Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

my4k9s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Can anyone kindly tell me in SIMPLE terms if I can hook up the 4th generation touch to a tv? I want to play my itunes music video library while on the treadmill. If I can, what kind of inputs/outputs (and that's as technical as I get) does the tv need? And do I have to have cable tv to do this? Any suggestions on what kind of tv to buy. Thank for ANY help.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Can anyone kindly tell me in SIMPLE terms if I can hook up the 4th generation touch to a tv? I want to play my itunes music video library while on the treadmill. If I can, what kind of inputs/outputs (and that's as technical as I get) does the tv need? And do I have to have cable tv to do this? Any suggestions on what kind of tv to buy. Thank for ANY help.

To answer your question, yes.

What you need is a cable to connect the iPod Touch to the TV. You can purchase composite or component cables directly from Apple. Most TVs now will at least have composite inputs where you have 3 plugs that connect to the TV (one for video and two for audio, one left and one right). The component cables have 5 different plugs (3 video for a better picture quality and 2 for the left and right audio) to connect to the TV. Component inputs are generally found on new TVs and usually only on the HD models. The first TV I ever purchased that had component inputs was a 32" flat screen Toshiba.

Also no cable TV required as you are just using the TV as a means to display the content on your device. It is no different then connecting a DVD player up to your TV which also wouldn't require Cable TV.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Apple sells both a composite and a component cable that will do what you want. The composite cable is standard-definition and will work on nearly any TV. The component cable is high-definition and will only work with an HDTV with component inputs.

Composite cable:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTM3NTAxNDc

Component cable:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTM3NDk4NTk

These cables also come with a charger, keeping your iPod charged while watching videos.

(Heh... sorry Drucifer! I should know better than to leave forum topics open in tabs without refreshing before posting...)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
All it takes is money. Lots of it. Apple tax.

Just so you'll know, the Archos 43 has an mini-HDMI output and will display its entire UI and any apps it runs (including videos) on any HDTV with HDMI input, all for a $5 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.