Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CDutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Like many, I use Gmail as my primary email provider. In addition to the web interface, I have it setup using ActiveSync on my iPhone and using IMAP on my Mac at home.

After composing a rather lengthy email using Mail on my Mac last night, I opened the "All Mail" folder on my iPhone and noticed that there were at least 75 variations of that email in the "All Mail" folder. It appeared as if the Apple Mail application auto saved every couple of minutes and all of those versions were somehow were filed away in the "All Mail" folder...except, they only displayed on my iPhone...not in the Mac Mail app nor in the web interface.

I've dug around a bit looking for a solution and am yet to find anything. Any suggestions are appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Like many, I use Gmail as my primary email provider. In addition to the web interface, I have it setup using ActiveSync on my iPhone and using IMAP on my Mac at home.

After composing a rather lengthy email using Mail on my Mac last night, I opened the "All Mail" folder on my iPhone and noticed that there were at least 75 variations of that email in the "All Mail" folder. It appeared as if the Apple Mail application auto saved every couple of minutes and all of those versions were somehow were filed away in the "All Mail" folder...except, they only displayed on my iPhone...not in the Mac Mail app nor in the web interface.

I've dug around a bit looking for a solution and am yet to find anything. Any suggestions are appreciated.
The All Mail folder includes your Trash and Junk Mail folders. When you compose a message, it autosaves a copy periodically. When you save or send the message, it deletes those autosaved copies. If you empty your Trash message folder, they will also disappear from All Mail. All Mail does not contain a copy of messages in other folders; it simply displays all messages from all folders for that account, no matter which folder they're in.

You don't ever have to look at the All Mail folder, if you have Mail set up properly.

Properly sort Drafts, Deleted, and Sent mail in Apple Mail

To finish the setup:

Highlight [Gmail] Sent Mail in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.
Highlight [Gmail] Drafts in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Drafts
Highlight [Gmail] Trash in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Trash
Highlight [Gmail] Spam in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Junk

CDutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
My Gmail setup is in Mail is as you recommended at the end of your post.

I guess what I don't understand (and am trying to fix) is why all of the auto-saved copies appeared ONLY in All Mail on my iPhone.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My Gmail setup is in Mail is as you recommended at the end of your post.

I guess what I don't understand (and am trying to fix) is why all of the auto-saved copies appeared ONLY in All Mail on my iPhone.
If you empty your Trash folder, then sync, do they still appear on the iPhone?

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
The All Mail folder includes your Trash and Junk Mail folders. When you compose a message, it autosaves a copy periodically. When you save or send the message, it deletes those autosaved copies. If you empty your Trash message folder, they will also disappear from All Mail. All Mail does not contain a copy of messages in other folders; it simply displays all messages from all folders for that account, no matter which folder they're in.

You don't ever have to look at the All Mail folder, if you have Mail set up properly.

To finish the setup:

Highlight [Gmail] Sent Mail in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.
Highlight [Gmail] Drafts in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Drafts
Highlight [Gmail] Trash in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Trash
Highlight [Gmail] Spam in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Junk

what are your settings in mailbox behaviors? thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
in Mail preferences, click your gmail account, then the second tab says mailbox behaviors. sets what to store on the server was wondering how you had those set
They're set to store messages on the server. Why?

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010

To finish the setup:

Does anyone here know how to mimic the "use this mailbox for" settings above on an idevice running 4.3.1????? I want deleted and sent emails emails from iPad and iPhone to show up in my trash and sent folders on gmail.com ... I set up Mac mail this way but for the life of me haven't figured out how to do it on iPhone and iPad... Help anyone please! A couple of web write-ups have told me to go to 'advanced' mail options in preferences but I can't find that anywhere!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.