Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolguy89002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
So i have quite the dilemma here. I had saved my backups to my laptop, but the laptop wire was chewed by my dog and that computer couldnt be used anymore. So i decided to update to iOS 4 on my Windows Desktop computer. I have never saved any backups to this computer. I clicked the update button on Itunes thinking that it will back it up for me and it showed that it was, until the very end when it said that 'The backup could not be saved on your computer' which i clicked okay to and the updated kept going on. I thought that messages, and contacts, and notes would not be deleted when updating and i didnt care about the music and the photos because there wasnt much. BUT was i wrong or what, after the update it showed it was restoring my phone and loading the previous backup. When the update was completed, i lost EVERYTHING on it. Losing the text messages definetly hurt the most:(. Is there a way to find the backup from when it started updating even though it said that it wasnt saved because it had funny backuped it up but i guess just wasnt fully saved. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Ive searched in the file where the backup should be stored and it wasnt there:(

kip0013

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
I have a similar problem. I have always plugged my phone in every two days. It always tells me its backing up and then syncing. I had to restore my phone and it only had a backup from July of this year. I can not find any other back ups. Please Help

IPhone 4 with 4.2.1 itunes 10.1

kip0013

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Try this site. It worked for me to be able to backup again. Although all my other data is lost for good.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I have a similar problem. I have always plugged my phone in every two days. It always tells me its backing up and then syncing. I had to restore my phone and it only had a backup from July of this year. I can not find any other back ups. Please Help

IPhone 4 with 4.2.1 itunes 10.1
If you open iTunes prefs and look under the devices tab, what is shown under the "Device Backups" column?

lovinglife

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Dude, that totallly sucks. If it backed up from way back when, chances are it probably doesn't have a newer backup.... You should get a zip drive or something to prevent this from happening in the future...

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
So i have quite the dilemma here. I had saved my backups to my laptop, but the laptop wire was chewed by my dog and that computer couldnt be used anymore. So i decided to update to iOS 4 on my Windows Desktop computer. I have never saved any backups to this computer. I clicked the update button on Itunes thinking that it will back it up for me and it showed that it was, until the very end when it said that 'The backup could not be saved on your computer' which i clicked okay to and the updated kept going on. I thought that messages, and contacts, and notes would not be deleted when updating and i didnt care about the music and the photos because there wasnt much. BUT was i wrong or what, after the update it showed it was restoring my phone and loading the previous backup. When the update was completed, i lost EVERYTHING on it. Losing the text messages definetly hurt the most:(. Is there a way to find the backup from when it started updating even though it said that it wasnt saved because it had funny backuped it up but i guess just wasnt fully saved. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Ive searched in the file where the backup should be stored and it wasnt there:(
If you had your contacts synced on the computer in Outlook, or to a webmail service like Gmail, you can resync them to your phone using iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.