Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
What's the best way right now to make voip phone calls with ipod touch when wifi is available? I heard good things about skype but is it really free to make phone calls within US? Or is there something else that is free to make phone calls?

Thanks

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Hold it to your face backwards and upside down. Skype works well. If google voice works, it would be better since it's free.

Slaptastic

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Right behind you
yes, google voice is free. use talkatone for google voice on your itouch 4g. it works better than any other free app.

Can Google Voice make calls to landlines/cell phones, or just to other users of the service?
Also~ same question for the Whistle app (ad-supported) someone mentioned earlier.
And, do you need to be in the US to make the calls to US lines?

TIA

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Google Voice can make the free call?:eek: Damn, Google Voice can't use in my country.

dark-saito

macrumors regular
I use Textfree... Its not free, but you can download free apps for more minutes (doing this initially, i had over 250 minutes free!) also, any and all incoming calls are free! Just let them know to call you first lol.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
yes, google voice is free. use talkatone for google voice on your itouch 4g. it works better than any other free app.

+1 for talkatone. Just set up your google voice account and it works wonderfully well. Free calls to any landline in Canada/USA

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
If you keep Skype open in the background if you have multitasking then you can recieve calls, and make them.

Skype will drain your battery though.

coynedanielle

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
I believe that there are no free calls, you need to at least buy some package to make free calls. Some provides as low as $4.95 per month even. However, the applications like Nimbuzz allows you to make free calls to other Nimbuzz user. But it will also cost you data minutes.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I believe that there are no free calls, you need to at least buy some package to make free calls. Some provides as low as $4.95 per month even. However, the applications like Nimbuzz allows you to make free calls to other Nimbuzz user. But it will also cost you data minutes.

whistle phone makes free calls, just have to listen to an add first

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I use Textfree with Voice. Works great. Especially because Textfree to Textfree calls are free, as well as incoming. And you get free unlimited texts. :D

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
TextFree with Voice.

I have an iPhone 4 and even use this to "supplement" my AT&T minutes. I only have 450 through AT&T.

Completely free incoming calls and tons of free minutes (I currently have 2,100 minutes and counting). Although, admittedly, TextFree as of late has cut down on their install X app for Y free minutes. If you check several times a day though you can still really stockpile the minutes like I have. I've noticed they sometimes only have free minutes earning apps up for a few minutes at a time, so you have to consistently check.

Plus it's a REAL number and you can make/receive calls from/to other REAL phones. The other party doesn't have to have a Skype account, or a special app, or any other cumbersome nonsense like linked phone accounts, etc.

diogojg20

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
Fring is the best and t let's you use skype VoIP etc and it's free

Cheers Diogojg20

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.