Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SloneMcG

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
You can add SMS contacts to the blackberry messenger contact list which is what he has done. Notice the lack of "D" and "R" indicators on the blackberry, he's also using the SMS app on the iphone

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Hi everyone i wanna download blackberry messenger for iphone 4 Is it possible? i saw a a few youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QE-krT5gI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjuoswXon-Y

I think blackberry messenger breakable .after downloadable for iphone 4.
necessary a some to contend :)

If you believe everything on YouTube, I have a farm with an ocean view in Switzerland to sell you.

HEHE, but all silliness aside, no, there's no BB Messenger for iPhone, but most of the new BlackBerry devices have the new BB Messenger that allows adding a SMS # or e-mail address as a messenger buddy to accommodate those without BB devices. It's not using the BB Messenger PIN-PIN function, it just is trying to compensate for RIM's realization that the world isn't going to BB, it's going away from it :)

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure whatsapp can talk to blackberrys

Yeah, as does AIM, Yahoo IM, GTalk, ICQ, Skype, Fring, blah blah blah, but clearly you're just posting to post, and not actually addressing the OP's question, which was regarding BlackBerry Messenger.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing than to say something for the sake of making noise :)

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
I'm pretty sure whatsapp can talk to blackberrys

Yeah, as does AIM, Yahoo IM, GTalk, ICQ, Skype, Fring, blah blah blah, but clearly you're just posting to post, and not actually addressing the OP's question, which was regarding BlackBerry Messenger.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing than to say something for the sake of making noise :)

I actually think Gavernty's post was very relevant. What's app is widely regarded as the iPhone's answer to BBM and as a bonus, it's cross-platform!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I actually think Gavernty's post was very relevant. What's app is widely regarded as the iPhone's answer to BBM and as a bonus, it's cross-platform!

It's no more cross platform than skype or aim or yahoo im or any other messenger, they all have android\iphone\bb clients. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of iPhone users have "what's app"... I'd hardly call that relevant or widely regarded as answer to BBM

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
It's no more cross platform than skype or aim or yahoo im or any other messenger, they all have android\iphone\bb clients. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of iPhone users have "what's app"... I'd hardly call that relevant or widely regarded as answer to BBM

yes and no most IM you need to have usernames, be signed in ect.

whatsapp uses your phone # and it automatically matches your contacts who also have whatsapp to your favorites, and i would say more then 1% of iphone users have whatsap its always in the top 25 paid apps section in the app store

Gavernty

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010

A messenger app that messages both iPhones and blackberry is not relevant to the op poster? It's more relevant than your cry baby rant... Grow up please.

BBM is a free service for blackberries to talk to eachother, whatsapp is a 99c app with free service for iPhones to talk to blackberrys

/thread

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
A messenger app that messages both iPhones and blackberry is not relevant to the op poster? It's more relevant than your cry baby rant... Grow up please.

BBM is a free service for blackberries to talk to eachother, whatsapp is a 99c app with free service for iPhones to talk to blackberrys

/thread

whatsapp need to be installed onto blackberries as well

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA

Pot meet Kettle :rolleyes: Your hall monitor attitude is less than amusing.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I can't believe blackberry still bothers marketing BBM like its at all impressive in 2011.

It's not, people just like to argue. A "universal" message is a text message, and BB Messenger was from the days where text messages were expensive, and before threaded messaging became commonplace on iPhone, Blackberry, etc...

Today BBM is entirely relevant for BB users, but so irrelevant for the rest of us. Having had a blackberry it's a great tool for bb to bb user communication, but the world is no longer dominated by BB users.

I love how people argue for the sake of arguing for points that are obviously invalid. No, Whatsapp is NOT commonplace. It's an app that's been around, few use, and it takes two people working together to establish connection through (ie. you have to make sure the other person knows to buy the app, install it, and manage that it's always running).

