Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlocrasto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Please excuse me if I missed it in the forum but I was unable to find an answer so I started a thread.

I use my mac to record music and download music in aiff and/or wav format. I do not use itunes store to download any music because the music is compressed. I do download some mp3's from other sites but they are at a high bit rate, 320kbps. I do not like to put my recordings or my downloaded music in tunes because it makes a copy or it (which uses hd space) and it compresses it. I like to use my ipod like everyone else to listen to my music when away from my home.

How can I drag and drop my music to my ipod (so that it plays), without using itunes? Thanks for all the help.

jl

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Trying not to use iTunes will be a pain in the arse.

iTunes is half of the reason that the iPod is so popular.

As for HD space, ext drives are incredibly cheap, treat yourself to one - storage issues vanish overnight!! :D

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Combatcolin is absolutely right. And besides that, iTunes can perfectly handle Aiff files. You don't have to make a copy of the files, and you don't have to compress them either. Give iTunes a try. :)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Since when does iTunes compress music? Granted the store sells compressed files, but iTunes itself does nothing of the sort. I have plenty of lossless, AIFF, aac and mp3s all mixed in together.

You can set iTunes not to import music and manage it yourself, or once you load a song into iTunes, just delete the copy you have. Pretty simple.

There are plenty of reasons not to use iTunes, but it seems as though your issues aren't among them. Give it a try.

jlocrasto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Since when does iTunes compress music? Granted the store sells compressed files, but iTunes itself does nothing of the sort. I have plenty of lossless, AIFF, aac and mp3s all mixed in together.

You can set iTunes not to import music and manage it yourself, or once you load a song into iTunes, just delete the copy you have. Pretty simple.

There are plenty of reasons not to use iTunes, but it seems as though your issues aren't among them. Give it a try.

Ok, I figured out my problem. Every time I was importing a file to itunes, it kept compressing it to an mp4 and putting it in the itunes music folder. I found the problem. Use add to file library instead of import, unchecked copy to itunes folder. Thanks for the help

jl

Mac-in-Trash

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
How to Avoid iTunes Serious Limitations

As for HD space, ext drives are incredibly cheap, treat yourself to one - storage issues vanish overnight!! :D

I totally disagree with iTunes being the reason for iPods popularity.

The fact is the hardware is great and the software (iTunes) is a drawback at best. The limitations that iTunes puts on your iPod are pretty substancial compared to every other MP3 player out there.

(Start rant!)
The fact that I can not connect my iPod to a computer without iTunes and be able to play my music is almost criminal. The fact that I can not easily share (non copy righted) music and videos with other computers is also a crime (and so much for the fair useage laws!).
(End Rant!)

Just check out the following link and find a better way.

http://lifehacker.com/software/ipod...d-from-any-computer-without-itunes-237986.php

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
IQ required to use mp3 connected straight to a computer - LOTS -

IQ required to use iPod connected to a computer with iTunes - NOT LOTS -

I would agree that iTunes isn't perfect, but im after 4 years im still using it and have also never bought anything from the store.

Mac-in-Trash

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Required IQ...

Yeah...if "drag and drop" is something you consider to be "lots" on the IQ scale then how did you even get iTunes loaded on your machine?

Most MP3 players today require no more than "drag and drop" to move music on and off the device. Take a look past the iPod and its handcuffs called iTunes and you will see that there is a much better way.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Yeah...if "drag and drop" is something you consider to be "lots" on the IQ scale then how did you even get iTunes loaded on your machine?

Most MP3 players today require no more than "drag and drop" to move music on and off the device. Take a look past the iPod and its handcuffs called iTunes and you will see that there is a much better way.

Dude, 2 weeks to reply to a comment? ;)

5th gear, foot to the floor, cutting edge, pushing the envelope and other such clichéd remarks are methinks called for.

Anyway, in the early days of MP3's getting stuff onto a device was a right royal pain in the arse, Apple made it very simple and MOST IMPORTANTLY enable normal (non-geeks) to operate.

Huge sales, market leadership and fat profits followed.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just enable manual sync in iTunes and drag and drop songs from source directly into the iPod icon in iTunes; yes you will still need iTunes, but it won't save anything on your computer.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
totally

Dude, you bet! I'm tired of all these software programs trying to organize things for me. I must have complete control and knowledge of my computer for me to be happy. In fact, I'd like to compile code on my own too. I don't trust Mac OS X to do it right.

Damn you, damn you software developers and your shackles! I want to write with a pencil directly on the screen! Try to stop me from doing that! Excel, quit adding things for me! I want to know where every number is at all times; I can do it myself!

Let go man...iTunes is helpful for most normal computer users. Never understood it's "handcuff" allegations.

Lunchbox16

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
In response to the original question, would it be possible to use TinkerTool (or a similar program) to make the music library accessible, and then drag mp3 files directly into the F0x folders? I haven't tried this, but I'd be intrigued whether it worked.

Mac-in-Trash

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Wow...I thought Mac users were open minded.

