Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello guys,

I have the iPhone 4 for three months now and I'm having the feeling it’s getting slow and chunky. When it was new it felt so fast and responsive but now it's getting slow and the menu animations are chunky some times. I don’t have many apps installed so I don’t think that’s the problem. I have the latest version (4.2.1).

Am I alone here or there are others having the same experience...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hello guys,

I have the iPhone 4 for three months now and I'm having the feeling it’s getting slow and chunky. When it was new it felt so fast and responsive but now it's getting slow and the menu animations are chunky some times. I don’t have many apps installed so I don’t think that’s the problem. I have the latest version (4.2.1).

I know others are going to bash me for saying this but it works for me and many other people. Close everything in your multitasking dock, restart your phone and you should be good to go. Never fails me.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
I have restored my iPhone 4 as new multiple times and after a while it's still slowing down.

3G, BT, Spotlight, Location Services all off. Multi-tasking bar closed out.

Only 22 3rd party apps loaded.

I'm not sure if it's really getting slower or if it's just the slow animations 4.2.1 introduced. Contemplating putting 4.3b2 back on my iPhone 4 as it seemed smoother. :confused:

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I have restored my iPhone 4 as new multiple times and after a while it's still slowing down.

3G, BT, Spotlight, Location Services all off. Multi-tasking bar closed out.

Only 22 3rd party apps loaded.

I'm not sure if it's really getting slower or if it's just the slow animations 4.2.1 introduced. Contemplating putting 4.3b2 back on my iPhone 4 as it seemed smoother. :confused:

Where can I download 4.3b2?

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I know others are going to bash me for saying this but it works for me and many other people. Close everything in your multitasking dock, restart your phone and you should be good to go. Never fails me.

This.

rust0r

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
I honestly believe you have just acclimated to the product, I've experience this myself. It's that feeling when you get something new, it's so "AMAZING", however over time you get use to it's speed, that was once new and fast is now "the norm". It happens with everything, new computers, cars, etc.

I thought the same of my phone awhile back so I completely formatted it and set it up as new, to my surprise, there was no change, I had just gotten use to it.

haulis

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I honestly believe you have just acclimated to the product, I've experience this myself. It's that feeling when you get something new, it's so "AMAZING", however over time you get use to it's speed, that was once new and fast is now "the norm". It happens with everything, new computers, cars, etc.

I thought the same of my phone awhile back so I completely formatted it and set it up as new, to my surprise, there was no change, I had just gotten use to it.

I disagree. My 3GS is smoother than my iPhone 4 with the same firmware version. I definitely remember 4.0 being MUCH smoother.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Developers only.

................. :(

Lol. Try googling it if you're not a dev. Keep the risks in mind at all times. I know i'm being vague but I'm not going to come out and tell the step by step process in obtaining the next build. I strongly suggest waiting until the official version comes out - I feel it is faster on the iPad and should be on the iPhone as well.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
It's not just you, I've also noticed that my iPhone 4 is getting pretty slow and laggy at launching apps or quiting out of them. It's like Windows 98 where the longer you have it, the slower it gets.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

saberahul said:
Developers only.

................. :(

Lol. Try googling it if you're not a dev. Keep the risks in mind at all times. I know i'm being vague but I'm not going to come out and tell the step by step process in obtaining the next build. I strongly suggest waiting until the official version comes out - I feel it is faster on the iPad and should be on the iPhone as well.

You cannot put a beta on your phone without being a dev or on a dev account. You will brick it. Google won't help you with that you need to wait for the GM Build.

Gordon Gekko

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Wall Street
Take it to the Apple Store and let a Genius have a look at it. You may end up with a replacement phone if convey that you are very unhappy with it.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hard reboot the phone by holding down the sleep and home buttons until an Apple logo appears. This fixed my slowdown issues completely.

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Me and 2 othe people who have an iPhone 4 have also noticed it running slower and some apps taking for ever to turn on. A lot of the things run slow on it. I have had every iPhone since 2007 and this one runs the slowest I have noticed.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Hello guys,

3 words in 1: FakeClockUp you'll never regret it.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

No question this is an issue. Happened to me recently as well. Folders lag a bit before opening, certain apps slow down, etc. Rebooting did the trick for me but the phone still slows down after a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.