Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carola4700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
I want to buy the ipad but also don't want wireless in my house so I have been asking about 3G option in apple store. I hear many different opinions. I know it is a little slower than wireless but some folks say MUCH slower and others say it's really fine. I would mostly be using just for browsing on Safari or firefox. I also heard that even with simple browsing (no email or move watching), you use up the MGB so quickly that the $25 just won't be enough in a one month period. Does anybody have any comments about this?

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I want to buy the ipad but also don't want wireless in my house so I have been asking about 3G option in apple store. I hear many different opinions. I know it is a little slower than wireless but some folks say MUCH slower and others say it's really fine. I would mostly be using just for browsing on Safari or firefox. I also heard that even with simple browsing (no email or move watching), you use up the MGB so quickly that the $25 just won't be enough in a one month period. Does anybody have any comments about this?
3G will not be 'a little slower'. It will be far, far slower (not to mention more expensive). Why is it you do not want wireless?

carola4700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Is 3G on Ipad slow

OK. YOu've convinced me that it will be too slow to really enjoy. It's strange that the apple store people didn't explain that to me. The wireless costs $6 extra a month and i believe I have to pay time warner $100 to install it. I considered buying the airport express but if something goes wrong with the wireless, I wouldn't have any tech support whereas I do with time warner.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
OK. YOu've convinced me that it will be too slow to really enjoy. It's strange that the apple store people didn't explain that to me. The wireless costs $6 extra a month and i believe I have to pay time warner $100 to install it. I considered buying the airport express but if something goes wrong with the wireless, I wouldn't have any tech support whereas I do with time warner.

LOL got to best buy, cheap linksys, set up your own network, waste of a $100, lol, read up a little

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
I don't thing I would enjoy my iPad without 3G service. It depends where you live but I get about 2mbps download which is better than no internet on the go. But yes you need a wifi setup while at home.

Wizard of Willo

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Totally new to this technology. I will post a question here because I can't find how

I live in a remote part of Alaska. Purchased a 3G 32Gig iPad. I want to download past seasons of television series through I tunes and play them on a television (smart) similar to a DVD player. I was told AT&T would shut me off because it would be to much downloading even though I have their $25. month service. I do not want to store programs on iPad because I will delete after I watch. What is best way to accomplish this?

Wizard of Willo

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
almighty now

I live in a remote part of Alaska. Purchased a 3G 32Gig iPad. I want to download past seasons of television series through I tunes and play them on a television (smart) similar to a DVD player. I was told AT&T would shut me off because it would be to much downloading even though I have their $25. month service. I do not want to store programs on iPad because I will delete after I watch. What is best way to accomplish this?
There is no internet available other than 3G.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

AT&T's $25 plan is good for 2GB of data transfer per month. An episode of a one-hour TV show is... well, the one I have is around 750MB. So downloading about 2 and a half episodes of a TV show will use up your monthly data allowance. I think you can buy another 2GB by paying AT&T another $25, but really, at that rate, I think you'll be better off buying the show on DVDs.

Wizard of Willo

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
thank-you Night Spring

Thank-you night spring. That was what I needed to know. Will buy series next time when in the city.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.