Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
I have been experiencing much lower battery time remaining estimates on my 13" MBA Ultimate.

Looking at iStat Nano shows that I have "Adobe Resource Synchronizer" eating up 82% (of what?) in processes.

A search on this site turns up nothing and a search on Google shows little, except that people are really peeved that Adobe loads stuff in the background. I made the move to the Mac primarily to get away from that kind of thing.

Any ideas? I want to kill this background process.

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
I don't know if this will be permanent or not, but I uninstalled (moved to trash) Adobe Reader, since Preview works so well and I have Acrobat Pro.

I've tried emptying the Trash, but it said that AdobeResourceSynchronizer was RUNNING and couldn't be deleted.

That's WEIRD! I couldn't even FIND it in the system when trying to do a search using Spotlight.

I moved it to teh desktop and tried to open it, but even looking at the line of code in Terminal shed no clue.

I ended up doing a restart and VOILA! The system told me that there was a problem with AdobeResourceSynchronizer, I clicked-through and now it's no monger a running process, my temps are coming down as is the fan.

Not only that, but my BATTERY TIME is back up.

I love Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat Pro, but I HATE Adobe.

Thanks, Adobe, for writing software with BLOATWARE code that screws up my new machine!

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
Just want to reiterate...

that if you're having issues with an MBA that seems slow and the battery times seem much lower than they should be, be sure to check you system resources with iStat to see if AdobeResourceSynchronizer is running.

Getting rid of that has giving me my Air back and it's running like a champ!

:)

daftlush

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
that if you're having issues with an MBA that seems slow and the battery times seem much lower than they should be, be sure to check you system resources with iStat to see if AdobeResourceSynchronizer is running.

Getting rid of that has giving me my Air back and it's running like a champ!

Did you find a way to get rid of it and keep Acrobat?

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
Did you find a way to get rid of it and keep Acrobat?

To tell you the truth, I can't remember exactly how I found it and got rid of it. It's so much different (and in some ways harder) to delete rogue files on a Mac than a PC. I'm not running Acrobat Reader, but Acrobat Pro on the MBA.

Tony

Tucuso

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Another solution

I was experiencing similar issue plus the fan was running crazy due to high temperature built. I got rid of it using the AppDelete application and empty the trash using the secure empty trash option... my MBP is working normal... :)

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
I was experiencing similar issue plus the fan was running crazy due to high temperature built. I got rid of it using the AppDelete application and empty the trash using the secure empty trash option... my MBP is working normal... :)

EXCELLENT!

Thanks for documenting what my 54 year-old brain couldn't remember!

cfrest

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Found it!

I've been having the same problem, and I only have Acrobat X Pro (no Reader). I was about to just uninstall it (I think I like 9 better anyway) using Clean My Mac, and got the message "Adobe Resource Synchronizer still running; want to quit, skip, cancel?" After digging around a bit, I found the Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app here : \Applications\Adobe Acrobat X Pro\Adobe Acrobat Pro.app\Contents\Support\Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app
(I imagine the location is similar for Reader, etc.) I just uninstalled that instead of the whole Acrobat app, and watched with delight as my cpu dropped back down in iStat Menus! I briefly ran Acrobat X, and so far I don't see any problems. :D

Last edited:

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
After digging around a bit, I found the Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app here : \Applications\Adobe Acrobat X Pro\Adobe Acrobat Pro.app\Contents\Support\Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app
(I imagine the location is similar for Reader, etc.) I just uninstalled that instead of the whole Acrobat app, and watched with delight as my cpu dropped back down in iStat Menus! I briefly ran Acrobat X, and so far I don't see any problems. :D

Thanks for listing the path to the app; I'm sure that'll be a huge help to others in the future.

This one, single background app made me think there was something wrong with my (at the time) brand-new Air. Well, there WAS! Thanks, Adobe, for another piece of stupid, background BLOATWARE. Adobe is the new Microsoft!

kellygeorge

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
KCMO
same here

I have the same issue. Everyone once in a while my MBA fan will kick on and the battery indicator drops significantly. Go to Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor and you will see Adobe Resource Synchronizer eating up 70-80% of the CPU. I force quit it and the fan stops and the battery jumps back.
I've yet to uninstall anything, but I think I will uninstall Adobe Reader. I don't really need it anyway.

Strewth101

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Same problem

For the last few weeks my fan has been whirring like crazy. I pinned it down to the adobe resource synchroniser... using around 85% of my CPU. The overheating got so bad the rubber base of my macbook melted and became unstuck... which cost £56 to have fixed at my local genius bar. I deleted everything "Adobe", restarted and deleted again and the macbook cooled down within two minutes. No more problem.

What the ****** is the adobe resource synchroniser anyway?

tourvanda

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
delete it from Login Items

You can also get rid of Adobe Resource Synchronizer by going to your account in System Prefs and deleting it from the Login Items.

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I would like to know what processes I can disable in order to fine tune my mba by utilizing the least amount of resources and still be fully functional?

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Strangely enough, not long after I saw this thread, my MBA went up to 80ºC. I went into Activity Monitor and guess what, for the first time I saw this "Adobe Resource Synchronizer" hogging 70+% of the CPU!

