Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
I realize its extremely rare for Macs to hang but yestertday while visting a site that needed a special font Safari was spinning its' wheels for a good hour. Is there an application (like Xkill on unix) that kills a window without rebooting the machine? I have a G4 iBook. I also tried to "ps -ef" on my terminal application to try and kill the process but the ps I have installed does not understand "-f". I get "illegal Operation -f." :(

Thanks in advance.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
You can also click and hold the icon in the dock of the application you want to kill and then select force quit from the pop up menu. Or click on the Apple in the menu bar and select Force Quit, as well as using the short cut provided by thecow :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
dscan99 said:
I also tried to "ps -ef" on my terminal application to try and kill the process but the ps I have installed does not understand "-f". I get "illegal Operation -f."
different flavors of unix have different implementations of ps which has different options.

on osx, the set i usually use to feed into grep is: -auxww

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.