Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130111-iphone_4_side_shot.jpg

One of the major questions about future iPhones has been at what point Apple will choose to offer "4G" LTE compatibility. With Verizon only just beginning to roll out its own 4G network, rumors have indicated that the CDMA-based iPhone 4 widely rumored for a launch early this year will not support 4G. The bigger question has been whether Apple will support 4G in the fifth-generation iPhone presumably set to debut sometime in the middle of the year, with several reports indicating that Apple will skip 4G compatibility at that point as well.

In covering a CES keynote address by AT&T's Ralph de la Vega, Boy Genius Report notes that de la Vega's comments suggest that a 4G LTE iPhone is in fact not coming until 2012.
De la Vega included Apple in his list of manufacturers set to launch LTE devices in 2012, implying that AT&T will launch a 4G LTE-compatible Apple iPhone next year
De la Vega reportedly also confirmed AT&T's plans for an accelerated timetable for deployment of its LTE network, looking to launch sometime this year with completion set for 2013. He also noted that the HSPA+ improvements that have already spread to much of the company's network already come relatively close to 4G speeds.

While many observers have been hoping that Apple will be an early adopter of LTE technology to support the ever-increasing data demands of iPhone users, past history has suggested that Apple will sit on the sidelines until the LTE service becomes more widespread and has had time to mature. Despite the fact that AT&T offered a 3G data network at the time of the iPhone's initial launch in 2007, the first-generation device did not support the technology and operated only on the carrier's slower-but-more-widely-available EDGE network.

Article Link: AT&T 4G LTE iPhone Planned for 2012 Launch?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
no point in offering the LTE iPhone before the network is wide spread enough. If they release it too early people will only bash the iPhone for bad service not realizing the the LTE network is not ready for it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Apple waits until networks are mature to a stable point. That's why they waited on 3G. Same thing is happening with LTE.

So there's your answer on Verizon - LTE iPhone in 2012. If there's a Verizon iPhone this year it will be CDMA only. They aren't supporting two different devices until AT&T gets it into gear.

Also gives a hint to what will be in the next iPhone - HSDPA+.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
2012 will be a good year.

LTE iphone on ATT and iphone on other networks like Verizon.

I finally got an iphone in November figuring 2012 would be a good time for my contract to run out. Should have done it earlier in the year but no matter. A few months wait in 2012 will be all right.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
I am eagerly awaiting the launch of a 3G network that does what it is promised in a consistent and reliable fashion! 2012 sounds about right for that. 4G LTE in 2012 that has the chipset, network coverage, and backhaul to create an acceptable experience that lives up to the hype sounds like a pipe dream.

Think I sound grumpy/unrealistic? Remember, it was in 2007 when people were looking at Jobs cockeyed for offering an EDGE only device. Today, 3+ yrs later, a vast majority of US iPhone users aren't much better off.

Network coverage is poor, 3G areas with coverage don't have good spectrum design, or are quite over-subscribed.

It's not about the hardware outside of having a chipset that is efficient and a battery with the mAh to drive it, so the pace of HW development is largely irrelevant to whether 4G will happen in 2012.

I wouldn't hold my breath, if it happens, it will be mostly in name only/will only function as promised in large markets with very low population density (e.g. forget major metros - more sprawling suburban areas bordering these markets).

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Not surprised. 3G is not that slow as it is, so there really is no rush. Summer 2012 seems like a viable release date for a 4G iPhone. Though I don't know how Apple will hold off the competition.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
I wish ATT wouldn't take Fancy Feast out of the can, put it on a plate, and tell us they're serving us fine French Foie Fras.

That's what they're doing. HSPA+ is *NOT* 4G but they're trying to market it as such (as is TMO).

VZW is the only player calling a spade a spade.

At least we get At&t other "4G" this year HSPA+. I can see it now this year iPhone going to be call iPhone 4G HSPA+

http://gizmodo.com/5725501/atts-4g-is-hspa%2B-like-t+mobiles

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd do the exact same thing if I were Jobs. not too much 4G/LTE equals less experience & cooperation with the consumer. There's no point for it. What the other manufacturers are doing is unveiling worth less devices at this time of year. Look at Evo. Only a few chosen markets would equip 4G speeds for the phone, and the people went running around, showing off a 4G phone without a 4G location (unless you're in a larger city). & yet drain the battery dramatically. Apple. what they're gonna do is experiment they're phones + data usage/speeds to determine how long they can keep they're battery running. Just like they did with multi-tasking. now that's true engineering!

Precision4

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Isnt this obvious??

They will not release an LTE version because they want more of your money. VZN users have been waiting a long time for the iphone. All will jump on for the first CDMA version, 6 months later, they will all upgrade to an LTE version. Brilliant Apple planning once again.

Don't think this is about anything other then taking your cash.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Did you really need to be an analyst to figure this out? I want to be paid to state the obvious!

Regardless, the major issue is if Apple is ever going to make a CDMA/GSM world phone this year. Multiple models means increased costs.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I wish ATT wouldn't take Fancy Feast out of the can, put it on a plate, and tell us they're serving us fine French Foie Fras.

That's what they're doing. HSPA+ is *NOT* 4G but they're trying to market it as such (as is TMO).

VZW is the only player calling a spade a spade.

Here we go again.....the ITU defines "4G" as a network capable of 100mps download. None of the carriers in the US, or rest of world, comply.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Isnt this obvious??

They will not release an LTE version because they want more of your money. VZN users have been waiting a long time for the iphone. All will jump on for the first CDMA version, 6 months later, they will all upgrade to an LTE version. Brilliant Apple planning once again.

When at&t says something about their company that doesn't mean Verizon is going to do the same thing, you know.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Isnt this obvious??

Diabolical! That's just about cynical enough that it might be true. Hrm, I guess we'll know soon enough what's in store for 2011.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Here we go again.....the ITU defines "4G" as a network capable of 100mps download. None of the carriers in the US, or rest of world, comply.

WRONG, BOTH OF YOU

THe ITU recently revised their definition of 4G to included enhanced 3G technologies that offer significant speed improvements. HSPA+ is now 4G!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.