I just QUIT it from the Activity Monitor and it went back to normal. But who knows if it will kick in later? Anyone knows what this background process does? is it a bug?

gherrick

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
Delete AdobeResourceSynchronizer

You can also get rid of Adobe Resource Synchronizer by going to your account in System Prefs and deleting it from the Login Items.

I found that app listed in the login files of my account, checked to be hidden. I thot I had it knocked when I did what I think is called a "right click" on my track pad [2 fingers & mouse-down] - did that on the name in the list, and an option appeared, "reveal in Finder." Sorry, don't recall where it was. Then I deleted it with AppDelete and emptied trash - not secure - just empty. Then I went back to my login files list and there it was again! This time revealed in Finder as Acrobat X Pro, which leads me to someone's contribution [sorry, don't know how to get back into the thread to quote you] reporting the path to it: "Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app here : \Applications\Adobe Acrobat X Pro\Adobe Acrobat Pro.app\Contents\Support\Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app". That now seems to be the case for me, but I don't know how to get onto/into the path within an application, so I can't track it down any further.
I've been having similar problems with vpnagent or vpnagentd, and had hoped I'd find them in the login list [can't find them to delete them, can't force-quit them w admin pword in Activity Monitor, nor in Terminal "sudo rm vpnagent"; Terminal denies its existence, altho Activity Monitor and Console name and make it clear it's the troublemaker.
So, except for learning a cool move - thanks - going to my login files list, I remain w CPU hogs, a hot MacBook and an incessantly whirring fan.

hoovskinstein

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
I found that app listed in the login files of my account, checked to be hidden. I thot I had it knocked when I did what I think is called a "right click" on my track pad [2 fingers & mouse-down] - did that on the name in the list, and an option appeared, "reveal in Finder." Sorry, don't recall where it was. Then I deleted it with AppDelete and emptied trash - not secure - just empty. Then I went back to my login files list and there it was again! This time revealed in Finder as Acrobat X Pro, which leads me to someone's contribution [sorry, don't know how to get back into the thread to quote you] reporting the path to it: "Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app here : \Applications\Adobe Acrobat X Pro\Adobe Acrobat Pro.app\Contents\Support\Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app". That now seems to be the case for me, but I don't know how to get onto/into the path within an application, so I can't track it down any further.
I've been having similar problems with vpnagent or vpnagentd, and had hoped I'd find them in the login list [can't find them to delete them, can't force-quit them w admin pword in Activity Monitor, nor in Terminal "sudo rm vpnagent"; Terminal denies its existence, altho Activity Monitor and Console name and make it clear it's the troublemaker.
So, except for learning a cool move - thanks - going to my login files list, I remain w CPU hogs, a hot MacBook and an incessantly whirring fan.

To get within the Acrobat X Pro application you need to right click on it and select "Show Package Contents". Then you proceed to locate the "...Synchronizer.app" as per the file path you indicated. Once you locate it you delete it and then empty the trash can. Once you restart your Mac, re-rerun Acrobat X Pro, then re-check the file path location where the "...Synchronizer.app" was stored, you should find that it has been permanently removed. Additionally you can follow Adobe's response to this thread and modify the embedded XML code to hack the self-repar command which is responsible for re-setting this app as a "hidden" start up item.

mmt2011

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Adobe resource synchroniser

Many thanks for this advise. I have now deleted the offending app. Where do I find the Adobe response that you mention as I would really like to get rid of this pest for good?

To get within the Acrobat X Pro application you need to right click on it and select "Show Package Contents". Then you proceed to locate the "...Synchronizer.app" as per the file path you indicated. Once you locate it you delete it and then empty the trash can. Once you restart your Mac, re-rerun Acrobat X Pro, then re-check the file path location where the "...Synchronizer.app" was stored, you should find that it has been permanently removed. Additionally you can follow Adobe's response to this thread and modify the embedded XML code to hack the self-repar command which is responsible for re-setting this app as a "hidden" start up item.

bjoernenDK

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
Last edited:

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know if deleting this app will have any adverse consequences on other Adobe products like CS4 and Lightroom?

ionutpozitiv

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
adobeResourceSynchronizer keeps bugging me...

Hey guys,

I got a regular message showing up every 30sec. Do you know how can I get rid of it?

the message is
"AdobeResourceSynchronizer wants to use your confidential infromation stored in "servicec.acrobat.com" in your keychain."
I have adobe acrobat 9 pro and these days I had installed the trial from Lightroom 4, but I don't know how to fix the problem and it's a real pain.. in the eyes to see that message poping all the time all day.

Thanks for advice!

Charles W

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Having this problem also...

Adobe Resource Synchronizer was using 80% of my CPU and causing it to be slow and unresponsive. I tried to delete everything I could find with Adobe on it but I could not get rid of this program. I finally forced it to quit on the activity monitor. As far as I'm concerned this is a virus. It's still on my computer somewhere. No one seems to know how to get rid of it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Adobe Resource Synchronizer was using 80% of my CPU and causing it to be slow and unresponsive. I tried to delete everything I could find with Adobe on it but I could not get rid of this program. I finally forced it to quit on the activity monitor. As far as I'm concerned this is a virus. It's still on my computer somewhere. No one seems to know how to get rid of it.
It's not a virus. If you want to completely remove any app, use the following instructions.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.