Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have noticed that all the songs in my iTunes library are not syncing to my iPhone, iPod Classic and iPad. For example, I have a Christmas playlist in iTunes that has 327 songs. Here is how the breakdown is for each device:

iTunes (Windows 7 laptop) 327 songs
iPod Classic (80GB-57GB free) 278 songs (49 songs missing)
iPhone 4 (32 GB, 19GB free) 325 songs (2 songs missing)
iPad (32GB, 12Gb Free) 325 songs (2 songs missing)
iPhone 3G (8GB 3Gb free) 320 songs (7 songs missing)

The example above is only for the Christmas playlist, but similar results are there for other playlists as well. I only have specific playlists synced with the iPhones and iPad where the entire music library should be on the iPod, yet that device has the greatest amount of missing songs. All devices were synced one right after the other in the order shown above.

As for the iPod, which is set to sync all music, the iTunes library on the PC shows that there is 3696 songs and the iPod only shows 3259 songs, which means there are 437 songs missing from the iPod. I don't get it.

79 Handyside

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Canada
I'll be interested to see what the answer is,because I have the same problem, and strangely enough it also involves Christmas music. Lots of space on my iPod and yet songs are missing. :confused:

79 Handyside

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Canada
No they are all checked. My iPod has lots of space for the music,but when I create a playlist of say 150 songs in i Tunes and then drag it into my i Pod only approximately 60 % of them will show up on my car radio display,and yet any other playlist will show 100 % of the songs. It's almost like Steve Jobs doesn't like seasonal music :D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Let's see. 2 possibilities.

1. If you bought it,
- Contact vendor the support
- Reimport the cd

2. You stole the music, that's your own problem.

I have no problem syncing songs that I bought.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida

1. If you bought it,
- Reimport the cd

All the songs were purchased skippy, explain why they sync to the iPhone and the iPad, but not to the iPod? If you noticed in my original post the iPad and iPhone are missing 2 songs from the Christmas list, but on the iPod Classic the list is missing 49 songs.

chezhoy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hanscom AFB, MA
My iPod Classic does that with movies imported to iTunes. It only syncs the ones I have purchased, not the ones that I have ripped with Handbrake.

79 Handyside

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Canada

1. If you bought it,
- Reimport the cd

Explain why other playlists on my iPod play all the songs that are included,but yet a playlist of 100 Christmas songs does not ??? :confused:

skinsey

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
Why don't all songs sync

All of a sudden I cannot sync any songs to my ipod. It syncs new audiobooks as I add them but won't sync a single song. I upgraded to 10.1.1 thinking that would help - it didn't. Have tried all sorts of suggestions found in other forums. Nothing works. Ideas?

skinsey

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
Nothing has changed. These are songs that have been in my library for a while. Well - I went from Mac to Windows - I guess that is a change but why should that matter to Itunes? My Ipod has not changed. Does this mean all my songs are worthless? I paid for all of them! I must have 40 or 50 albums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Perhaps you've moved some of the songs since putting them onto iTunes, and it can no longer find them? They'll still appear in your iTunes and you wont know until you try to play them.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I hade the very same problem. Here's what I found out: I tagged some of the christmas songs as audiobooks. I did that a long time ago, so that they did not interfere with the rest of my music, and forgot about it. As soon as I changed that back to "music", the tracks synced without any problem.

Darlyn

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
I've suddenly having this problem, too. Haven't synced in a few weeks, and now my new music isn't being synced and new apps aren't being transfered. I'm using 10.0.0.1.22 with a jailbroken 3G on 4.1.

Crp5

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Same issue here but even more complex. I have the same base music collection on 3 mac's. MBA 13", MBA 11", iMac and have issues with sync to iPhone 4G, iPhone 3GS, Ipod Touch 3 gen x2.

Each unit has issues with missing songs (rarely the same song on any one device) from playlists but have the same song elsewhere in the device. Songs play from iTunes so they are there... I can sync multiple times and the missing songs grow / shrink randomly. 21 of 67 once sync, 26 of 67 on the next and 19 of 67 on the third.

It makes no sense! :confused:

Darlyn

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Crp5, are all the devices jalbroken? Are they all on firmware 4.x? My theories as to what's causing these issues are as follows:
  • Apple is finally screwing with jailbroken devices (unlikely)
  • iTunes has a bug that only surfaces after a certain date, just like iOS had the alarm click issues after a certain date (possible, but still far-fetched)
  • Some jailbreak app has somehow corrupted the devices (possible)

Has anyone tried restoring? I'm thinking that would solve the problem, so maybe I'll do that myself and see what happens.

Crp5

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Crp5, are all the devices jalbroken? Are they all on firmware 4.x? My theories as to what's causing these issues are as follows:
  • Apple is finally screwing with jailbroken devices (unlikely)
  • iTunes has a bug that only surfaces after a certain date, just like iOS had the alarm click issues after a certain date (possible, but still far-fetched)
  • Some jailbreak app has somehow corrupted the devices (possible)

Has anyone tried restoring? I'm thinking that would solve the problem, so maybe I'll do that myself and see what happens.

Devices have not been jailbroken....not bold enough to try that. And all musics has either been purchased from ITunes or ripped from my old CD collection.

I have been playing around with playlists this evening and found that if I only sync a single playlist I can get all songs on the iTouch. However if I sync several playlists, the counts drop 20-50%. Oddly enough, I have the same song on all three attempted playlists and the song made it to 2 of the 3 sync'd lists... Thought it had something to do with duplicates but that theory was shot to heck with my last try.

I'm begining to think that iTunes has a bug as this issue has been popping up on the web since December. I haven't created any "smart playlists" so can't comment on those.

BTW - restored Iphone and Itouch over the past week hoping that might help.

Last edited:

Seandon

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
AAC version

Have you tried right clicking on the songs that will not sync and creating AAC versions of the songs and then syncing...

Crp5

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Have you tried right clicking on the songs that will not sync and creating AAC versions of the songs and then syncing...

That's the darndest thing...it isn't consistently the same songs. I have had a particular song show up on two of the three playlists. I have checked / unchecked the entire list and even created aac files hoping that would correct the issue. No luck.... Thinking this may be an issue with the latest ITunes update as i dont recall ever having this problem before I upgraded. To complicate matters I did go from. A windows machine to the MBA.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.