Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fit4him

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Hey guys,

Wondering if you could suggest if this is easily repairable.

The white "frame" around the screen has a few cracks in it. It looks like there are 4 small screens around the edge of the screen but I'm hesitant to remove them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are the local Mac repair shops fairly effective at repairing things like this? There is one in Charlotte, NC but I know nothing about them.

Is this possibly a DIY?

Attachments

• photo-15.JPG
    photo-15.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 57
  • photo-16.JPG
    photo-16.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 48
  • photo-14.JPG
    photo-14.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 48

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Do you already have a replacement for it? It's not going to be easy but if you haven't been inside an iBook then I'd recommend you leave it to the professionals.

It's been quite a while since I tore into one but if I remember correctly, you will have to remove the whole LCD assembly. This unfortunately requires you to disassemble the entire iBook.

You will also have to be careful as the inverter board is "glued" to the back of the bottom of the LCD bezel with adhesive.

You should have the title with screen bezel and not frame as they are completely different.

fit4him

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Thanks very much for the reply. Is this something I would need Apple to fix or a local repair professional?

Could you guess a price?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
At most the iBook is only worth $200 so if you can live with the cosmetic issue, I wouldn't spend the money. The bezel is only like $5-10 but the labor is where it's going to get you if you can't do it yourself.

fit4him

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
thanks everyone!

Ok, I found a very reputable local repair shop that will do it for $50 if I bring my own bezel.

I think I'd rather let them do it and pay the money. Seems pretty reasonable.

Thoughts?

Allen

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
If someone is willing to take apart and put back together again an entire iBook for you for only fifty dollars, then take the opportunity to get a larger newer hard drive and maybe even a superdrive in it. While someone has it open, and is doing it for peanuts, then max it out. That is like a three hour job with all those screws on an ibook and not easy work. Get that fifty dollar price in writing.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I would do it for free if you were local. I'd also do what California mentioned, have them upgrade the HDD for you too. But for $50 is a good price for the amount of labor involved. I'd also try to locate a 1gb stick of DDR PC2700 to max out the memory if it's not already done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.