Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Well, I bought my mac pro a couple of days ago and I'm loving it so far :)

But... I'm having 2 issues with it:

1) I'm having the sleep freeze issue. When I wake the computer up from sleep after it hasn't been used for a while it freezes and I have to do a hard restart. I googled it but never found any answer to how to fix it...

2) When I play games in bootcamp (Windows 7) I get a black screen after 3-5 minutes and have to restart the comp (sometimes the game just crashes but most of the time I have to do a hard restart). I've downloaded the latest ATI drives so thats not the problem. Anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it? I have the 5870 graphics card.

Thanks for your help! :)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Take that thing back to the store. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. None of that is normal at all.

(Offhand, I'd bet that the graphics card is bad, but that's up to Apple to figure out.)

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Thanks for the reply, will call them tomorrow cuz now the computer wont turn off... only way for me to get it to turn off is to pull out the power cord, holding the power button just puts it to sleep no matter how long I'm pressing it.

This means that I'll probably have to leave it at Apple and then wait for them to fix it... getting frustrating :(

Every mac I've had these last 3 months (3 iMacs, 1 MP) has had issues... :mad:

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
Why do you use the sleep-function at all? On all of my Mac Pro's the first thing I did was to disable the whole harddrive sleep function, so that only the screen goes black after 10-15 mins. Less strain on the harddrives and no sleep issues, no delay whatsoever and no issues.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Why do you use the sleep-function at all? On all of my Mac Pro's the first thing I did was to disable the whole harddrive sleep function, so that only the screen goes black after 10-15 mins. Less strain on the harddrives and no sleep issues, no delay whatsoever and no issues.

Doesn't really matter, whether he uses sleep or not something is wrong with his machine...

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
Well, since we hear regularly about sleep issues I think it's a win-win situation to just disable the whole thing. But that's just me.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Actually I haven't had the sleep issue since yesterday :) I repaired the disk permissions and added 12gb ram and since then its worked. I'm also able to shut the computer down now after having repaired the disk permissions.

Now the only thing left is the graphics card which I tried to fix all night. Apparently, I lot of people are having the same problem (on mac and pc), but going to call apple later today to see if they can send me a new card.

Do they send replacement parts or do I have to go to the Apple store?

ttcircus

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
@mrt209:
have you solve your issues? Regarding the black screen in windows 7, when it happens, does everything apart from the screen still work? ie are the sound, the mouse etc still on?
Also, is it Windows7 64?
I'm asking that because i've encountered similar problems on a few imacs. I realised bootcamp installs nvidia files and adds nvidia keys in the registry and that conflicts with the ATI drivers. I removed all traces of nvidia with a free software called driver sweeper http://phyxion.net/Downloads/ and I haven't had any black screen issues since then.

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Well, since we hear regularly about sleep issues I think it's a win-win situation to just disable the whole thing. But that's just me.

Argh, why would you tell people that?

This is like saying "Sure, my left arm is starting to twitch on it's own, but it's ok because I write with my right hand."

Issues like this are indicative of a greater problem, and indicates a fault of some sort with the machine, which is especially worrisome because it's brand new.

Good to hear permissions seemed to fix the shut down issue, but obviously something is still wrong with the GPU.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
@mrt209:
have you solve your issues? Regarding the black screen in windows 7, when it happens, does everything apart from the screen still work? ie are the sound, the mouse etc still on?
Also, is it Windows7 64?
I'm asking that because i've encountered similar problems on a few imacs. I realised bootcamp installs nvidia files and adds nvidia keys in the registry and that conflicts with the ATI drivers. I removed all traces of nvidia with a free software called driver sweeper http://phyxion.net/Downloads/ and I haven't had any black screen issues since then.

Hi, thanks will try that :) Still having problems but now its also started to crash on mac. But will see if that helps if not I'm going to call apple.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Didn't fix it so called Apple. They said the issue is fairly new and they're still researching it so they want my mac pro.

I'm going to turn it in at the Apple store and then they'll give me a new one. Hopefully the new one doesn't have any issues. If it does then I at least have senior advisors phone number :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.