.

you do this through Settings for iPhone. for more guidance, please see our related post at http://support.viber.com/entries/344089-how-do-i-enable-push-notifications.
if you want to completely re-install Viber, check out this link: http://support.viber.com/entries/344089-how-do-i-enable-push-notifications

and a general note - and for any other question/suggestion you might have regarding Viber (for example, if these 2 guides still don't fix your problem), feel free to visit our Support Forums at http://support.viber.com

Have a great day,
Viber Team.

Last edited:

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Hi, this probably isn't the best place to discuss Viber issues but since there is a reply from the dev's I had a question.

I been using the app, and its great, however there have been a couple times when I would get a call and answer but there would be no sound. The display shows the call has started, but there is absolutely no sound. Hung up and called each other a few times but the problem stuck.

Uninstall and reinstalled fixes it. Is this a known bug?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
hi koruki,

About the sound problem - there could be 2 possible causes for the problem:

1. One of the parties (or both) have a very low internet connection (3G or WiFi).
In our next release we will give a proper indication about the internet quality on your Viber screen, so you would be able to know if that's the problem :)
2. There is a possible bug in the answering mechanism that we're searching right now. In the next version 1.05 we will take care of that issue.

Viber Team.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have 2 good news :)

First - A NEW VERSION OF VIBER IS AVAILABLE!
the main, important things that were fixed are:
- call screen disappears during call
- crash during startup
- voice engine audio interrupt issues (e.g. incoming GSM call)

get your new Viber version with all the latest fixes, and see the full list of fixes at: http://itunes.apple.com/app/viber-free-phone-calls/id382617920?mt=8

Second - there is now a special Viber Newsletter for Android users.
If you have an Android, and can't wait until Viber could work with your phone, please register to our Newsletter, and get all the latest updates to your email: http://eepurl.com/bW1Ln

Feel free to reply to me with any question you have,
Viber Team.

Diapason

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Still Viber has 2 major problems:

- many times a user can not hear the other party. Viber support has not given any possible workaround, before a proper version is released. This bug alone makes the app useless

- new viber users are not included automatically among the contacts

Personally, I was able to have only one successful conversation in 20 tries or so. Of course, both parties having 3G and/or WiFi connections.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Still Viber has 2 major problems:

- many times a user can not hear the other party. Viber support has not given any possible workaround, before a proper version is released. This bug alone makes the app useless

- new viber users are not included automatically among the contacts

Personally, I was able to have only one successful conversation in 20 tries or so. Of course, both parties having 3G and/or WiFi connections.

Hi,
First - have you upgraded to version 1.05 of Viber?
Second - what exact hardware of iPhone do you have?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1, Viber 1.0.5

This configuration shall be supported, as clearly stated on:

http://support.viber.com/entries/344081-what-are-the-viber-system-requirements

The bug you described was known to us, and we fixed it in version 1.05 of Viber. we even stated that in the Fix List in the release notes in AppStore.

I can't really help you further, but I can direct you to our Support Forums, and there you'll be able to get the advanced technical help you need. please visit us at http://support.viber.com

Viber.

Diapason

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Listen Viber

There Are tons of users disappointed after the 1.0.5 release: that version has WORSEN the problem of the other party not responding. Just read the Reviews on iTunes

I personally loved Viber at First. But now i am realizing that this is becoming a suspicious app to keep on the iPhone. The fact that it is free and very buggy, and draining battery life, well it makes me feel
Even more suspicious ...

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Listen Viber

There Are tons of users disappointed after the 1.0.5 release: that version has WORSEN the problem of the other party not responding. Just read the Reviews on iTunes

I personally loved Viber at First. But now i am realizing that this is becoming a suspicious app to keep on the iPhone. The fact that it is free and very buggy, and draining battery life, well it makes me feel
Even more suspicious ...

Hi Diapason,
About "suspicions" - you are welcome to read our Privacy Policy. it's an internationally legal document, written in simple English. you can find all the answers to your concerns there :)
about battery life - this is not true. Viber is very light, and it doesn't even have to run in order to receive calls. you can run a test and see for yourself.

about the 1.0.5 problem - we heard that from some users, and we plan to release a newer version within the next week. you are very welcome to visit our Support Forums at http://support.viber.com and get all the info you need.

