Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I bought a simple converter from Radio Shack to plug my U.S. power items into... mainly my laptop and iPhone and/or iPad.

Will that be ok or do I need a voltage converter too? I don't want to fry anything.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
All Apple power adaptors (especially those which feature the "duck head" design, which includes the iPad USB power adaptor) accept 110-240v. To confirm this, it should be printed in small grey font directly on the adaptor itself.

In other words, you only need a plug adaptor, not a power converter. Have a great trip! :)

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
All Apple power adaptors (especially those which feature the "duck head" design, which includes the iPad USB power adaptor) accept 110-240v. To confirm this, it should be printed in small grey font directly on the adaptor itself.

In other words, you only need a plug adaptor, not a power converter. Have a great trip! :)

Agreed. OP -where are you going?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
You'll be fine, we run on 240V in the UK.....

Have a good trip, if you've not been to london before you'll love it, there's only one place in the world ive been to so far that i'd consider leaving london for.

Make sure you go and look round 'hidden' london....... there's lots of vey cool stuff that the tourist trail skips straight over ;)

Chewbaca

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
If that fails you'll find most internet cafes will have chargers you can use as well.

The Boat Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
United Kingdom
It'll be fine

Your charger will work fine. I bought my iPad last April from the Albuquerque Apple store and it's been charging just fine since I brought it back to the UK a week later. Use your adapter and all will be fine. Enjoy yourself and have a pint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.