Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
I hate this stupid thing, really. I love Apple and the products, but I wish I've never bought the new Nano. The screen is too small for me, maybe it's because I'm a big guy (tall, not fat), and my fingers are bigger, but I can't stand the new Nano. I'm selling it and buying a 5th Generation.

And now, the thing won't stay in iTunes! When I connect it, it shows up, then disconnects! If I try to add music, delete a song or even try to do an "info" check, it will freeze and crash iTunes.

Also, the clip only works on my belt. If I put it "sideways" on my shirt, it falls off in a few minutes of walking. The only way it stays on is if I put it "down" on my belt. I usually just carry it in my pocket to keep from losing it.

Finally, my biggest problem is I can't control long mp3's like I used to. I listen to a lot of audio books, and it is impossible for me to get back to where I was if I lose my place. I also listen to a 4-hour radio show in MP3 format, and you can forget that too. Say I want to skip the 4 minute introduction, music and commercials, the Nano can't handle it. That or my large fingers. I find it impossible to move the position to where I want it, only in the general area. It sucks. I'm giving it to my daughter and buying a 5th generation. I don't see Apple returning to the click wheel, now that they're all about the touch screen.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Many of the points you made factored into my getting a refurb 5th gen instead of a new 6th gen when my 2nd gen was stolen recently, even though I already have another 5th gen. I'm not impressed with the new nano either. It's little more than an expensive touch-screen shuffle.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I had thought about getting a 6G nano but after finding it really annoying to fight with the touchscreen interface on a too-small screen when I tried it out at the Apple Store I decided to get a far better touchscreen device: a 4G iPod touch (32 GB).

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
TC, I had zero issues with my iPod and iTunes but will agree the clip is pretty bad. It doesn't quite clip strong enough and one side where the actual spring is it seems heavier so yes it doesn't clip right. My old shuffle worked fine so it must be because the Nano weighs slightly more.

As for the screen, it works fien for me after a few days of getting used to it and my hands are actually pretty big too. True at the gym or on a run, navigating the screen isn't as intuitive as the bigger screened iTouch or old school Nano click wheel but it works.

I think the reason I don't have a huge issue with it is that this is my supplementary iPod. I have an iTouch (only 3rd generation) and an iPhone that I use when I truly want to listen to music or whatever. Those are so much easier to navigate. When I know I'm going to be active then I take the Nano and navigating tracks and such aren't that bad since I just select a playlist and go.

Also, I got a watch band for it and run the cable up the sleeve of my hoodie. Feels great that way but yes, clipping it to my sleeve didn't work at all since it did keep falling off.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
Yup, they butchered the line with the 6th Gen. The 5th Gen probably was cannibalizing other products, though, because it was so good and cheap. Remember, Apple is a corporation and want as much $money$ as possible.

I hope that they do decide to return the the taller form factor of the 5th Gen. The camera was a nice addition but not necessary. Let me hold it in my hand without squinting! I mean, there's a reason why remote controls are not the size of peanuts.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
God I hate this iPod.

- It doesn't turn off

- When it does decide to power-down, it doesn't remember where I left off in any podcasts. Stupid POS.

- The whole tap to get the playback controls is so clunky. And then you have to swipe to get the scroll thing. Well, when the Nano has forgotten where I left off in my podcasts and I want to find it fast, the last thing I want is a lame fast-forward/pause/rewind button layout. I need the scrub tool if I'm going to have any hope finding where the hell I left off in my podcast as fast as I can (so I'm not standing there at the gym, wasting time looking at this dumb gadget like one of those defective people that can't stop playing with their phones for two minutes).

Seriously, though, it's like Apple is going down a bad road, ignoring UI and pushing out crap because everyone will buy it. It's going to bite them in the end, no doubt about that.

Just in case I wasn't absolutely clear: the iPod Nano 6g just plain sucks.

Last edited:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
I think I said something about this in this forum when the 6th gen was introduced, and I'll repeat it here: The nano's been nerfed. Get a refurb 5th gen if you want a nano.

Heck, even a used 3rd gen "fatty" nano from a pawn shop is better-- at least it plays video.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Doesn't it depend on your usage. I just picked up a 6th to use for running and working out. the 5th is a bit big to clip on your waist and i've never been a big arm band guy. using it as a music player for long runs or workouts is my goal and the size should make it the winner.

The jury is still out for me, but i don't need my ipod to take pictures or voice notes, just play music and sync with Nike+

Just my 2 cents and, again, the jury is still out for me.

ryanrich

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Doesn't it depend on your usage. I just picked up a 6th to use for running and working out. the 5th is a bit big to clip on your waist and i've never been a big arm band guy. using it as a music player for long runs or workouts is my goal and the size should make it the winner.

The jury is still out for me, but i don't need my ipod to take pictures or voice notes, just play music and sync with Nike+

Just my 2 cents and, again, the jury is still out for me.

Yup, I use my iPhone for music and media when travelling, and I wanted the smallest possible iPod for gym and running that still had a small screen, so the new nano is perfect for me and I'm really enjoying it! I have no issues with the touch screen...