Thanks,
the Viber Team.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hey everyone,
This is the Viber Team.

As we promised, I am now excited to announce that we have a new solution for the SMS-code problem!
If you still did not get the SMS (text message) with the activation code of Viber, please check out the following link that explains how to fix it:
http://support.viber.com/entries/360078-what-should-i-do-if-i-don-t-receive-my-sms-access-code

Please let us know if this really helped you activate and use Viber.

we wish you Happy New Year!
the Viber Team.

daytonaviolet

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
viber,

kindly explain why your app sends a silent sms to +447786205094. these incur international sms charges.
:mad:

Hey everyone,
This is the Viber Team.

As we promised, I am now excited to announce that we have a new solution for the SMS-code problem!
If you still did not get the SMS (text message) with the activation code of Viber, please check out the following link that explains how to fix it:
http://support.viber.com/entries/360078-what-should-i-do-if-i-don-t-receive-my-sms-access-code

Please let us know if this really helped you activate and use Viber.

we wish you Happy New Year!
the Viber Team.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
viber,

kindly explain why your app sends a silent sms to +447786205094. these incur international sms charges.
:mad:

Hi,
We have never encountered something like this.

This seems to be our OLD sms-with-code mechanism, but it is DEFINITELY not supposed to be sending text messages to it anymore, let alone silent!

Please be kind enough to tell me when these SMS messages were sent (from what date until what date, in which frequency, etc).

also - if you could tell me what version of Viber you are using and your country, it would be a great help for us to try and identify this problem.

Thank you, and make sure we will look into this problem very seriously once you give us this info,

the Viber Team.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi,

I'm excited to announce that Viber 1.1 has just been released.
This new version focuses on the addition of small new features, and mainly - bug fixes.
For release notes and the full fix list, I invite you to visit Viber's AppStore page and download Viber 1.1

In addition, I would like to draw your attention to our major updates in our Privacy Policy. We changed confusing clauses and made them much clearer, in accordance to users' feedback.
We would like to thank you for that feedback in the past 2 months, that allowed us to improve and better our service noticeably.

If you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask.

Thank you,
Viber Media.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks for the nice update.

I really can't wait until you get text chat in there to compete with Whatsapp!

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi everyone,
We would like to deliver a message from our company to all our users:

Recently there have been some complaints about Viber calls that don't get through, or over-consumption of battery. We have realized that many users choose to completely shut Viber off when they don't call (relying on Push Notifications for receiving calls).

But this solution actually causes the reverse effect - it disrupts incoming calls, and it wastes battery life, trying to activate the Push Notification mechanism each time a call is received.

For those of you with iPhone 3Gs and up (with "Multitasking") - we advise all our users to keep their Viber running in the background, thus saving battery life and hopefully fixing the "Missed Call" bug.

Thanks, and as usual if you have more questions please let me know,
Viber.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am excited to inform you that within the next few days our new version - Viber 2.0 - will be available for download in AppStore.

So what's new in Viber 2.0?

- OUR NEW TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE!
- TONS of bug fixes, including connectivity problems, issues with users who aren't identified as Viber users, and many many more.
- An improved calling mechanism that allows you to know if the other side's Viber is actually ringing
- A "Don't show this message again" option when trying to make a regular GSM call through Viber
- A new, easy option to deactivate your Viber account from inside the application itself
- Relocation of "Favorites" tab

I would like to remind you that our next goal is VIBER-FOR-ANDROID!
We estimate that this will be ready within the next month or so, but you'll have to stay tuned for updates as these estimates might change.

Thank you, and as always - feel free to ask any question.
Viber Media.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Sounds great, text messaging yay!

May I ask is this purely text only at this stage? How far off are photos/video.
Group chat?

Many thanks

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Sounds great, text messaging yay!

May I ask is this purely text only at this stage? How far off are photos/video.
Group chat?

Many thanks

At this stage - yes, only Text Messaging.
We are planning to develop further options, like photos and group chat, but this will only happen in the future, and we don't have exact dates unfortunately.

Viber.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.