Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevor90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Hi all,i'm new here:)

I got a problem,when i connect my iphone 4 to itunes i can see that memory usage in the voice "APP" is 2,8GB" but i haven't got 2,8gb apps...
i have 1,3gb instead..

2,8-1,3=1,5gb that i don't know how is it...

is it a problem that need restore or is this normal?

sorry for my english and thanks all!i love this forum!

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I think I understand your question....you have loaded 1.3Gb of Apps on your iPhone but in iTunes it shows 2.8Gb leaving 1.5Gb unaccounted for?

I'm going to have to guess that you came to the 1.3Gb number by adding up the reported sizes of all the apps you have loaded? If that is the case, the other 1.5Gb is probably used inside of the apps for data storage. Do you have .pdf files or other documents? Current states of games? etc?

If you still think there is something not right, do a reset on your iPhone and see if that clears it up. If not, then it's probably something like I mentioned above.

EDIT: To be clear, I mean a reset, not a restore...hold the top button and the home button together until the apple logo appears and the iPhone restarts.

Trevor90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I think I understand your question....you have loaded 1.3Gb of Apps on your iPhone but in iTunes it shows 2.8Gb leaving 1.5Gb unaccounted for?

I'm going to have to guess that you came to the 1.3Gb number by adding up the reported sizes of all the apps you have loaded? If that is the case, the other 1.5Gb is probably used inside of the apps for data storage. Do you have .pdf files or other documents? Current states of games? etc?

If you still think there is something not right, do a reset on your iPhone and see if that clears it up. If not, then it's probably something like I mentioned above.

EDIT: To be clear, I mean a reset, not a restore...hold the top button and the home button together until the apple logo appears and the iPhone restarts.

ok i will try a reset...
anywhere it's strage that 1,5 gb are used by the apps...

edit:i have done the reset but i have still 2,8gb gb used by apps instead of 1.3...
maybe i can try deleting some apps and see what happens?

Last edited:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
App sizes reported in iTunes are the installer sizes. Once it's installed on your iDevice, it's uncompressed and takes up more space. Yes, double the space extra isn't unusual.

Trevor90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
App sizes reported in iTunes are the installer sizes. Once it's installed on your iDevice, it's uncompressed and takes up more space. Yes, double the space extra isn't unusual.

maybe what you are saying it's true but in user/music/itunes (windows vista) the space is 1,36GB...i got 78 app..only let's golf 2 is very big..500-600mb..

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
What I'm saying is true. Once installed apps take up more room. Twice 1.36 is 2.72. Doesn't matter how big individual apps are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.