Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I've had very good luck with refurbished apple products. They all carry a 1 year warranty (which most refurbs only care a 90 day it seems). They state they replace the shell/case and the battery as well. However, I only buy refurbed from Apple. I bought a "refurbished" ipod from a very reputable online store and it was really a "used" device. I was pissed.

peled

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2010
Israel
If you have a bad iPAD, and you go to the store to fix it.
What do you think you are getting ?
It is a refurbish iPAD - Not yours.

So . Yes.
If the price is right I'll go with a refurbish.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The only reason I could think of not go get a refurbished if you are giving it as a gift and don't want the stigma of giving it in refurb packaging and having to explain it.

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
My iMac refurb has had zero problems.

I bought an Apple Airport refurb and it didn't work so they replaced it with a new model and it worked fine.

I would always try and save some money. They'll fix/replace it if you have any problems.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Really? There's no excuse not to buy an iPad at all. :)

Heck, just being able to get it Apple-refurb'ed @ that price is enough of a reason to purchase it. Apple refurbs are THAT good of a deal.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
The problem with refurbs...

inquiring minds want to know.

The problem with refurbs is that sometimes hardware issues can be intermittent. Therefore, even if something has been *tested*, it can still have problems. Somebody returned that iPad for a reason and it's possible that the issues weren't fixed even if it passed the Q/A tests. As an example, my 3G iPhone recently died and was replaced with a refurb from Apple. It works great, except for the Wifi, which sometimes works, but sometimes stops working. From my research, it seems to be some sort of intermittent hardware issue.

So, I will have to go through the time/hassle of going through the return process again or live with the issue until I replace the phone, which I will probably do when the next one comes out.

My advice - if the iPad is for personal use and your current life circumstance provides you with extra time in case things go wrong, save the money and get the refurb. But be prepared for the possibility that you will have to swap it again.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My current MBP was refurbished from Apple. Although it's starting to show it's age, I would not hesitate to purchase another refurbed product from Apple.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I bought one, 16 gig wi-fi. Ordered Dec 16 and Received Dec 20 in Virginia; it shipped from China. Indistinguishable from new. So there is no reason not to but a refurbished one that I can think of. Other than the few people who bought one of the bait and switch units from TJ Maxx, I paid less for mine than almost anyone else.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
As long as you get it from Apple. What you get from any other seller online or locally like Walmart or Best Buy is just one that was returned for whatever reason. If someone else had a problem with it you may too.
It is my understanding that even from Apple a refurb while checked and tested may have cosmetic blemishes such as a scratch or nick and the screen may have a bad pixel. There is no guarantee that it is perfect.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The problem with refurbs is that sometimes hardware issues can be intermittent. Therefore, even if something has been *tested*, it can still have problems.
Same possibility exists when buying new. :confused:

Until I see a trend of people having issues with refurbs, I personally wouldn't have any issues buying one.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Same possibility exists when buying new. :confused:

Until I see a trend of people having issues with refurbs, I personally wouldn't have any issues buying one.

The difference - from a probability standpoint - is that the source pool of devices from which the refurbs come from previously had problems.

Like I said, it was returned for a reason. You just don't know that the reason was. The reason *may* still exist (such as an intermittent hardware issue) and may not be caught by the Q/A tests thereby allowing the device to be re-shipped as a refurbished unit.

From a probability standpoint, the refurbs are almost guaranteed to have more problems than the new devices.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
A new one might be cheaper...

inquiring minds want to know.

A refurb will have to come from the Apple online store. Shipping will be free, but you will have to pay sales tax. If you are buying a high-end configuration, the sales tax will may be greater than the $50 savings on a refurb. Depending on your location, you may find an online retailer who will not charge you sales tax and will ship for free. Check this link: http://www.macprices.net/ipad.shtml

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
A refurb from the apple online store is basically the same thing as new IMO. And you still get exactly the same care/support/warrenty as if it were new.
You just get cheap brown packaging.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
A refurb will have to come from the Apple online store. Shipping will be free, but you will have to pay sales tax. If you are buying a high-end configuration, the sales tax will may be greater than the $50 savings on a refurb. Depending on your location, you may find an online retailer who will not charge you sales tax and will ship for free. Check this link: http://www.macprices.net/ipad.shtml

The prices on that page for refurbed ipads is currently incorrect. They are "on sale" for $429, $499 and $599. So that means it isn't just $50, it's actually $70-$100.

Last edited:

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
The prices on that page for refurbed ipads is currently incorrect. They are "on sale" for $429, $499 and $599. So that means it isn't just $50, it's actually $70-$100.

Wow! That's a great deal for the WiFi-only refurbs. The 3G refurbs are still only discounted by $50, so those might end up being cheaper purchased "new" from another source.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Wow! That's a great deal for the WiFi-only refurbs. The 3G refurbs are still only discounted by $50, so those might end up being cheaper purchased "new" from another source.

Good point, the 3G ones aren't "on sale", so those will most likely be a push from somewhere like macmall (where you wouldn't pay tax and shipping), but otherwise the wifi models are a heck of a deal refurbed (I only care about wifi since I use my Droid X as a mobile Hot Spot).

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I got the 32g wifi on the 1st. Looks like they are having some customs delays because I wont get it till the 11th. Not the end of the world but still kinda sucks, I realy wanted it before the 9th.

I called apple to ask if I can just pick one up in the store but since its a referb they dont stock them in stores.

They sent me a free case, thats cool especually since its still being shipped well within the shipping time quoted online. I just assumed that since everything else I orderd got to me in less than 3 days this would also :(

Still happy, wish I hadnt already gotten a case at best buy but I guess two cases works

Stoutman11

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I got the 32gb wifi refurb. Ordered on 26dec and got on dec 31st. Pristine condition product. Brand new to me and packaged perfectly. Great deal! Saved $100.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
The problem with refurbs is that sometimes hardware issues can be intermittent. Therefore, even if something has been *tested*, it can still have problems. Somebody returned that iPad for a reason and it's possible that the issues weren't fixed even if it passed the Q/A tests. As an example, my 3G iPhone recently died and was replaced with a refurb from Apple. It works great, except for the Wifi, which sometimes works, but sometimes stops working. From my research, it seems to be some sort of intermittent hardware issue.
This is pure speculation. If we are going solely on anecdotal evidence, there are a lot more complaints on these forums about new Apple hardware not working properly than there are about refurbs - so one could argue that refurbs are in fact likely to be more reliable.
(For the record I have purchased multiple new, Apple refurb & other second user Apple hardware and been fortunate enough not to have seen any difference in reliability).

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
This is pure speculation. If we are going solely on anecdotal evidence, there are a lot more complaints on these forums about new Apple hardware not working properly than there are about refurbs - so one could argue that refurbs are in fact likely to be more reliable.
(For the record I have purchased multiple new, Apple refurb & other second user Apple hardware and been fortunate enough not to have seen any difference in reliability).

There are also sold vastly more new products than refurbished, which is in limited stock.

Besides, I would definitely save a few pennies and go for the refurbished product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.