Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afflicted Max

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hey all, I recently inherited two iMac G3's. I'm modding one into a 360 console, but the other I'm trying to set up for my younger sister. It's an iMac 4,1 Indigo, Slot Loader.

It's current specs are:

500 mHz processor
300-odd MB RAM
20GB hard drive

So I'm going to load it up to 1 GB of RAM and 120GB hard drive, with Tiger loaded up. The only problem, is that I cannot connect her iPhone 4 to the computer for everyday syncing/charging... (I'm using Senuti to transfer her music on to the iMac). The only way I can think of remedying this problem is a Firewire 400 cable or a USB 1.1 cable. However, I'm unsure if either variants will support syncing and charging of the relatively new device.

Thanks for your input.

Yotsuba

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
iPhone 4 requires USB 2.0 and the latest version of Leopard. Firewire, when used with iPods, iPhones, and iPads, is basically useless now. I don't even think any of the newer iDevices will accept Firewire as a charging solution these days. While the iPhone 4 requires iTunes 9.2 for syncing, and iTunes 9.2 is available for Tiger, it may not work. To my knowledge, there is no way around this. You'd probably be better off not using this iMac that you are talking about as it is too outdated for most uses these days. You could use it as an iTunes server though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.