Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
So, I was just testing Find My iPhone out on Me.com to see if it could find my iPhone 4. I have the accounts set up and I can verify that it works if my 3G data is on. But, it does not work at ALL if 3G data is turned off, even though both Wifi and cellular calling/text messaging are on. It can't find it at all: no location, no pop up message, nothing. Me.com says it can't find it.

This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
There are many ways to defeat find my iphone.

An easy way to protect from your method is to put a passcode on the phone.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
There are many ways to defeat find my iphone.

An easy way to protect from your method is to put a passcode on the phone.

The iPhone passcode is even more useless, it doesn't do anything. You can just hook up any iPhone to a computer and run iPhone Explorer and have access to everything. Apple doesn't have good security.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.

Or, you know...they could turn off 'Find my iPhone' which would probably be the more popular option among theives.

The iPhone passcode is even more useless, it doesn't do anything. You can just hook up any iPhone to a computer and run iPhone Explorer and have access to everything. Apple doesn't have good security.

Which is probably why Apple has a remote-wipe feature.

Also, I'm not sure what the iPhone's 'Data Protection' feature does, but I'm betting it's related to this somehow.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Then your phone must have a problem. It will work without Cellular signal.

No, I am connected to Wifi, 3G calling, text messaging, and I have push notifications turned on. I just tried again and still nothing if I have 3G data turned off.

Or, you know...they could turn off 'Find my iPhone' which would probably be the more popular option among theives.

Which is probably why Apple has a remote-wipe feature.

Also, I'm not sure what the iPhone's 'Data Protection' feature does, but I'm betting it's related to this somehow.

The remote wipe doesn't work if Find My iPhone can't find my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
No, I am connected to Wifi, 3G calling, text messaging, and I have push notifications turned on. I just tried again and still nothing if I have 3G data turned off.

Read again, I said then you must have a problem with your phone. Is it JB? Have you tried a restore?

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
It is stock iPhone 4.2. And why do I even have to do a restore? I haven't changed the stock software.

Do you want help or hate?
You don't have to do a restore but it could just fix your issue. I have done this to fix the same problem in the past. I have also had this issue in the past and was able to just delete my mail account from my phone and set it backup. After doing that "Find My iPhone" started working again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Take it outside for a second and try it there. Make sure the phone can both see the sky AND still remain on the wifi network.

Both of those need to be true for this to be a good test.

My theory is that your ISP or your router are somehow not registering your location. When you're indoors you can't get a GPS signal so the phone has to rely on the 3G connection to find out where it is. Since you're on wifi it checks that instead and isn't getting an answer.

IF it works while you're outside but on wifi then you need to investigate why your wifi isn't registering the area you're in. In that case it'll be an issue with your wifi, not with your phone.

Gotta do that test, however, to know for sure.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Take it outside for a second and try it there. Make sure the phone can both see the sky AND still remain on the wifi network.

Both of those need to be true for this to be a good test.

My theory is that your ISP or your router are somehow not registering your location. When you're indoors you can't get a GPS signal so the phone has to rely on the 3G connection to find out where it is. Since you're on wifi it checks that instead and isn't getting an answer.

IF it works while you're outside but on wifi then you need to investigate why your wifi isn't registering the area you're in. In that case it'll be an issue with your wifi, not with your phone.

Gotta do that test, however, to know for sure.

My GPS works fine with or without 3G data turned off. I've never had a problem using an Maps to find myself indoors or outdoors. Also, since Me.com can't even send me an alert to my iPhone while connected to wifi and with push turned on, it's not just the location problem.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My GPS works fine with or without 3G data turned off. I've never had a problem using an Maps to find myself indoors or outdoors. Also, since Me.com can't even send me an alert to my iPhone while connected to wifi and with push turned on, it's not just the location problem.

Then we're definitely back to 'try a restore.'

Or maybe try changing MobileMe passwords. Or something.

I thought it was just a location issue but if the messages aren't even getting through then something is very wrong. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting those if you're connected to the internet in any way.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

It is amazing what a passcode and restriction settings can do. You've already said that "Find My iPhone" does work. Now all you have to do is protect your phone and settings. Two simple settings.

I would, before making a definitive statement in all capitals, look for all options available before losing my temper and spouting off.

;);)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
It is amazing what a passcode and restriction settings can do. You've already said that "Find My iPhone" does work. Now all you have to do is protect your phone and settings. Two simple settings.

I would, before making a definitive statement in all capitals, look for all options available before losing my temper and spouting off.

;);)

If I could encrypt the entire iPhone with TrueCrypt I would so that I have proper security. The passcode on the iPhone doesn't do anything since it doesn't encrypt anything. You can bypass it by hooking it up to a computer.

I've just deleted and resigned in to Mobile Me and send a new message from Me.com. I'm going to give it 15 minutes.

I just wish that iOS doesn't get corrupted every week requiring a restore. You hear it so often to "restore" that it gives Apple a bad image that they can't make a stable OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
I just wish that iOS doesn't get corrupted every week requiring a restore. You hear it so often to "restore" that it gives Apple a bad image that they can't make a stable OS.