Just look at the tons of peer-peer messaging apps out there... none of them are going to gain mainstream adoption. If google\skype can't do it, nobody will. And no, they're not "mainstream" ... how many messages have you sent through either of them vs the built in messaging app in the last month? See. 99.999% of us send messages to domestic destinations (be it US to US, UK to UK, etc), so the built in works for the purpose. For those niche users who need it and want the tradoff of cheap\free international messaging and are wiling to take the hassle of Whatsapp, fine.

PS - Calling anyone who opposes your opinion a "cry baby" won't get you far in life. Just makes you look like a hypocrite to say you can express opposition opinion but others can't.

Gavernty

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
it wasn't because you opposed my opinion, it was because of your uncalled for attitude.

which, by the way, won't get your far in life either, just disliked by many, as noted in this thread.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
it wasn't because you opposed my opinion, it was because of your uncalled for attitude.

which, by the way, won't get your far in life either, just disliked by many, as noted in this thread.

Yep, and sometimes minority opinions are disliked. It's why the Apple Community is disliked by the 90% of computer users... but I guess by your standards they're right since they all disliking Apple as a majority and it's 10 to 1.

Last edited:

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
If your a BBM Fanatic or your friends all have Blacberries jsut tell them to use

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

All 3 of those are good apps

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
If your a BBM Fanatic or your friends all have Blacberries jsut tell them to use

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

Or...

Yahoo
AIM
Facebook Chat
TruPhone
Text+
FreeText
PingChat
TextPro
MSN Messenger
eBuddy
Windows Live Messenger

They ALL do the same thing... allow two people running the client to talk to each other cross-platform.

My only point was that there's no one app that's widely adopted. This week WhatsApp is #1, 30 days ago AIM was #1, August 1, 2010 Yahoo IM was number 1... so the apps come and go like the weather.

Next month there will be a new "most downloaded" because all those who want WhatsApp will have downloaded it and the download popularity will be driven by a different "latest" app.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

BBM is one of the thing that make BB to be BB its design for business with all the respect this 3 nice programs will stay for fan,

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
It's not, people just like to argue. A "universal" message is a text message, and BB Messenger was from the days where text messages were expensive, and before threaded messaging became commonplace on iPhone, Blackberry, etc...

Today BBM is entirely relevant for BB users, but so irrelevant for the rest of us. Having had a blackberry it's a great tool for bb to bb user communication, but the world is no longer dominated by BB users.

I love how people argue for the sake of arguing for points that are obviously invalid. No, Whatsapp is NOT commonplace. It's an app that's been around, few use, and it takes two people working together to establish connection through (ie. you have to make sure the other person knows to buy the app, install it, and manage that it's always running).

Just look at the tons of peer-peer messaging apps out there... none of them are going to gain mainstream adoption. If google\skype can't do it, nobody will. And no, they're not "mainstream" ... how many messages have you sent through either of them vs the built in messaging app in the last month? See. 99.999% of us send messages to domestic destinations (be it US to US, UK to UK, etc), so the built in works for the purpose. For those niche users who need it and want the tradoff of cheap\free international messaging and are wiling to take the hassle of Whatsapp, fine.

PS - Calling anyone who opposes your opinion a "cry baby" won't get you far in life. Just makes you look like a hypocrite to say you can express opposition opinion but others can't.

forget all the argue about why business use all BB,I am sure they know (me too)
just few questions

1- how much you pay for SMS national and over sea, I bat alot, BB massaging include in you data plain I pay for unlimited international data $64.99. I used my iphone for 2 weeks over sea cost me close to $1000.00
so if you want to use Skype with wifi think twice

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Or...

Yahoo
AIM
Facebook Chat
TruPhone
Text+
FreeText
PingChat
TextPro
MSN Messenger
eBuddy
Windows Live Messenger

They ALL do the same thing... allow two people running the client to talk to each other cross-platform.

My only point was that there's no one app that's widely adopted. This week WhatsApp is #1, 30 days ago AIM was #1, August 1, 2010 Yahoo IM was number 1... so the apps come and go like the weather.

Next month there will be a new "most downloaded" because all those who want WhatsApp will have downloaded it and the download popularity will be driven by a different "latest" app.

most of those apps require a username or some sign up whatsapp just uses your phone #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.