Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneIA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Iowa
I am new to this forum so sorry if this question has all ready been asked. I have been a Blackberry user for the past 3 years and on the 3rd and will see the light and per-order my Iphone 4 from Verizon. My question is; Do you need to activate the phone in a VZW store or will it come ready to operate right out of the box?

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I am new to this forum so sorry if this question has all ready been asked. I have been a Blackberry user for the past 3 years and on the 3rd and will see the light and per-order my Iphone 4 from Verizon. My question is; Do you need to activate the phone in a VZW store or will it come ready to operate right out of the box?

You dial *228 and activate it like every other Verizon phone...buying it in store they will activate it for you.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I did my droid online and had it ship to my house when I upgraded from my bb pearl. It arrived unactivated and had wirtten instructions for how to activate it, but essentially it involved dialing *228 as if you were updating roaming towers but instead chosing the other option to "program" the phone. It then walks you through several steps OTA and your done.

If you're patient enough to wait on phones (moot point here as online is the only method for the iphone) its the best way to do it. For my droid there was no messing with mail in rebates ("internet price") or verizon store employees/crowds. Great way to do it!

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Not sure about the *228 thing but most likely you will have to plug it into iTunes like all other iphones to activate it.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
A lot of confusion. The 228 thing is not for the iPhone. It is only for "ordinary" phones. :)

iPhones are activated through iTunes.

At least this is the AT&T method. Of course AT&T is much more advanced than Verizon. It doesn't need the old fashioned roaming tower update nonsense, does data and voice at the same time etc. :rolleyes:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
iTunes will be in the mix somewhere.

That's an assumption. Being stuck w/ iTunes would be a downer. It would be nice to do an untethered activation for once.

A lot of confusion. The 228 thing is not for the iPhone. It is only for "ordinary" phones. :)

At least this is the AT&T method. Of course AT&T is much more advanced than Verizon. It doesn't need the old fashioned roaming tower update nonsense, does data and voice at the same time etc. :rolleyes:

More carrier fanboy BS. OTA activations and updates are considered more advanced.

The *228 thing is for ALL Verizon phones. If the iPhone doesn't use *228 it will be a precedent. So based on what we know about Verizon activations, using *228 is the most likely answer.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA

How do you know its not for the iPhone, do you work at Apple or Verizon? No...thats what I thought. Verizon uses the OTA programming for EVERY PHONE THEY SELL. Why be forced to activate using iTunes? You dont need to own a computer to use the iPhone, it can download apps and music, surf the internet and everything else without a computer and the only reason you need the computer is to unlock the phone...

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
How do you know its not for the iPhone, do you work at Apple or Verizon? No...thats what I thought. Verizon uses the OTA programming for EVERY PHONE THEY SELL. Why be forced to activate using iTunes? You dont need to own a computer to use the iPhone, it can download apps and music, surf the internet and everything else without a computer and the only reason you need the computer is to unlock the phone...

You need the pc/mac in order to load music from your own personal collection to the iPhone. Do not be surprised if you're required to activate via iTunes as this was the case with AT&T. Guess VZ customers will find out once they begin to receive their devices and I'm sure they will report back here.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I go with those who think the customer will have to use iTunes, because Apple's whole deal is to tie people into their ecosystem.

They want our name and credit info. And they want us to only buy apps from their store.

In addition, iOs devices are dependent on a host computer for operating system updates.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I had a rep tell me that activation will take place by using a wire hanger covered in tin foil that has been fashioned into bunny ears (one will come with the phone evidently.) and the mothership will transmit the *228 code once the iPhone is syncing with iTunes. He did say that it might require some fidgeting but everything should go smoothly during the ascension.

I thought it was weird too but I've been hearing lots of strange things from the Verizon reps lately.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite

You are right of course. The advantage of iTunes is that it backs up all of your music, videos, apps, etc.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana

I wouldn't imagine Apple bowing to Verizon to do a 228 activation instead of going to iTunes. Unless Verizon made them rewrite iOS to do so (which would happen when hell freezes over).

