Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerchord

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
right where I am
iPod Classic is treasured by the small cult of the so-called audiophiles. As with people who are obsessed with every minor details, lossless ALAC can easily fill up 220GB pretty quickly, not to mention the 'relatively meager' 160GB. So if it really comes to iPod Classic, this minor update is more than welcome.

Well said. Let's just hope that Apple big-wigs feel the same way. Pity if they don't, though.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Someday the iPod Classic will be as thin as the iPod Touch, once high capacity flash memory goes mainstream... :rolleyes:

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
does anyone really need to store 220gb of music?

I guess if you rip raw though

How about those of us that have more than 5 CDs worth of music?

My 160GB ipod is full, and it doesn't have all of my music on it (and yes, most of it in mp3 format). There is a pleasure in just having all your music on your ipod that you can shuffle through during an 8 hour work day. No managing playlists or deciding what to include and what to exclude on your piddly little 16GB ipod. No worrying about hearing the same song a few times a day. Just random play of over 30 years of accumulated music, form albums ripped into the computer to the free RCRD download I put on it last night...

Far from 'who cares'. I'll give you a nice Homer Simpson "arrrrrr" drool upon hearing of a (potential) 220GB capacity.

lgutie20

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
Colombia
Sorry to get a little off topic but I don't see how a .41 inch iPod classic has more flash storage than a .5 inch iPad. 220 GB should go into the next generation iPad!

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
iPod Classic is treasured by the small cult of the so-called audiophiles. As with people who are obsessed with every minor detail, lossless ALAC can easily fill up 220GB pretty quickly, not to mention the 'relatively meager' 160GB. So if it really comes to iPod Classic, this minor update is more than welcome.
What would be more useful would be the option to select bitrate for synching with iTunes. I rip to ALAC on my Mac, but do I need that on my iPod with crappy earphones? No, but neither do I want just the option to transfer at 128kps.

Having said that, I don't feel the need to carry all my music with me anyway.

Sabon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
There's a VERY BIG reason why none of you run Apple.

There's a VERY BIG reason why none of you run Apple.

Steve Jobs is famous for killing technology a year before it needs to be. If the iPod Classic is still around there is a reason for it. So the fact that it is still around when all he has to say it, "off with its head" and it will be done, says a lot.

Take for instance, the X Serve which was "served" its notice not long ago.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I just need to go ahead and pick up the current 160GB before it gets too expensive too to rarity once it gets the ax.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Yeah, I know it will get me some flak for saying so...but WHO CARES about the old school iPod anymore? -1 Macrumors.

If Apple were smart...theyd put this into a (thinner)redesigned MBP chassis, WITH a SSD module (MBA). Now that would be the *****.

Well if you actually bothered to read some of the replies in this thread it would become quite plain that you're wrong and some people would want this.

Too bad, you've only just found out the world doesn't revolve around you and others have different needs/wants to yours. Must be a bad day for you to suddenly realise this.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010

I have a friend with mostly mp3 who is getting up there to 160. I've converted a lot of my apple lossless to mp3 to make space because I only have a 120 gb. 220 would be nice.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Oh sorry about my (HUGE) mistake! Now I won't be able to sleep at night.

Well then put a "hard drive" into the iPad! That will make the iPad even cheaper!
You did make a huge mistake and you are playing it off like it's nothing. Clearly you have no idea what the difference is between a HDD and an SSD. A 4200-RPM HDD in an iPad is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. Almost as bad as some people wanting an optical drive in the iPad.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If only I had ripped all my music in near lossless format. But I didn't, because of capacity back with the 30GB iPod. And then with the iPhone..

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Would be nice to see a 220GB iPod Touch!

I’ve always been surprised that Apple didn’t just offer one high-end HD-based (thicker) iPod Touch instead of keeping the Classic. After all, the Classic is still another hardware design anyway.

But lately it occurred to me that with an HD (used for cost reasons vs. massive flash drives), performance would suffer (app load times etc.). Maybe that’s just not a great user experience when people can compare to a smaller flash-based Touch.

Still, a Touch with a big flash drive, whatever the cost and bulk, would be very cool in terms of pure capability! Might not be a big seller though.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

Yes...for WAV or lossless compression files. Even 320K MP3s take up a fair amount of space.

There are lots of people out there that have (like me) 20,000 songs from huge libraries of music. We may only make up 5% of the iPod crowd but still 5% of 300 million Americans is 15million people. Now factor in worldwide consumers and even if you want to reduce it to 1% it's still a sizeable "market" to sell the Classic to in raw numbers.

My 20k+ @ 192k add up to about 180GB so I cannot fit them all on my Classic right now.

If I encoded them all at 320k it would eat about 290GB. Lossless compression would probably eat 400GB. WAV would probably eat 1TB.

Even if people had 10,000 tunes, that's a lot of music and space if you want to store it in a pristine level.

Last edited:

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
You did make a huge mistake and you are playing it off like it's nothing. Clearly you have no idea what the difference is between a HDD and an SSD. A 4200-RPM HDD in an iPad is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. Almost as bad as some people wanting an optical drive in the iPad.

Are there really some peolle who want moving parts in their ipad? Why not a vhs player?

Adam Young

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
Not going to happen...

The current iPod classic still uses a PATA HDD. All previous 1.8" HDD iPods used PATA. I really don't think Apple will switch to SATA. They could have done so 3 years ago when Toshiba introduced the GS (SATA) series, and they didn't.

The classic seems to be selling OK, but not good enough to warrant a full logic board overhaul in my opinion.

Sorry.

(Adam Young from ipodrepair.nl)

quinney

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Steve Jobs is famous for killing technology a year before it needs to be. If the iPod Classic is still around there is a reason for it.

I'm guessing he needs it to hold his entire music collection.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Although I would love the 220GB over my 160GB classic, I'm still quite annoyed that there isn't a 128GB Flash Classic yet.

The iPod Touch and iPhones easily store 64GB in those super thin designs...the Classic is much thicker and could likely hold 128GB sometime very very soon since things always get smaller, faster, and cheaper in the computer world.

Maybe 2 Classics...a 220GB HDD and a 128GB Flash.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
[Ive been waiting for this for 2 years!!! THANK YOU APPLE!!

Actually, Apple hasn't done a thing yet. The drives are merely available if Apple decides to use them. And they may not. Its more likely that the iPod Touch will be updated to 128GB and the iPod Classic will be phased out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.