Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
This thread is about information regarding the overall Folding@home team, particularly changes in team ranking and daily point output.

(Originally titled Looks like our folding team just dropped two places...)

OP starts here:__________
...to #60...with another team set to pass us in about a week.:(
I'm working on Bigadvs now, but it wont be enough. We need more members that will run bigadvs.

Last edited:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I know it's not enough to stop the drop but I just added a second PS3 to my numbers. I've been using my MacBook to rerender a bunch of videos lately once it's done I'll be back to folding with it again. This will bring me from my typical 1200-1600points/day average up to around 2,600-2,800.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
The team who are overtaking us are really strong, most likely dropouts from the big teams. Not much we can do about it. Bigadv is still where the big PPD are, especially now with the 6 cores Xeon, very fast for one CPU packages.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah there's no doubt about it, we need more users. i think we need to get more active on here, and then more users will come.

we really need more users with those new mac pros that can run the bigadv units. i'm doing all i can, but we need a lot more

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i've tried to keep a picture log of the team's stats here on my own forum. you'll have to be logged in to view the pics.

basically, we had 132 million points back on 16 Oct 2009, and were ranked #60.

we got down to #57 with 202 million points on 20 July 2010.

and now we are back at #60 with over 256 million points today, and we will be passed within a week and will be #61

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
i've tried to keep a picture log of the team's stats here on my own forum. you'll have to be logged in to view the pics.

basically, we had 132 million points back on 16 Oct 2009, and were ranked #60.

we got down to #57 with 202 million points on 20 July 2010.

and now we are back at #60 with over 256 million points today, and we will be passed within a week and will be #61
Quite an... urm... interesting forum...why does it look like a lot of posts are just copy overs from MR? :p

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Quite an... urm... interesting forum...why does it look like a lot of posts are just copy overs from MR? :p

yeah i was bored so i was testing out some scripts to test my server. i don't use that forum except for keeping track of stuff now, like folding. but that's not the point of this thread.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
man these 2684's are killing me. i didn't make the deadline for the last one b/c of 2 power outages

How? Unless the power outages were each 6 hours long, there is no way. However, since it's full blown snow storms up north, I guess those must be common, just like down here in Honduras. Albeit for entire different reasons:D:p:eek:

I forgot to mention, if anyone has a PS3, download the Folding client to it! It works towards keeping our pace!

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I usually just use my PS3 guess I should ramp it up then? Running full throttle on MBP i7 for a while! Using laptop on my lap.... the pain it burns! Ah my legs on fire!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I wonder how many team members don't even know about the passkey/bonus system? Could we up output by educating them about that, as well as client configuration?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
How? Unless the power outages were each 6 hours long, there is no way. However, since it's full blown snow storms up north, I guess those must be common, just like down here in Honduras. Albeit for entire different reasons:D:p:eek:

I forgot to mention, if anyone has a PS3, download the Folding client to it! It works towards keeping our pace!

well the 2684s take much longer for me to complete. on top of that, i wasn't home when the power outages hit, so it took awhile to get everything back up and running. and then another power outage...

yeah i have my ps3 folding when i'm not using it.

I usually just use my PS3 guess I should ramp it up then? Running full throttle on MBP i7 for a while! Using laptop on my lap.... the pain it burns! Ah my legs on fire!

yeah might as well fold with your ps3 when you aren't using it. yeah i wouldn't use that mbp on your lap

I wonder how many team members don't even know about the passkey/bonus system? Could we up output by educating them about that, as well as client configuration?

hey not a bad idea. just start a new thread about it

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA

I keep seeing it discussed but I don't know what it is. What is the best way to fold? What gets me the most points I know I can add things to the advanced section what do I put? And what is passkey.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I keep seeing it discussed but I don't know what it is. What is the best way to fold? What gets me the most points I know I can add things to the advanced section what do I put? And what is passkey.

Passkey make you even more unique since it verifies it is actually you the one folding points. At least that's how I get it. Furthermore, with a passkey, you get more bonuses than without.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Thanks! What should I have my parameters set too?

If your computer is powerful enough to handle -bigadv units and deliver results on time then do those. Why? Biggest PPD ratio ever.
If he is running on the Macbook Pro, Bigadvs wont work.

Is this the Macbook Pro we are talking about? Also, what folding client are you using? The system preferences pane? How often do you close the lid, put it to sleep, or shut it down?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
If he is running on the Macbook Pro, Bigadvs wont work.

Is this the Macbook Pro we are talking about? Also, what folding client are you using? The system preferences pane? How often do you close the lid, put it to sleep, or shut it down?

It is a MacBook Pro i7 it stays on 24/7 and always sits on my desk I rarely transport it anywhere. So leaving the application running won't be a problem

and yes I am using the system preference pane

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
It is a MacBook Pro i7 it stays on 24/7 and always sits on my desk I rarely transport it anywhere. So leaving the application running won't be a problem
Ok... as for additional parameters, type
Code:
-smp 2 -advmethods

Make sure you set up your passkey. After completing 10 units with it, you should start getting bonus points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.