If you have to restore every week then you have got MAJOR problems. I have only had to restore prolly 4 total times since 2007.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
how to put this lightly...

anyone that is too lazy to put a passcode lock on their iPhones needs to shut the hell up about security/findmy iPhone issues

you can't leave your car door open and then later complain that your car got broken into because your car alarm didn't work

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
how to put this lightly...

anyone that is too lazy to put a passcode lock on their iPhones needs to **** about security/findmy iPhone issues

you can't leave your car door open and then later complain that your car got broken into because your car alarm didn't work

Once again, in case you didn't read the two posts already about this: I CAN BYPASS THE IPHONE PASSCODE EASILY!!!

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Once again, in case you didn't read the two posts already about this: I CAN BYPASS THE IPHONE PASSCODE EASILY!!!

With all due respect and discretion, your logical premises and conclusion dont follow one another.

The fact that you can bypass the passcode with ease shouldn't really deter you from putting a lock on anything. Two cases in point: the fact that a padlock can be easily cut and thus "bypassed" with little to no effort does not mean that you should not use it. The fact that a door lock on a car can be easily bypassed with a hanger does not exempt you from the responsibility of locking your own car. ...Same with bike locks...Even locking your locker with a zip tie is better than no lock at all...

If your mentality was followed, no one would ever place locks on doors or gates. The point is, locks keep honest people honest and if something gets otherwise stolen because you failed to lock it, then the only person you could really blame is yourself.

P.S. TrueCrypt can be cracked....so by your logic, "whats the point", right? And relatively easily by cryptography standards... http://www.shortinfosec.net/2009/02/cracking-truecrypt-container.html

Last edited:

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
I can find my iPhone with:

3G off, Wifi On (Connected)

3G on, Wifi On (Disconnected)
3G on, Wifi On (Connected)
3G on, Wifi Off

I am unable to find my iphone with:

3G off, Wifi On (Disconnected)
3G off, Wifi Off

Therefore it cannot use the GSM connection to transmit the Wifi Triangulation/GPS location to Find My iPhone, but as long as it had a Data connection like you say you should have, wether it be Wifi or 3G, it should locate it,

So it seems to be a problem either with your phone or your Wifi Network

Have you tried it with the iPhone in a different Wifi Network?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Ok, so Find My iPhone appears to be working now after I deleted MobileMe and signed in again. It does take like 20-30 minutes for the message I sent from Me.com to get to my iPhone 4. The messages I sent before deleting MobileMe and signing in again were lost.

With all due respect and discretion, your logical premises and conclusion dont follow one another.

The fact that you can bypass the passcode with ease shouldn't really deter you from putting a lock on anything. Two cases in point: the fact that a padlock can be easily cut and thus "bypassed" with little to no effort does not mean that you should not use it. The fact that a door lock on a car can be easily bypassed with a hanger does not exempt you from the responsibility of locking your own car. ...Same with bike locks...Even locking your locker with a zip tie is better than no lock at all...

If your mentality was followed, no one would ever place locks on doors or gates. The point is, locks keep honest people honest and if something gets otherwise stolen because you failed to lock it, then the only person you could really blame is yourself.

P.S. TrueCrypt can be cracked....so by your logic, "whats the point", right? And relatively easily by cryptography standards... http://www.shortinfosec.net/2009/02/cracking-truecrypt-container.html

Your strawman arguments and your complete distortion (or lack of understanding) of the article in your link makes me think it would be a waste of time to respond.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
Ok, so Find My iPhone appears to be working now after I deleted MobileMe and signed in again. It does take like 20-30 minutes for the message I sent from Me.com to get to my iPhone 4. The messages I sent before deleting MobileMe and signing in again were lost.

definitely sounds to me like something is up with your Wifi Network, not allowing incoming connections very well maybe?

mine displays messages sent from Find My iPhone, within seconds.

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Your strawman arguments and your complete distortion (or lack of understanding) of the article in your link makes me think it would be a waste of time to respond.

...which you did anyways... [?]

*cough* Geez...read a wikipedia article on logical fallacies and all of a sudden, boom... have a true mastery of logical argumentative principles...:rolleyes:

Listen, you dont need to get all hostile. If anything, I'm trying to help you. I didnt mean my comments to disparage you ("With all due respect and discretion"). We're all trying to help you. Even a few posts above, you snapped at someone that offered pretty good advice to you.

Anyways, the majority of the people here agreed that if you don't place a passcode on your phone, there is no one else to blame but yourself. You're bordering on negligence. And honestly, if you bought an iPhone expecting Rijndael or Serpent security, you've been duped. If placing a passcode on your iPhone (in your eyes) wont help because its "easily bypassed", then it definitely cant hurt. Honestly, I dont know what the hell you're hiding on your phone anyways... no one is going to really care about your Angry Birds high score...

But for good measure, if I were you, I'd take the phone over to a Genius Bar to get it checked out. It could be your network, but it could also be a problem with the GPS antenna. The phone is still under warranty, so why chance anything?

p.s. If you need more links, help yourself. http://www.google.com/search?q=cracking+truecrypt

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.