Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Might seem like a stupid question, but I have an SD card with hidden files filling it up to capacity. I want to delete these but I can't. I can see them, but when I hit delete it makes that noise that says you cant do this, and I cannot drag to the bin either.

Any ideas? Thanks.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Assuming there's nothing on it you want to keep, it's probably easiest to simply reformat it. If you're using it in a digital camera, it's usually best to reformat it in the camera.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Assuming there's nothing on it you want to keep, it's probably easiest to simply reformat it. If you're using it in a digital camera, it's usually best to reformat it in the camera.

I don't want to reformat it. I borrowed it from my girlfriend to test out the GoPro, but now I cannot delete anything from it LOL. I have to put her pictures back on it that were on it before. She used it for a photo thing I believe

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder​

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
killall Finder​

I know how to view hidden files, I can see them, they just don't delete.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
killall Finder​
killall Finder​

Hey thanks that worked great

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I know how to view hidden files, I can see them, they just don't delete.

Can you create a folder? Can you do anything that changes the SD card?

Maybe the problem is the SD card is in a format that OS X only reads but can't write, like NTFS.

Open Disk Utility.app, select the volume, and post what it says at the lower left of the window for "Format:".

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Can you create a folder? Can you do anything that changes the SD card?

Maybe the problem is the SD card is in a format that OS X only reads but can't write, like NTFS.

Open Disk Utility.app, select the volume, and post what it says at the lower left of the window for "Format:".
The third to last post was from 2011, so one hopes the op got it sorted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.