Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cgbspur21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Hey everyone! Just got my brand new 32 GB Wi-Fi only iPad. I love it! However, I have one question. I have iPod Touch and use Opera at school as it allows for me to access Facebook through the schools filter. I was wondering if there is a browser specially designed for the iPad that would allow me to do the same thing? I assume it allows me to do this because the browser sends the websites back to its own servers in order to speed up the process of the websites loading (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I am looking for an iPad designed browser that would work in the same way. Paid or free, it doesn't matter. Thanks in advance!

Cgbspur21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
I just checked the app store and you can download Opera, and it is free. You must be 17 to do it.

Yes, I know you can do this but I wanted a browser that is optimized for the iPad, not one that has to be scaled up to fit the screen

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I just checked the app store and you can download Opera, and it is free. You must be 17 to do it.

I think he is looking for a Opera like browser that wouldn't have to run in 2x mode; hence, made specifically for the iPad.
I don't know which ones will work through the filters but some of the browsers I personally like include:
Terra (free)
Safari (Built in)
Knowlitilus (Mind the spelling but it's free I believe)

Cgbspur21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
I think he is looking for a Opera like browser that wouldn't have to run in 2x mode; hence, made specifically for the iPad.
I don't know which ones will work through the filters but some of the browsers I personally like include:
Terra (free)
Safari (Built in)
Knowlitilus (Mind the spelling but it's free I believe)

Exactly what I meant! Thanks!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Both Opera Mini and Skyfire work by sending a request from your device to those company's servers, which then go get the real webpage and convert it into a smaller / special version to send back to your device.

So it seems like Skyfire should work. Try it.

PS. Regular Opera DOES NOT use a server helper. Only the MINI version does. Just in case you run across a choice on other devices.

Cgbspur21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Both Opera Mini and Skyfire work by sending a request from your device to those company's servers, which then go get the real webpage and convert it into a smaller / special version to send back to your device.

So it seems like Skyfire should work. Try it.

PS. Regular Opera DOES NOT use a server helper. Only the MINI version does. Just in case you run across a choice on other devices.

Ok. But doesn't Skyfire do this only with flash video? Or with ALL websites?
And yes. I meant the Mini version, such as the one for the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.