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I wouldn't imagine Apple bowing to Verizon to do a 228 activation instead of going to iTunes. Unless Verizon made them rewrite iOS to do so (which would happen when hell freezes over).

You mean like Verizon getting the iPhone when hell freezes over?

I really sick and tired of people saying things will NEVER happen on this site. (Or will happen when "hell freezes over").

A better way to state your point (and one I could agree with) is that performing a *228 might require some additional code in iOS. It's possible that both parties agreed that it would be simpler to leave the existing iTunes activations in place.

However, one could argue that this requires a new activation process at Verizon with new code and new servers. So I think this argument could go both ways.

The most compelling argument I've heard so far is that Apple wants the users to be tied to iTunes for the whole Apple ecosystem. On the flip side of that, it allows users to more easily load music not purchased from iTunes. Without being tethered to iTunes on the PC, all users would have to purchase music via iTunes on their phones. I see this as a pro for Apple.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Activating an iPhone in iTunes does far more than just tell your carrier that you are using it.

iTunes does several things upon activation (including setting up push notifications).

I'm sure that Apple will require CDMA iPhones to be activated just like all other iPhones must be (even those that are sold unlocked).

An Activated GSM iPhone can have a new SIM inserted without it requiring activation, so I'd imagine that once a Verizon iPhone has been activated in iTunes, it can be moved to another account by dialling *228 like other phones can.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Knowing Apple and their controll I bet it will need itunes to activate just like every other iphone sold.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Well this is simple enough. It's already answered on Verizon's site.

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html
Do I need iTunes to set up my iPhone?

Yes, you need to use iTunes 10.1 or later to set up your iPhone for the first time. Connect your iPhone to your computer and iTunes syncs whatever you want to take with you. It’s easy to control exactly what to sync, and you can clearly see how much space you have left to fill. With the iTunes Store on your iPhone, you can download music, movies, TV shows, apps, games, and more, from wherever you are within the Verizon Wireless coverage area. When you’re back at your computer, connect your device. iTunes syncs what you bought on the road to your Mac or PC.If you'd like to make purchases from the iTunes Store or App Store, you can create a new Apple ID or specify an existing one during set up. For corporate users, you may need to contact your wireless administrator for additional information on installing iTunes.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Friendly reminder. No matter what carrier an iPhone is associated with, Apple owns you now. You're gonna be locked into iTunes whether you like it or not. Get used to it, it's a dictatorship.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Friendly reminder. No matter what carrier an iPhone is associated with, Apple owns you now. You're gonna be locked into iTunes whether you like it or not. Get used to it, it's a dictatorship.

Actually it's more of a streamlined delivery process. Why would they not want to use it, to be fair?

By using a single delivery method for updates to your phone, and content, they guarantee as close to "perfect" as you're going to get since they don't have to account for any 3rd party issues arising from various other systems.

Ya know what I mean?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Well this is simple enough. It's already answered on Verizon's site.

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

DOH!

Actually it's more of a streamlined delivery process. Why would they not want to use it, to be fair?

By using a single delivery method for updates to your phone, and content, they guarantee as close to "perfect" as you're going to get since they don't have to account for any 3rd party issues arising from various other systems.

Ya know what I mean?

No, streamlined would be using a decent program...unlike iTunes.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
No, streamlined would be using a decent program...unlike iTunes.

I, actually, have no issues w/ iTunes. I generally only use it on my Macbook Pro but honestly I can't complain of any issues w/ it. Runs fine, doesn't cause me any issues, etc.

I think it's great as far as the design to sync (iPad, iPod, iPhone) and ease on that end. Much easier than syncing things through RIM's software for sure.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
My complaint about iTunes is that it's a big ol' fat hog and Apple hasn't given it the right kind of attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.