Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyWhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I want to buy an iPhone 4 and the carrier is Fido. I am currently on Rogers right now. I heard that sim cards with Rogers and Fido can be interchangable? So can I put my Rogers sim card into the FIDO iPhone 4 and use it? If that doesn't work, how can I use my rogers simcard in a FIDO iPhone 4? It is on the lastest firmware says the person that is selling to me. He said it can be downgraded and then unlocked? Is this true? Also does jailbreaking/unlocking slow down the iPhone?

P.S. I will be cutting my simcard into a microsim, is this a bad idea?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I would assume that it would work, otherwise you might be able to get Rogers or Fido to unlock it. Also, you could unlock it and it would work.

TEG

JonnyWhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I would assume that it would work, otherwise you might be able to get Rogers or Fido to unlock it. Also, you could unlock it and it would work.

TEG

If I unlock it, should I go to Rogers or Fido (the carrier phone is locked with)? And would it cost any money? If so how much?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If I unlock it, should I go to Rogers or Fido (the carrier phone is locked with)? And would it cost any money? If so how much?

If you jailbreak and unlock yourself, then there's no need to worry about the SIM card business because it's then compatible with all GSM carriers. And as for the SIM cutting, I've seen many successful jobs (and there are tools you can buy online to do ease the process) but personally I wouldn't do it. Just go to your carrier and request a micro SIM, shouldn't cost too much, if anything. They'll probably take your old SIM away. It might be wise to invest in a micro SIM to regular SIM adapter, as well; if you had an older model iPhone that you still wished to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.