Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sincross911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
hey guys!!i just got an iphone 3gs from my relative,before giving it to me he did Reset through the phone to delete all his previous data that was present on it...it was on 4.0.1 os jailbroken and unlocked...after reset when it asked to reboot it doesnt,only an apple logo comes...

only thing i can do is go into dfu mode for a restore but i dont want to restore the phone to the latest firmware by apple thorugh itunes,is there anyway i can restore to the same 4.0.1 firmware or any other unlockable firmware.

-it has the newer bootrom
-no previous shsh blobs saved

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
If you have no blobs, you are definitely **** out of luck. Your relative just screwed you over. However, since he did have Cydia installed, I'm positive he had Cydia "Make his life easier" and so it saved his blobs through Cydia. So, just open Tinyumbrella and under the advanced options make sure it has the option to get the blobs through Cydia, then try to get the blobs. Cross your fingers and hope your relative wasn't stupid.

If you have your blobs, then I'm sure you know what to do. If not, then there's not much you can do. I'm pretty sure there's a untethered jailbreak for 3GS devices for 4.2.1. I'm not positive on that, someone else can help clarify this.

Edit: Just looked at the tutorial at iClarified and it turns out that since you have the new bootrom, your jailbreak for 4.2.1 will be tethered. :(

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
You sure on the shsh? Sounds like you have a pretty good shot of having your shsh on file in being jail broken before, check with tiny umbrella.

If you restore you want to do it with a firmware that can retain the baseband so you can unlock again.

Not SOL at all really. Even if you must go 4.2.1.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The risks of no knowing what are you doing with a JB'ed idevices.

There, fixed it for you.

Chances are you don't have SHSHs saves (donwload Tiny Umbrealla and check), without it, all you can is going to 4.2.1 and JB. It is tethered JB, you need to rerun the tool every reboot.

Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Cant u use Use a 4.2.1 custom fw and use redsnow to jailbrake it afterwards and install ultrasnow? It will be tethered since u have the new boot but oh well.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
When my iPhone 4 got stuck in a boot loop it was still recognised by TinyUmbrella/iTunes when I plugged it in. I already had my 4.1 blobs saved (and this was before 4.2.1), but I could've saved them at that time.

Try plugging your phone in whilst it's on the Apple logo, download & open TinyUmbrella and see what you can do. If nothing shows, the post above is your best option.

Happytodd

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
When my iPhone 4 got stuck in a boot loop it was still recognised by TinyUmbrella/iTunes when I plugged it in. I already had my 4.1 blobs saved (and this was before 4.2.1), but I could've saved them at that time.

Try plugging your phone in whilst it's on the Apple logo, download & open TinyUmbrella and see what you can do. If nothing shows, the post above is your best option.

This is exactly what had happened to me lastnight for the first time. Ended up changing iPhone font and it got stuck in a bootloop. Few trials and errors til I managed to get my iPhone back up and working. I almost had a heart attack I thought it broke...

I'm positive your friend saved the blobs for you via Cydia. Just use Tinyumbrella like everyone else. Click the TSS button at the top right once you have the correct and selected blob. Then open iTunes and hold Shift for windows or Command for Mac and click Restore. Then restore to a previous firmware if you have one.

Goodluck! =]

sincross911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
i didnt know how to detect my phone using tiny umbrella so i found its ECID using usbview and manually made TU download shsh blobs from cydia but sadly none were there :(....

Cant u use Use a 4.2.1 custom fw and use redsnow to jailbrake it afterwards and install ultrasnow? It will be tethered since u have the new boot but oh well.

i was wondering the same thing??cant i use redsnow to go into dfu mode and update to a custom firmware madde from pwnage tool??

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Jailbroken iPhones usually go into a boot loop if any of the Reset options are used. Except reset home screen layout

sincross911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
@andy9- i guess u didnt read my post properly,when my iphone was in dfu mode TU could not detect it so using USBview i managed to get my ECID and using that i checked if i had shsh blobs saved but there were none..

anyways.... I GOT It TO WORK :D :D :D....

as u may know from the thread my newbootrom 3gs was stuck in apple logo/dfu mode / recovery mode after a "Reset all settings" and it was on 4.0.1

these are the tools i used

-Windows 7 64bit
- iTunes 10.1
- Redsn0w 0.9.6b4
- Tiny Umbrella 4.1.13
- Official 4.1 firmware
-Official 4.0.1 firmware

-using redsnow entered "pwned dfu mode"
-started TSS server in Tiny Umbrella

doing the above steps allowed me to restore to stock 4.0.1 using itunes.the restore was sucessful but my phone was now stuck ONLY in DFU MODE ( no apple logo or Recovery),i got really scared at this point,....

i started seaching the net as to what to do....found something so i tried this

-Opened redsnow again and ticked on cydia alone.
-The phone was going through all the stages of jailbreak but redsnow was not proceeding halfway through "Updating Ramdisk".....so i just disconnected my iphone and it went back to dfu mode

-I opened redsnow again and ticked on boot tethered only and whoopie,the phone is up and running again.

im on stock 4.0.1,just have to jb and unlock :D :D

i hope this helps others :)

Edit:

ok i guess the "Updating Ramdisk" part was necessary because i cant seem to jailbreak using limerain or jailbreak me and everytime i power off the iphone i need to use redsnow to "boot tethered now".....so i tried installing cydia again ,this time the "updating ramdisk" got stuck at 30% so i cancelled it and tried to "boot tethered now" but that also got stuck halfway and iphone was not booting up....

