Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuserjhs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Hello,
I want to become an iOS app developer. I dont have any experience with this or any other software developing. I am wondering if i sign up for the developer program on apple, will I learn along the way or do i have to take classes and what not? thanks

darthtroll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Firstly, you need a mac to develop for iOS. Secondly, you should register as Apple Developer (free) and get xcode (your development environment) all set up. Once that is done, you can learn some objective C basics, it's a little different than other languages.

Here's a great reference site:
http://cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_objectivec/

After that, I'd suggest looking for the stanford iphone development classes online. You can grab all the videos and pdf files that go with them through "iTunes U". Go over them and try out the examples. They're done pretty awesome, it'll feel like your taking a distance education class kinda and the best part is, it's free.

Darthtroll

macuserjhs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Yes, i have a mac and that is what i was talking about, registering as a mac developer but isnt it 99 dollars for the x code? And thanks for your suggestions about the online classes.

darthtroll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
It's free to register and become an Apple Developer.
It's free to download Xcode and sample code.

However, it costs $99 to enroll in the Apple Developer program. This is the program that is basically the deployment or final stage of your app. You don't need to pay this until your app is done basically.

Darthtroll

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you have zero experience programming, you will likely have to learn to program first, or you may well find yourself way over your head with app development.

Find an educational programming environment, maybe even one for kids or students, and learn that before tackling iOS apps. XCode, Objective C and the Cocoa Touch frameworks were not designed for educational purposes or with an easy learning curve. After you've learned to program in some gentler environment, iOS development will become a much more tractable hurdle.

Is there some way to add this to the forum sticky (of which I'm the original author)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.