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006

This might be the only situation I can imagine in which the 6th gen would beat the 5th. And then only if the nano's clip is secure enough...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I don't hate it but I don't really like it either. Was originally looking for a 5G Nano but couldn't find a decent one and just wound up getting the 6G instead. Yeah, it takes awhile to get used to but, overall, not too shabby. I'm sure Apple will kill this whole touchscreen nano idea on the 7th gen one but, for me, I ONLY use this thing while at the gym so it's not a huge issue for me. Still though, would've liked to have gotten the 5G instead but since I use mine every once in awhile, I can used to this thing.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I've been on the fence about buying a new iPod Nano. I still use my 4th generation 16GB Nano but the battery is showing signs of age. The only problem is, I love the click wheel and it's sturdy construction.

I should have bought a fifth gen when I last seen them on shelves, but pink really wasn't my color.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
At least you haven't had any physical defect problems with your iPod nano 6G.

The first one I had, the sleep/wake button got stuck and wouldn't work.

Now the one they replaced it with, the screen is separating from the case. I've sent it in for repair TWICE now and each time the technician diagnoses it as "in spec". The second time I sent it in, I put a piece of paper in it, showing that you can actually JAM paper UNDER the screen and they still say there is no problem.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
This might be the only situation I can imagine in which the 6th gen would beat the 5th. And then only if the nano's clip is secure enough...

Yeah, even feature-wise its horrible. It should've been iPod Shuffle Touch or somethin like that starting at 100$. Then, its a great product.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
It pays music???? really??? I only use mine as a watch. (new it played music) The only reason I wanted it for Christmas was to use it as a quirky time piece. I will say the FM radio comes in uber handy at times though.

Cuba46

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
LA
I have one of those, and it still gets a lot of use. I have a newer Nano and an iPod touch, but I really like the Nano 3G.

I had the 3rd gen Nano and it was amazing. It played video and had a great screen, flat and not too shiny, then I lost it and got the new nano. It's great for listening to music and the radio. But I really miss the movies of the previous generations. Maybe Apple will release a firmware update tomorrow (1/24/11) at Macworld.

TorontoLRT

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Toronto, Duh!
I've been on the fence about buying a new iPod Nano. I still use my 4th generation 16GB Nano but the battery is showing signs of age. The only problem is, I love the click wheel and it's sturdy construction.

I should have bought a fifth gen when I last seen them on shelves, but pink really wasn't my color.

I have a fourth gen, and know it is a thousand times better than the 6th! Keep it, or buy one on eBay if it craps out.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
The only experience I've had with this nano is in my local apple store. Despite the salesman showing me how to use it, I could not reliably get the thing to do what I wanted. Form 1, Function 0.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
5G nano owner here, I sold my 4G as soon as I heard the rumor specs of the 5G nano. I just knew it would be a killer product, and imo I was right.:D

I've always thought the 5G was better than the 6G. Better features and better value.

When the 6G nano came out I think many peoples judgement was clouded by the thought of using it as a watch more than an MP3 player:confused:

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
It would've sold much more if they'd named it iWatch or Shuffle touch....:rolleyes:

They've destroyed two great iPod products - Nano which is my favourite and Classic - they're not at all paying attention to that, pretty much dead. Shuffle was/is never a complete music player. That only leaves Touch. Really bad, only one iPod left...

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
It would've sold much more if they'd named it iWatch or Shuffle touch....:rolleyes:

They've destroyed two great iPod products - Nano which is my favourite and Classic - they're not at all paying attention to that, pretty much dead. Shuffle was/is never a complete music player. That only leaves Touch. Really bad, only one iPod left...

To be fair, if you update the classic, it's no longer the classic! I'm not sure there's much they can do to that, other than improve battery and disk space.

I too hate the new nano. It lost video, it lost the camera, and it got a really bad UI. What's to like?

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
To be fair, if you update the classic, it's no longer the classic! I'm not sure there's much they can do to that, other than improve battery and disk space.

I too hate the new nano. It lost video, it lost the camera, and it got a really bad UI. What's to like?

Size.
The last thing i need on a long run or workout is added weight or bulk. Not that the previous versions were overly big or heavy, but the 6th gen is great for what i need it for, which is, listening to music while running and using the Nike+. don't need video or a camera.

Granted, it's not perfect (nike+ should have been native on the device) but I am really enjoying it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I've had mine since launch and I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's great for the treadmill, but I feel cheated for the price I paid for it.

There are some glaring software bugs that bother me including well documented problems with the Nike+ app (inaccuracy, failure to calibrate, , etc) on the Apple discussion boards and overall UI issues with the OS (swipe to view song length, etc).

I also don't like the fact it came with Apple's standard headphones and not the clicker headphones.

If I could find a new iPod nano 5G in stock for a decent price, I would purchase one of those instead. It's definitely a generation 1 product.

I expect the future mult-touch Nanos will have bluetooth, wifi and run a stripped down version of iOS (instead of the old PortalPlayer/iPod OS) with a widget store (either on the device itself or from within iTunes).

For the gym, mini widget-like apps such as Pandora, WeatherBug, etc would make it awesome.

The 6G nano is a step in that direction.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010

It needs a software update. Maybe a capacity bump (to 220GB) and other small things. Not caring about it makes me feel they're going to ditch it someday. Only two "real" iPods are existing now, Classic and Touch. If they kill classic, it'd really be bad...they're already selling iPod Shuffle Touch as Nano :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.