Sorry for not responding sooner (I do have a life and was on vacation).

Easy for the non-geeks??? Three words for ya..."iPod for Dummys".

If iTunes is so easy why was this book required. I have seen so many people confused by iTunes when trying to do anything past the basic tasks (...ever watch a non-geek try to upgrade there iPod on their computer??? It is very entertaining).

Let's face it iTunes puts a strangle hold on how you can use you iPod when compared to any other player you can currently buy.

I admit you do have a point about the first music players (4-5 years ago) being difficult to use. But that is my point....every other maker has progressed on the software side but Apple stayed pat and decided that protecting the music industry was more important than updating their software. So much for the Mac image of being for the nonconformist...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
right...

If iTunes is so easy why was this book required. I have seen so many people confused by iTunes when trying to do anything past the basic tasks (...ever watch a non-geek try to upgrade there iPod on their computer??? It is very entertaining).

Cars aren't easy to drive. How many people read the manual that came with it? I didn't, and I bet not many other did either. How then did any of us learn to drive a car?

It's funny how people expect software to be complex enough for experts while at the same time simple enough for complete morons. Read a book.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
not replying because your on vacation?

STOP SLACKING AT THE BACK THERE!

WHAT ARE YOU, STEER OR QUEER?

;)

(your probably not from Texas but that classic scene just flashed into my mind!! Just watch a mod delete something)

As for the Dummy's books, find a topic where there isn't a book for.

It took Apple, a Computer company, to put the music industry's "House in order", within a year they transformed the entire music download form and structure and create a viable commercial and most importantly legal enterprise.

And, no, 4 and a half years later i have no desire to buy any music on line, but as a piece of software iTunes really is top fantastic and integral to the success of the iPod.

ashxf

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Baton Rouge
While I do use iTunes to manage my ipods, I also use Sharepod to truly free up my ipods. The program is a tiny little bit that lives ON the ipod itself, not your computer. When you plug the ipod into the computer, on PCs you can go to "My Computer" and click on the ipod icon which shows up as an external device. It'll open the ipod folders and there's Sharepod. You run the program from the device itself, and it allows you to copy files to and from the ipod and computer, on ANY computer. It has a built in media player too, so I can plug my ipod into my work computer and listen to it through my work terminal without having to install iTunes. Sharepod turns the ipod into a true plug and play device.

Still, you can plug the ipod into a computer running itunes and use itunes to manage the ipod if you so choose.

Ephpod is also a good one to check out.

---Ashley

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
While I do use iTunes to manage my ipods, I also use Sharepod to truly free up my ipods. The program is a tiny little bit that lives ON the ipod itself, not your computer. When you plug the ipod into the computer, on PCs you can go to "My Computer" and click on the ipod icon which shows up as an external device. It'll open the ipod folders and there's Sharepod. You run the program from the device itself, and it allows you to copy files to and from the ipod and computer, on ANY computer. It has a built in media player too, so I can plug my ipod into my work computer and listen to it through my work terminal without having to install iTunes. Sharepod turns the ipod into a true plug and play device.

Still, you can plug the ipod into a computer running itunes and use itunes to manage the ipod if you so choose.

Ephpod is also a good one to check out.

---Ashley

Just click the "Enable disk use" or something like that in iTunes and you can use your iPod as an external hard drive...

DIEDI

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Sorry to pull up an old thread , But it's still totally relevant. In fact even more so. I absolutely hate Itunes !! It is a bloated mess of an app. It just keeps getting worse. when you upload anything to Itunes now, you have to find it, !! It isn't recognising cds I burnt in previous incarnations. All I want to is to load music onto my ipod that I have downloaded onto my desktop. I just want to drag and drop. Adding insult to injury , if you try to drag and drop it makes all the right moves as though that is happening but it isn't !! Certainly don't end up in my ipod. !!

I love my mac, I love my ipod,but itunes just makes me angry:mad: As Mac In Thrash pointed out NEARLY TWO YEARS AGO!! everyone else has moved on!!

sconant93

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Billings, MT

Itunes is the reason people get so pissed at apple. they always want you to upgrade and that costs money. i myself have been forced to pay for an upgrade so that my ipod would work. i would love to be able to put it on manually, just by clicking and dragging.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Itunes is the reason people get so pissed at apple. they always want you to upgrade and that costs money. i myself have been forced to pay for an upgrade so that my ipod would work. i would love to be able to put it on manually, just by clicking and dragging.

...ahem... iTunes is a free download. If you paid anything, you paid too much.

What were you "forced" to purchase for said "upgrade"?
That is, besides an iOS upgrade for an iPod touch, which is not necessarily forced?

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009

If you have a compelling need to tinker with your computer and do things manually, go get a Linux distro and run that bad boy on your machine. The rest of us lazy buggers will stick with OS X and that dreaded iTunes.

I have nearly a Tb of media in iTunes and it runs like a clock. Don't understand the hating.........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.