again i tried installing cydia ,this time "updating ramdisk" completed,"updating kernal" started and it got stuck at 90%.....anyways i disconnected again and did "boot tethered" and thankfully it booted ,still no cydia installed though.......

i dunno why the "installing cydia" of redsnow stops in between sometime in the beginning and sometime at the end??....any suggesstions

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I read what you wrote. You used TU to restore an older version of iOS that apple is NOT signing right now. The only way to do that is use TU to redirect you to local drive or Cydia for shsh. Without TU and having shsh saved you can't restore and older iOS version, period. Thus you have shsh saved somewhere and just don't realize it.

sincross911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
no dude....the reason i was able to restore to 4.0.1 because i used redsnow to enter "pwned dfu mode" which allowed bypassing shs checks and i made tu point to cydia servers and not apple just as a precaution.....i am 200% sure that my cydia blobs are not saved

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
no dude....the reason i was able to restore to 4.0.1 because i used redsnow to enter "pwned dfu mode" which allowed bypassing shs checks and i made tu point to cydia servers and not apple just as a precaution.....i am 200% sure that my cydia blobs are not saved

"DUDE" don't argue what you don't know, There is NOT such a thing as bypassing the SHSHs check, if you were able to restore to a previus firmware is because you had SHSHs saved. Redsn0w DO NOT bypass the SHSHS check nor does any other tool. Tiny Umbrella set a "fake" server to simulate Apples and used Saved SHSHs to authenticate the firmware.

davidnayzar

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
SF,California
3Gs unable to restore and stuck at apple logo after reset

I have a 3Gs with 05.13.04-6.4_M3S2 and 4.0.2 firmware. I jailbroken the device with redsnow and going to give it to my relative. I reset and erase the phone and it was stuck on apple log. I am not an expert and just trying to find out simple steps to unlock it. I had my shsh save and it was showing with 4.2.1 firmware even I saved it with 4.0.2. Now I cannot restore my phone at all. Everytime I got the error message as unable to restore and 1600.
I read the posts and just got confused.
Is there anyway someone can help me explain the simple way( dummies way) please.

sincross911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
"DUDE" don't argue what you don't know, There is NOT such a thing as bypassing the SHSHs check, if you were able to restore to a previus firmware is because you had SHSHs saved. Redsn0w DO NOT bypass the SHSHS check nor does any other tool. Tiny Umbrella set a "fake" server to simulate Apples and used Saved SHSHs to authenticate the firmware.

i know what TU does,i guess you dont know what redsnow does....it uses geohot's exploit to enter the phone into pwned dfu mode to bypass shsh checks...ive tried using TU to restore to 4.0.1 in Normal DFU mode which didnt happen,it did when i restored in pwned DFU mode....get your facts right "DUDE"

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
i know what TU does,i guess you dont know what redsnow does....it uses geohot's exploit to enter the phone into pwned dfu mode to bypass shsh checks...ive tried using TU to restore to 4.0.1 in Normal DFU mode which didnt happen,it did when i restored in pwned DFU mode....get your facts right "DUDE"

Please "DuDE" ...again don't argue what you don't know ...there is NOT....such a thing as bypassing the SHSH check on a 3GS, with no SHSHs you cannot install anything but the current firmware, not even custom firmware can be install without SHSHs, There is nothing out there that allow you to bypass the SHSHs (as right now).... I know perfectly what each of the tool does, I have access to the source code and i can compile them myself. YOu need read some more you have been here for just 7 post...i've been around long enough to be sure of what i am saying.

sincross911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Please "DuDE" ...again don't argue what you don't know ...there is NOT....such a thing as bypassing the SHSH check on a 3GS, with no SHSHs you cannot install anything but the current firmware, not even custom firmware can be install without SHSHs, There is nothing out there that allow you to bypass the SHSHs (as right now).... I know perfectly what each of the tool does, I have access to the source code and i can compile them myself. YOu need read some more you have been here for just 7 post...i've been around long enough to be sure of what i am saying.

i may not know alot but im definately sure about this and the reason i have 7 posts is because i registered here after i got the problem...now you tell me if i had my shsh saved and i restored to STOCK 4.0.1 ,y wouldnt it boot after a sucessful restore..it was only when i jailbroke and boot tethered that my iphone started to run...this is exactly what happened and i have no reason to lie...

edit:
also after i left my iphone for a couple of hours on standby, it automatically went back into dfu mode....i tried tethered booting but i kept getting white screen and when i tried restoring i got error 28...so i waited for battery to die and restored to stock 4.2.1 as i didnt want to risk screwing arnd with the iphone...now im stuck with a 32gb ipod till an unlock comes for 5.15.04..

Last edited:

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
i may not know alot but im definately sure about this and the reason i have 7 posts is because i registered here after i got the problem...now you tell me if i had my shsh saved and i restored to STOCK 4.0.1 ,y wouldnt it boot after a sucessful restore..it was only when i jailbroke and boot tethered that my iphone started to run...this is exactly what happened and i have no reason to lie...

If you don't want to believe me that's fine, but if you PM your IEMI number I will show you how your SHSHs are saved, I am sure of it, otherwise you wouldn't have be able to install anything but 4.2.1. There are many other reasons why your restore may have failed, the host file was being used, Cydia server were down at the moment, so many other. Try to open your mind and understand that there is no way to "bypass" the SHSHs check. No tool right now can't do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.