Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Netflix has 400+ movies and shows that are subtitled. The PS3 and Wii supports subtitles with Netflix.

I would think Apple TV would be the easiest of those to add subtitles. Yet it does not support subtitles with Netflix.

I know no one know when subtitles support will be added, but really! Subtitles has been supported on the PC/Mac since April, and on the PS3 and Wii since October.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
However all of those devices have existed for years and as stated just got them 6 months ago. Besides 400 only represents about 2% of all Netflix videos....

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I am not saying apple shouldn't add support for Netflix subtitles, but to be shocked that a device that is only 3 months old is a little ridiculous especially since the percentage of videos is relatively small and only became available on more traditional devices in the last few months.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Since both OS X and iOS lead the way in terms of accessibility options, and since Netflix has made captioning available on the Wii and PS3, I'd say it's at least surprising that Netflix captioning isn't supported on the AppleTV. And certainly very disappointing to the deaf and hearing-impaired communities.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
Well like someone else pointed out its less then 2% of their collection. Not trying to be a dick but if you want caption buy the physical movie. I dated a girl that was partially deaf (had a cochlear implant) and she would get pissed when people would put the subtitles on. But then again she could read lips. I wonder why no one is complianin about the lack of subtitle support for the iphone app

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
For many of us, subtitle support is indeed a big deal, for reasons from hearing trouble to wanting to watch foreign language films/shows and actually, y'know, understand the narrative.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I watched "Stigmata" last night on Netflix and there were spots where they had subtitles at the bottom, almost entirely cut off. I could tell from the tops of the letters what the words were but it was annoying and if there were two lines I was s.o.l. I looked at three other foreign movies and their subtitles were perfectly visible. Maybe there is a sizing issue with letterboxing that's cutting off the subtitles in certain movies.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Well if the op isn't deaf he is bitching for no reason.
Does it really matter why the OP actually wants subtitles? Just because you don't think it's important doesn't mean it isn't. This is a feature that NetFlix offers. It is a feature that other hardware platforms offer. It is not unreasonable to expect Apple to offer a comparable feature set.

What is unreasonable is to keep coming in here with absolutely no useful advice and ragging on the OP for expressing a legitimate concern.

Smighty24

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Yeah being in a busy household and wanting to watch a movie that doesn't have subtitles is almost useless. Not everyone has a environment that is like a movie theater. My Mom reads things better than hearing them. So having subtitles is something we look for when wanting to watch a movie. This is something I would like Netflix to change. They obviously have the ability to do it. IE the 400+ movies that already have subtitles. Why can't they do it for the rest of their movies?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
For many of us, subtitle support is indeed a big deal, for reasons from hearing trouble to wanting to watch foreign language films/shows and actually, y'know, understand the narrative.

People here are talking about switchable English subtitles/closed captioning on English-language films.

Netflix' foreign language films generally have burned-in English subtitles. No special support necessary.

Mentioned here: http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed-captions-and-subtitles.html

A.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
In his original post, the OP said:

Netflix has 400+ movies and shows that are subtitled. The PS3 and Wii supports subtitles with Netflix.

I would think Apple TV would be the easiest of those to add subtitles. Yet it does not support subtitles with Netflix.

So, NetFlix offers some titles with switchable subtitles. The PS3 and Wii can play these subtitles and the new AppleTV apparently cannot. I don't have the new ATV, so I can't comment on its capabilities. But if what he says is true, that's something Apple really should fix. I just don't see any excuse for offering a capability that is inferior to other platforms that offer the same capability.

ncmacasl

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
From what I understand, Apple needs to wait for Netflix to provide the software upgrade to allow AppleTV (and iPad, iPhone, etc.) to access Netflix's proprietary Subtitling system. Apple can do nothing on their end until Netflix releases the software. Netflix says they are "working on" other platforms but refuses to give any dates or which platform(s) (AppleTV, GoogleTV, Roku, BluRay, etc.) will be released next with the subtitling software upgrade.

And thanks for the plug to my blog: http://ncmacasl.blogspot.com/2010/10/netflix-instantwatch-titles-with.html

I include Netflix's subtitled titles and some foreign and silent films as well.

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
This would be on Netflix not Apple to correct. Subtitles work just fine on my ripped movies so ATV definitely supports them.

Just so I understand, did you mean you can toggle subtitles on or off on your ripped movies? I know apple TV will show fine the subtitles that Handbrake burnt into the file, but not sure if I can toggle it on or off at will.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Just so I understand, did you mean you can toggle subtitles on or off on your ripped movies? I know apple TV will show fine the subtitles that Handbrake burnt into the file, but not sure if I can toggle it on or off at will.

The ATV 1 & 2 can both do "soft" subtitles. You just press-and-hold the select button after the movie has started. You then get a menu that let's you select different chapters, subtitles and audio tracks. If they're available that is. ;)

HTH

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
The ATV can display both closed captions and soft subtitles, so It doesn't seems to much work on the ATV part to implement them.

El Nacho

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Does anybody know if the recent update added subtitle support to Netflix on the ATV2? I know the iOS version of Netflix got subtitle support today, but I was wondering if that carried over to the ATV2.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
My dad called Netflix about this.. he depends pretty heavily on closed captioning.. he seemed to have escalated his concern pretty high up the support chain. However, Netflix promised closed captioning months ago (Jan) but nothing seems to have been done.

There is also a frustrating lack of closed captioning on iTunes movies.

I notice the topic is about subtitles, not closed captioning, but to a person who is hard of hearing - it really is the same handicap.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Almost 1,500 titles on Netflix now has English subtitles, not counting the other thousand or so foreign titles. Netflix now supports subtitles on the following platforms:

PC/Mac via the browser, Wii, PS3, Boxee, Google TV, WDTV, Nintendo 3DS, and now the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad.

Where is the AppleTV in all this? Extremely disappointing.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Almost 1,500 titles on Netflix now has English subtitles, not counting the other thousand or so foreign titles. Netflix now supports subtitles on the following platforms:

PC/Mac via the browser, Wii, PS3, Boxee, Google TV, WDTV, Nintendo 3DS, and now the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad.

Where is the AppleTV in all this? Extremely disappointing.

As others have mentioned, this is on Netflix, not Apple. The Apple TV supports soft subtitles. Netflix apparently uses a proprietary subtitling scheme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.